Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why Women Should Not Run
Quote | Reply
Oh great. This might explain why the weight isn't coming off.

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/...omen-should-not-run/

What do y'all think of this?
Quote Reply
Re: Why Women Should Not Run [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read the article and tend to agree, but it leaves out some salient points. Mainly that at all levels of exercise, fat and carbohydrate stores are used as energy sources to fuel the body. As you go faster, more carbs and less fat is used, until at your individual anaerobic threshold, fat burning ceases.

If you were to stay aerobic, i.e. below your threshold, fat burning will continue, depending on your speed and conditioning.

The article was really to address figure and body-building competitors, as compared to endurance runners. Being aware of thyroid levels is a good idea if weight is not budging, despite calorie intake restriction and energy output increase.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im going to check through all of the references in that piece, because I dont buy it.
The most ripped girls I know are the ones that train the hardest. Simple as that. They dont fluff around on treadmils, they get out and pound the pavement, hard.

A quick look through his reference list and almost all references were more than 20 years old! Really? There has been NO studies investigating cardio in women in twenty years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
totally do not buy it
I do think strength work is important for many reasons - and does help in combination with cardio for fat loss but to say stop doing cardio is total BS

even my n of 1 I lose the most weight through running (and of course shutting my pie hole)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped reading when they were talking about Thyroid hormone levels. There are SO many things that affect this especially in women. Pregnancy, stress, pain, etc. To link that solely to exercise is asinine. While I don't disagree that one needs to vary routine, work at different levels, add resistance exercises I think the premise that cardio is bad is overkill.

There are many positives to cardio beyond the heart and weight loss....mood elevation, improved mental processing, improved focus, long term lowering of cortisol, etc, etc, etc.

Too much of anything can be detrimental, but I think this piece goes too far.

Quote | Reply
I think it's garbage...I despise any article that makes blanket statements like that without truly supported scientific facts. The reason that a lot of people don't lose weight (both genders) is because they lie to themselves about the reality of their diet and the consistency of their exercise program.

Case in point: I have a friend who goes to "workout" for almost two hours each day. Most of this is steady-state cardio and a little bit of weight training...and when I say a little, I mean really low weights. She is losing some weight, but not much, and she constantly wonders why. It's because she's cheating on the food front...and it's only hurting her progress. I have male friends who are the same.

Running is good for you, regardless of who you are. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Why Women Should Not Run [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Im going to check through all of the references in that piece, because I dont buy it.
The most ripped girls I know are the ones that train the hardest. Simple as that. They dont fluff around on treadmils, they get out and pound the pavement, hard.

A quick look through his reference list and almost all references were more than 20 years old! Really? There has been NO studies investigating cardio in women in twenty years?

While I applaud the author for including references, I thought the same...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally think that running is the easiest way to lose weight. Cycling, swimming, not so much.

I do think that there is probably some merit to the argument that endurance training and racing has a negative impact on thyroid hormones. That just makes evolutionary sense to me.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As some one with a thyroid problem, I tend to follow the Maffetone philosophy re: cardio & fat burning. For me (n=1) I have to train my body to use fat as fuel and that means understanding where my tipping point is, where I switch from more fat used in releasing energy vs. needing more carbs instead. If I do weights, even though I enjoy doing them, I bulk up pretty damn fast (wish I had a pic of my legs back in Uni man oh man HUGE and decently ripped but was I healthy? was I able to run a marathon or even 10k? hell no). If I really want to lose weight it's cutting out the garbage calories and upping the training load.

I think that each one us has so many factors at play that to publish an opinion like this without clearly stating that's all it is, does a great disservice to women who are thinking of improving their cardio fitness.

Oh and BTW, body fat is not the only indicator of overall health and it certainly isn't the only factor that affects heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Sorry, just found that opinion piece a bit annoying.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Why Women Should Not Run [fitknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fitknight wrote:
Running is good for you, regardless of who you are. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

It looks like a women's body building site, and he appears to be a coach, so yup, always check out what they are selling.

Hoka One One - Field Service Rep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"This “cardio craze” is a form of insanity, and it’s on my hit list. I’m determined to kill it. There are better ways to lose fat, and there are better ways to look good. Your bikini body is not at the end of a marathon, and you won’t find it on a treadmill"

The words "fun" or "enjoyment" were nowhere to be found in this article. This is what I'd say:

DEAR DR. DOUCHEBAG,

WHAT IF (GASP!) I DON'T CARE ABOUT A 'BIKINI BODY' AND I AM HAPPY AND HEALTHY AND I LOVE TO RUN?

ALSO, WHY DOES, LOSE FAT=LOOKING GOOD? WHY, WHY, WHY?!

WHAT IF, INSTEAD, WE DECIDED THE STANDARD WAS, FEELING GOOD=LOOKING GOOD. WHAT A CONCEPT!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Why Women Should Not Run [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npda wrote:
"This “cardio craze” is a form of insanity, and it’s on my hit list. I’m determined to kill it. There are better ways to lose fat, and there are better ways to look good. Your bikini body is not at the end of a marathon, and you won’t find it on a treadmill"

The words "fun" or "enjoyment" were nowhere to be found in this article. This is what I'd say:

DEAR DR. DOUCHEBAG,

WHAT IF (GASP!) I DON'T CARE ABOUT A 'BIKINI BODY' AND I AM HAPPY AND HEALTHY AND I LOVE TO RUN?

ALSO, WHY DOES, LOSE FAT=LOOKING GOOD? WHY, WHY, WHY?!

WHAT IF, INSTEAD, WE DECIDED THE STANDARD WAS, FEELING GOOD=LOOKING GOOD. WHAT A CONCEPT!!!!!

Yes!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eh. calling bs.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You win.

Yes, yes you do. I vote winner.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 95 lbs I've lost calls BS on this too. The completely tasteless picture of the woman doing the deadlift at the end tells you everything you need to know about the author and the target audience.

Coach Brain: Accelerate 3 ; Incoherent Ramblings
Last edited by: Duckie: Apr 30, 13 14:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*UPDATE*

Some folks laid the smackdown on John "I am going to cite 70 scientific papers so I look smart but really I'm just a meathead asshole" Kiefer, who decided to write a blog entry (it's on the OP, I refuse to link to it) that endurance exercise, or as the gymrats like to call it "cardio," makes you fat.

Article: http://gokaleo.com/...1/women-and-running/

Main Point: just because a dude with some exercise degree writes a piece citing actual scientific literature, it does not mean he is citing the literature correctly, or developing theories that are justified based on the published science. If he wanted to write a "here's what I see in the gym everyday and this is what I think, p.s. I have no science to back that up" that would have been fine. Plain observations are an excellent tool to begin hypothesizing and experiments. BUT HE DIDN'T. meathead asshole. excuse me while I go run for four hours and get ginormous wiggly thighs.

Some salient excerpts:

"A main premise of this article is that too much cardio slows the body’s metabolism, especially in women. The author supports this claim with his first collection of citations:...
Five of the eleven citations used here to support steady-state training’s detrimental effects specifically in women relied solely on male subjects [4, 5, 8, 9, 10], and two of those used rats [8, 9]. A sixth looked at mixed subjects [3], though still weighted heavily toward males. When making claims about a specific population, we want studies that use subjects that match the target group as closely as possible. When sex differences exist, we cannot use male subjects to validate processes and outcomes occurring in women. If we ignore this error though and take the group of citations as a whole, it still portrays a very different picture than the one the author is attempting to paint.
The author’s citations highlight that there are responders and non-responders to exercise-induced declines in T3 levels (10 responders to 7 non-responders) [1]. So this problem of reduced T3 does not necessarily manifest in all women all the time. After the initial decline at the start of training seasons, T3 levels started to trend back towards baseline [1, 2]. Others report no change in T3 levels at all [3, 5], in direct contradiction to the author’s claim."

" 'To this end, your body sets into motion a series of reactions that make it difficult for muscle to burn fat at all[36-41]. Instead of burning body fat, your body takes extraordinary measures to retain it.'
The first sentence is in direct contradiction to the previous sources given. Citation 35 found a 100% increase in fat use in muscles. Here again, papers 36-41 are investigating the pathways involved in fat metabolism and its use a fuel substrate. None of these sources show a link between endurance training and the muscles’ ability to burn fat beyond the normal transition to rely more heavily on carbohydrate oxidation as exercise intensity increases. The bold claim that the body takes “extraordinary measures” to retain body fat goes uncited."
"The author goes to great lengths to set up cardio as a metabolism-halting, fat-gaining nightmare, yet never mentions the effect (or lack thereof) of one’s diet on this process."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah...someone beat me to it...I went over his entire literature selection...it's entirely rubbish..doesn't apply to the actual group,
and interestingly, his claim is that weights/crossfit etc works better...but the results pertaining to TSH etc. apply regardless of the
type of activity...he didn't have the intellectual honesty to look at it (since he's just selling stuff)...idiotic article.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Women Should Not Run [Duckie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've lost 14lbs in the last 10 months just by running, no change in diet. It seems to be working for me too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Why Women Should Not Run [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running keeps me sane...

Quote Reply
Re: Why Women Should Not Run [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Running keeps me sane...

Taking up running helped save me from depression 10 years ago...and oh the nice side effect was dumping 25lbs, adopting a healthy lifestyle and eventually completing 2 Ironman races.
But I guess I would have been better off staying on the couch...? Fuck THAT!
Quote Reply