Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Whistler riding partner? [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually in New West, but I could come meet you. I do drive, but I just think it's dumb for us to all be taking vehicles up there - I'm a little green! Where you at?

Quote | Reply
I'm on Main St in Vancouver ... I'll PM you my info.

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YEEE - HAAA! We're on!

http://www.drivebc.ca/...d%20Sunshine%20Coast

===========================================================================
District: Lower Mainland Route: Highway 99 Both Directions Type: Incident Cause: Rock Slide Last Updated On: Aug 02, 2008 10:21 PM
Description:

Road reopened from Lions Bay to Furry Creek Bridge. Updated on Sat Aug 2 at 10:21 pm. (ID# 66107)
============================================================================

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [diva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember exactly how the lots are numbered, but I seem to recall that if you enter via the main road from Hwy 99, go under the footbridge by the hotel and make a left at the junction the driveway that leads to the gravel day lots is immediately to the right. From there there are ~3 lots to the right, and one or two to the left. We might as well try to stick to the closest lot to the main road rather than going deep into the lot and then riding out through the gravel.

I'll PM you with my phone number but don't imagine we'll have too much trouble finding each other. I drive a green Volvo wagon.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, first lot to the right then. That one is never crowded because it's farthest from the bike park lifts. The ones to the left are for buses, so the first one to the right is perfect. I'll be there with the big muddy silver/green Ford Expedition with Texas plates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious to hear how the ride went, but more importantly I'm curious to hear about the cookies.

K

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [YVR K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too! I had to bail this morning... very sad. I think the combination of trying out my new inhaler yesterday + TOM coming to town made me very sick this morning. Didn't strike me I would have a very good day :( I even slept in til 10 this morning (the latest I have gotten up in the last 6+ months is 7am!).

The weather was awesome... must have been great!

Quote | Reply
Holy shit. 135km of hell. That climb out of Mt Currie is ridiculous and the road from there on to Lillooet is brutally paved (bad chipseal and lots of huge potholes). It took us 8hrs. Alexia was the maillot jaune and the KOM (ungodly climbing out of this woman!), Khai won the white jersey as the joung rider, Diva kicked butt on those climbs, she just never stopped going, both Phil and Diva did their longest rides ever yesterday... I took the Lanterne Rouge ;-) (and was glad I didn't take the Soloist, the gearing on that would have killed me - I bonked badly enough as was).

It was 42degC when we got to Lillooet. We all chugged a couple cold cokes and headed back to Whistler for dinner. It was only on that drive back did we truly realize the idiocy of what we had accomplished. Over dinner at some wicked burrito place in the village, talk turned to doing the ride again next August...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crapzony. Well, I'm glad I didn't come with you guys. I was lying in bed for about half an hour debating (always fun at 5am) whether or not I should, but by the sounds of it I would have been in hell. Not to mention, I would have been in big trouble with the coaches if I had done 8 hours!
Maybe next year... :)

Quote | Reply
And the cookies?

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [YVR K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awe-some of course. ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it wasn't exactly 8 hrs of riding, my bike computer says 5h25 ... we stopped a lot and I had 2 flats ....

I hope you feel better ...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it wasn't 8hrs straight, that's for sure. And our two flats were in the first hour at least ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey cuds, it's really too bad that you weren't able to come but from the sounds of it you definitely made the smart choice. Everyone was really looking forward to meeting you, but doing that ride sick would have very likely smoked your IM bid. Staying home to rest was the best thing you could have done.

That was definitely the hardest 135km I've ever ridden, and is up there among the hardest rides I've done, period.

http://www.toporoute.com/...Metric,setFollowRoad

Mt Currie is one nasty sonofabitch, and the road out past Duffy Lake is indeed pretty bad. The chipseal doesn't bother me so much as the huge cracks and potholes that could pretty easily take you out, and then there's the fun road to gravel transition with a 8" dropoff coming down into Lilloet that Phil and Diva hit at speed - luckily everyone stayed upright and intact.

Absolutely stunning scenery, and definitely lots of climbing even well past Mt Currie. That last 20km into Lillooet was killer. I'm SO glad that we had sag support, and also that we didn't start in Squamish. I probably went through 6 bottles of water and there's nowhere to stop once you get out of Pemberton - so lacking either of those would have made for absolute misery...

Total elapsed time was ~8hrs, but actual ride time was closer to 5:45. We lost ~1hr to mechanical, and easily an hour and a half to rest/refuel stops and just stopping by the side of the road to catch breath and psych up for the next pitch.

This is the elevation profile:

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey did any of the pics turnout? ya gotta post a few ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy climbing Batman! Wow! Ya, that would have kicked my ass even more than it was already kicked. I'm already in enough trouble for IMC nevermind putting myself through that. I got some well-needed sleep and am almost 100% today - except for the pain that TOM is causing me.

Hopefully most everyone is going to be at IMC and I can meet most people then.

Quote | Reply
Good, rest is important this close to IM... more important than this ride, that's for sure.

For what it's worth, P and I are planning on doing IMC in 09, and this ride makes Richter and even Yellow look like a walk in the park... so it was a good call to skip it. I'm still super fried out.

We'll be up there, I know Khai will as well, I'm sure they'll be an ST meet-up.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

This is the elevation profile:

WOW! It's a good thing we didn't see this before the ride!

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that elevation map blows my mind! Driving back, I was amazed at the course we rode. I'm sorry I was so vegged out at dinner. My brain was very tired in addition to my body. The company was great and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, now that it's over!! I know I'm insane, but I have every intention of riding it again next June, training two more months on elevation, then riding it on our one year anniversary in August. Now we know exactly what we need and how to do it. I fully believe a guardian angel was watching over Phil and I when we hit that giant rut at full speed. This was a great confidence builder for me and I appreciate each and every one of you and your contributions to the ride. Good luck with your up and coming races and say a prayer for me on the morning of Timberman. B.C. Rocks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry to hear the roadbed was in such a sorry state.

--Rant On-- When I left Lillooet, shortly after Vancouver had been rewarded the Winter games, there was a lot of hope that some of the money would go to improving the Duffy. They were suppose to repave about 20-30 km each year. This would be used as an alternate (shorter) route to get people from the rest of Canada to the games. It sounds like not much repaving has occurred. Hopefully all the people who had to use this route over the last week due to the rockslide can complain to the Ministry of Transportation about the road conditions. The gov't only seems to listen to people from the lower mainland. -- Rant off--

I have only ridden small portions of that route, on a mountain bike with slicks, so I can only admire you folks. I'm glad to hear that Khai didn't end up in the Cayoosh and that some of you are willing to attempt it again next year.

How was the traffic, and did anyone go for a dip in Seton Lake, sounds like it was hot enough.

Sharon
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey did any of the pics turnout? ya gotta post a few ;-)

Big smiles pre-ride...

Rolling Out

The view from where we stopped for Alexia's 1st Flat (on the road - 2nd of the day)

Self Portrait

Phil, climbing

Alexia's 2nd Flat

The last time we'd see Alexia for a LONG time...

The climb

(Official) Rest Stop #1

More Climbin'

Close to the Summit

We made it!

Duffy Lake

The climb into Lilloet

The hole that almost ate Phil & diva...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I start at the first pic and I'm really jealous. Look at how happy you guys were and what a beautiful day. Then I get to the pic of you at the rest point. Dude, you look like you were about to die! That picture reaffirms that my decision not to join you guys was the best decision of my life! haha :)

Quote | Reply
I am laughing!! Where's the picture in front of the dusty, dive bar in Lillooet when we're done? I hope we don't look as beat up as I felt.
That picture of Duffy Lake is very beautiful. Thanks for the great photography.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<edit>

I took a closer look at the "pre-ride" picture and have determined that the arm warmers are Andy's.

Nice one, detective.

Thank you, Watson.

=====

I've acquired a pair of arm warmers. MEC. Labels cut out.

I figure they're either Alexia's or Andy's.

Are either of you two missing your arm warmers?

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Last edited by: Khai: Aug 5, 08 20:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think any of us was "all there" at dinner!

By next year the memories of all the pain may have subsided enough for you to get some people on board again...

You're going to do awesome at Timberman!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply

Prev Next