Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Whistler riding partner? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to my coaches wishes, my long ride for that weekend will be 4-5 hours and long run 90-120 mins. So, I would prefer the shorter ride so that I can actually do what my coaches tell me for a change.
Saturday or Sunday ride would be best for me so that I can do my run on whichever we don't ride.
But whatever... tell me what I'm doing. lol

Quote | Reply
I vote Whistler start, and I am only really capable of doing Whistler to Lillooet with a drive back. P and I can ride Sun or Mon.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
According to my coaches wishes...

... But whatever... tell me what I'm doing. lol

I hope I don't know your coach or (s)he's going to be pissed (at me) that you'd listen to me rather than him/her! :p

So far it's looking like Sunday or Monday, Whistler to Lillooet (& drive back).

We'll have to keep an eye on our numbers to make sure that everyone (& their bike) has a ride home!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to come. I'm racing on Sunday (3rd) in Black Diamond, so my pref would be Monday from Whistler 1 way ...

Cheers

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, hope you can come... The 1-way seems the favoured option. Diva, what's the set-up on the vehicle (type & # of seats)? If you have a hitch we could look at renting a small bike trailer. Or we may have to arrange another vehicle... heck you can't even ride the pooch (Greyhound Bus) from Lillooet to Whistler!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the vehicle could be an issue, I think I would be ok with doing both there and back ONLY IF we stay over night in Lillooet. That might be a lot of fun actually.

Accommodations on Hello BC for Lillooet here.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I have been negligent on this thread. Husband had a mountain bike crash/injury which demanded some attention.

Any day is fine for me. My husband cannot drive support vehicle for us on Sunday because he is doing a mountain biking thing. (Assuming he's recovered.)

However, I want to ride about 100K of this route. I am hoping someone would rotate some of the riding with me. I have a Ford Expedition which has seats for five, (the third seat is out of the vehicle) room for several bikes in the back, and a bike rack on the rear for three more bikes. My cycling is improving but I don't think I can ride the whole thing. I would be happy returning that night or spending the night and driving the vehicle for the other riders the next day. We could leave from Whistler or Pemberton although it might be easier to load up all our supplies from my place in Whistler.

I'm looking forward to riding such a beautiful road and getting in more climbing time. PM me if you want to discuss further details. This is going to be an awesome ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [diva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn - crashing sucks! I hope your husband recovers quickly.

It's sounding like Monday, Whistler to Lillooet & drive back that night will work best for everyone.

I count six riders thus far:
Andy
Phil
Cuds
Alexis
Diva
Khai

Hopefully I haven't missed anyone but if I have, please speak up! It also sounds like we may need a second driver as we'll have seven people and 6 bikes (at least) on the return trip. I'll see if Jen is interested and available. Worst case I could probably take the Tuesday off work and ride back solo/with anyone who wants extra saddle time.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would any of these riders want to rotate part of the driving with me? If they all want to do all the mileage, I can find a college student from around here who would probably do the driving. That takes up another seat in the vehicle though, and I was hoping we could get by with one vehicle. I suppose we can play it by ear as it's two weeks out and people may add or drop depending on what is happening that specific weekend. I'm committed though and looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect that once you get out there, you'll want to finish the entire thing... ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! You could be right. The farthest I have cycled is 70 miles though and it had no elevation. My rides in the past two months have only been about 35 miles each but loaded with long hills. I'm actually curious what my body could do and we would still need someone to drive the vehicle. I'm working on that one....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as you keep it fueled, I'm sure that your body will respond just fine. Maybe don't take off from Whistler at 40kph... ;p

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I actually think I probably could slug it out although it would be slow. I've done some ultra marathons and you just stick it out. I'm obsessed with Lake Placid now and rooting for Caitlin Shea-Kinney. Her Mom is my friend and coach. She's a great athlete herself and it looks like Caitlin is following in her mother's footsteps. So exciting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's one hell of a run she just had today!

Awesome to "watch".

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I won't be barreling along at any crazy speed, I'll be going steady and slow. And remember that once you finish that very long nasty hill at Mt Currie, it is essentially downhill to Lillooet... ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you have great weather on your ride. It will probably be intolerably hot in Lillooet for the Vancouverites. Fortunately you ride past Seton Lake which has a great public beach for swimming. The lake is on your left as you make your final descent, and the wall of heat hits you. The lake is partially glacial fed, hence the lovely blue colour, and very refreshing to swim in.

Here's a pic of the final descent into town:

Here's Seton Lake:

From the scenic overlook of Seton Lk, you can often spot mountain goats on the rock outcrops to the north. Just look for anything white.

I would recommend Dina's Restaurant for dinner (greek), but I've been gone for three years, so things may have changed. If anyone does stay overnight, I would recommend the 4 Pines. The Mile "0" is right beside the railway. Avoid the Reynolds and The Vic if you actually want to sleep (good places to get a beer though). A good hearty breakfast can be had at Lou's.

Have fun and watch for rocks on the road (especially after you cross the aptly named Boulder Creek).

Oh and AP, there is more climbing just before you get to Lillooet, it's just not quite as long and it has a mix of up and down.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [Sharon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those pictures are exquisite!! Thank you. As a South Texas chick, the heat is the one thing I am NOT worried about. It's normal for me to ride/run in 90-100 degree heat for months on end. After living in that kind of heat with intense humidity, it' one of the few advantages I have, especially in running. This is going to be a breathtakingly beautiful ride.
Thanks for all your tips. Wish you were joining us. I'm still working on getting us back that night. I rode with a local Saturday and he told me the road has a lot of holes in it since winter and to keep a sharp eye for them. Khai, have we definitely decided on Monday and how many people are committed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those pictures have me totally pumped about this ride!

I think we're set at six riders and Monday - that seems to work for everyone who's stepped forward.

Anyone who isn't on this list who does want to ride, speak up!

Andy
Phil
Cuds
Alexis
Diva
Khai

Not sure on vehicle logistics yet, but that's not a huge problem to overcome...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll still be in Seattle after Xterra Black Diamond. Sounds like a great ride though!
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come back early! I'll be at Black Diamond on Sunday, and up in Whistler on Monday ... I'll be dead tired but happy!!!

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the person you mentioned driving seem likely? My husband said if we did Friday or Saturday he could do it for us, but not Sunday or Monday since he is doing a mountain bike camp. (How he plans to do that with a broken tail bone, I don't know. I won't even go there, that's probably worth a new thread.) If she can't, I'm feeling out a few college kids that I know around Whistler to see if they can do it. I'll keep you posted how that develops. With a driver, that would make 7 to ride and 6 bikes to haul. It would be cramped, but not impossible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I have someone to drive for us and he is actually a bike mechanic! Things have a way of working out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, how's that for karma - apparently we were meant to do this ride ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler riding partner? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I think so too. I have to confess I'm relieved because I know I will be bringing up the rear and I have yet to successfully change a flat by myself! How hard can it be???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I think I'll be in the back with you sister, and I can show you how to change a flat no problem (clinchers right?)...

------------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next