Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What would you have done?
Quote | Reply
This past weekend I participated in the Weekend Cycle Oregon. On day two we were finishing up our ride and QRGirl told me (at least I think that's what I heard) to bridge the gap between us and the people in front of us (a man and his wife; probably in their late 50's). I love to bridge the gap so I did just that.

Well, as soon as I catch them I sit back, I realize that QRGirl and our other friend were no longer with me (which is why I'm now wondering if she ever told me to bridge the gap, but this has nothing to do with the story). So the husband is first, then his wife and me. I see the woman look in her helmet rear-view mirror at me and she says, "Oh.....No....No.....No....., *says husbands name* when we get to the top of this hill we are STOPPING and I THINK YOU KNOW WHY"....then she says "get the F*CK around me" (or something like that).

So what I interrupted was this "No you aren't riding with us or anywhere around us..."... the "get the F*UCK around me" was aimed right at me, to keep on moving.

Although I can totally appreciate people wanting to ride solo, whoa.....do you have to be such an ass about it?

So....I realize that QRGirl + are not with me and I slow up and rude ass lady and her husband keep going (never stop at the top of the hill, huh imagine that). Once we are all together again, I start reeling in the jerkwad hoochie and her husband once again. Just as we are within 100 feet of them the husband stops to help a solo rider change a flat. I couldn't help myself but to say "BITCH" as I rode past the crabby old woman.

What would you have done?

Quote | Reply
The same thing lol :D

Quote | Reply
Yep, same thing. I hate rude people. WTF is wrong with people like that?

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: What would you have done? [wolffpack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blow a snot rocket her way as you rode by!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that is not nice. That was me I said “Get in Front of Me" You have to listen very carefully.

Just kidding around.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably would've done the same and added something along the lines of "what the hell is your problem?" and an inappropriate gesture with a middle finger. Obviously, those people need to just spend their money in therapy for anger issues vs. spending time outside on their bikes. Sheesh. All they would've needed to do is just sit up and let you pass or ask you nicely to just go ahead. No big deal. I mean, seriously, WTF with the attitude?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we talking about the same QRGirl? Of all the things I can imagine here saying, "bridge the gap" would not be in the top 10. :)

Since I decided to chime in with that gem, I thought I would answer your question from a male perspective. I don't take very kindly to people riding up on me and sitting in whatever the circumstances. I would probably have sat up and stared at your until you got the picture or there would have been words (I'm also adroit at snot rockets in both directions with accuracy -- I know my mother would be so proud). I don't want anyone I don't know near my wheel and you shouldn't either. Yes, it was rude how the reacted but it was a lot nicer that I've seen some roadies treat uninvited interlopers. You were in the right, no doubt about it, but you should not have been in there in first place in my humble opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was rude. In an organized ride they should have been prepared to tell people to drop off. I can understand people not liking others on their wheel. It happens to me a lot and the last time I just turned to the guy we passed and said "We are on a date, would you mind giving us some privacy"
Quote Reply
Re: What would you have done? [centermiddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are we talking about the same QRGirl? Of all the things I can imagine here saying, "bridge the gap" would not be in the top 10. :)
[/quote]
QRGirl is my buddy. And ok so she didn't say "bridge the gap" she said something more like "Leslie, catch up to them"....guess I'm b-u-s-t-e-d! :)

In Reply To:
I don't want anyone I don't know near my wheel and you shouldn't either. Yes, it was rude how the reacted but it was a lot nicer that I've seen some roadies treat uninvited interlopers. You were in the right, no doubt about it, but you should not have been in there in first place in my humble opinion.[/quote] In hindsight I look back on the situation and totally agree with you. Shouldn't have done it. The lady was a total bitch though. There were at least 500 riders during that weekend and at many different points you didn't have an option but to ride with people. If she couldn't handle that the hooch shouldn't have been doing a ride with so many people. Next time, I'll bridge the gap and fly right on by!

Quote | Reply
I've waved people off my wheel when they've snuck up on me. I've also turned around and asked them not to ride on my wheel, saying something about not being used to riding in a paceline.

It drives me nuts when people sneak up on me. Not even a Hi to let me know they are there or to be polite. If I'm coming up on someone I'll call out and say hi to be social. Especially in a big organized ride like that. You get all kinds of riders.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was fast, everyone sucked my wheel; I didn't ever say anything because I thought I was Gooooood. But now that I suck badly I try and hang on to other wheels and all I get told is to F$%# off. How rude is that. What is a girl supposed to do?. I can't hang onto the guys, they are much too fast. The only ones I can hang onto are the guys who belong to the biggest loser club. Their ass is great as a wind protector.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone told me one time: "Why would you want to exhibit the same behavior that you had a problem with?"
Quote Reply
Re: What would you have done? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Someone told me one time: "Why would you want to exhibit the same behavior that you had a problem with?"[/quote] So, I'm curious.....do you think its 'bitchy' to call someone a 'bitch'? :P

Quote | Reply
My butt was busted after trying to bridg the gap so I think I choked out something like "Les catch them..." which she did as I gasped and fell off the back. Ah the story of my life.

The thing is Cycle Oregon is a large ride. The weekend version isn't as big as the week long ride, but there are several hundred riders that participate. Pace lines gets formed and it's fun. We had sat in with some middle aged dudes in the morning then a sweet young guy pulled us through a nasty headwind into lunch. (Good lord we sound like a bunch of wheel suckers.) Lunch time guy was great, I yelled thank you when we got to the stop and he laughed and asked if the pace was OK.

It was unfortunate that nasty lady resorted to profanity, it was certainly uncalled for.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you have done? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My butt was busted after trying to bridg the gap so I think I choked out something like "Les catch them..." which she did as I gasped and fell off the back. Ah the story of my life.

The thing is Cycle Oregon is a large ride. The weekend version isn't as big as the week long ride, but there are several hundred riders that participate. Pace lines gets formed and it's fun. We had sat in with some middle aged dudes in the morning then a sweet young guy pulled us through a nasty headwind into lunch. (Good lord we sound like a bunch of wheel suckers.) Lunch time guy was great, I yelled thank you when we got to the stop and he laughed and asked if the pace was OK.

It was unfortunate that nasty lady resorted to profanity, it was certainly uncalled for.
That's the thing - for a big organized group ride like that, you have to expect that people will come up on you, might hang out there for awhile, and you should ride accordingly. That's quite a bit different from being out on a solo ride in the country and someone comes up behind you unexpectedly. That would both freak me out and annoy me if they stuck around - if I'm riding in Bumblefuck at 6AM on a Wednesday by myself, it's generally because I want to ride alone. But for an organized ride, that idea seems kind of silly. And even if the woman wanted to ride alone with her husband, she didn't have to be so bitchy about it, given the circumstances of the ride!

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would have rode on by and not even looked.

if it was 2 men though, i would have thrown out a "dickhead!" and probably would have stopped to bash their faces in.
(just kidding)

people are nuts. so just ride right on by. take it as karma they got the flat and you didn't.

i really think many cyclists are not equipped to handle any kind of tight riding. they get nervous and cannot handle when someone comes up on their wheel. especially the types of riders that are found at events like the one you're talking about. it was always a policy of mine to never right tight with people i didn't know well. with that said, there were plenty of times people would ride up on me, so my thought was to just go faster and shake them if i didn't like it. but there are times when there is a fruitfly cyclist who just cannot go away no matter what. but that is another topic.

overall though, i see no point in getting nasty. if she was uncomfortable she could have said, "go around please" or just motioned you around, which would have been the most proper. a lesson though is to not ride up on strangers and get close. i think that is fine in a roadie ride with peeps you know (and that is the tone of the ride), but i would never do that in a big event like that. generally, it is not welcome.

of course now i'm just a wasteoid with no cycling at all this year. i probably couldn't ride 5 fucking miles if my life depended on it. i would be lucky to suck the wheel of a sloth.
Last edited by: kittycat: Aug 6, 08 19:32
Quote Reply
Re: What would you have done? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would be lucky to suck the wheel of a sloth.

I have just found my first ST quote sig file!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply