Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What wheels do you ride?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to finally upgrade my wheels and after reading through wheel info my head is spinning. I don't really want to spend a ton of money...just some good wheels for most conditions/races at a good price. I've focused on the FP 80s but now feel like I have no clue what I should be looking for. I'm a light, not particularly strong MOP to FOP cyclist. What would you buy? What have you ridden that you really like?
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels do you ride? [reet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, i'm a big believer in saving weight, so my choice is Zipp. i really don't care what they cost. they are IMHO, the best wheels on the market. on a hilly IM course, like LP, they are worth their weight in gold. i'd guess about 10-15 minutes worth, in fact over my training wheels. love my Zipps.

S
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels do you ride? [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Zipps do you have, if you don't mind me asking?
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels do you ride? [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
404's. go look on ebay or the ST classified, and you can get a used set wayyyy cheaper than retail. mine are used, 10 years, no problems.

S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm riding and racing HED Jets (60/90 combo) & really like them -- responsive, noticably faster (based on TT results) and sturdy. At first I had planned to use them just for racing, but swapping out wheels was sort of a pain (or I'm just really lazy ... maybe a bit of both) & I've now used them extensively for training and racing for 2+ years & they're still true. They're heavier than Zipps, of course, but the Zipps were far out of my price range.

Beyond the more traditional aero wheel manufacturers, you might want to check out Williams Cycling. Their disc is made by Zipp & their aero wheels look pretty sweet too. Especially at the advertised prices. So far in 2008, tThere have been several articles and reviews featuring Williams' wheels ... all of the ones I have read were very positive.

Happy shopping :)
Last edited by: cowbella: Apr 17, 08 10:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have soem Lew racewheels for sale. They are the lightest brand on teh market. Look at their website and let me knwo if you are interested. These are 700 and Shimano compatible. Retail for about $3000, would sale for $1500 inclues shipping and insurance. they are in excellent condition. I am only selling b/c my team got another wheel sponsor.

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels do you ride? [joenjolene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a classified forum for posts like this. Thanks.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels do you ride? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of custom built race wheels with the Zipp 303 rim, DT swiss bladed spokes, and the american classic hubs because they were lighter than the stock zipp hub.
Love them. I love how light they are. They're perfect. I have a clincher disc wheel as well, but It's a Renn and a little heavy, my husband likes to use it but I like the zipp's he built me much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deff check out the FP60 or 80, and the HED JET lineup.

both are great wheels and at good prices. and if you look you can find them used for less

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used zipp 303's and I really liked them but alas I sold my old bike (it was 650cc and my new bike is 700cc) so the wheels went as well. I got a sweet deal on a pair of Shimano Dura Ace wheels that were barely used. I haven't used them yet (the snow has FINALLY gone in Ontario) but I'm hoping to take them for a spin this weekend.

===============================================

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

http://www.teamrunningfree.com
http://ironmanredux.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For training. Self built Velocity deep V with 14guage straight spokes, chris king hubs. Heavy, stiff and tough. After 8 years never have had to true them, and still going strong. For racing, Corima Aero's and a rear disc on occasion. Both sets of wheels are like night and day, but they each serve their purposes very nicely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My training wheels are Kysirium (sp??). Racing wheels at Zipp 303 on front and 404 on back. Love 'em all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race on zipps, they are simply the fastest wheels out there. And their quality and support is outstanding. I also use clinchers, because with the right type/size tire and the right tubes, they are significantly faster than tubulars for tri racing, no kidding. And not to mention, they're a lot easier to maintain and fix. I don't really like solid discs or solid 3-spoke wheels because they're heavier, harder to accelerate, and have a harsher ride.

But I train on an old set of regular box-section rim 32-spoke wheels with big tires. There's no need to take your thousand dollar wheels out to train every day on the potholes and in the weather, who cares if you get home 5 minutes faster. We're out there to ride and get fitter, hopefully with minimal flats.

If I were buying race wheels today, and cost was not a big factor, I would put zipps at the top of the list. If cost was a big factor, I would buy the zipp flashpoints, which you mentioned (FP80s). They are 98% as fast as zipps, just a couple of grams heavier, which has a tiny effect on speed. Next on my list would be deep section wheels from Hed. I hope that helps you a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels do you ride? [redrunningshoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wondering, why did you change from 650cc to 700cc wheels? I have had a bike fit and they put me on the 650cc, I do feel out a little and when I think of a new bike with 700cc wheels, the bike fit people always say no. I am always told that 650cc wheels suite my build and height best. I am 5.3 feet and my torso is short but my legs are longer. Due to my body being short, the top tube is short. I feel like I am the only one riding 650cc wheels. Is there anyone out there who is also riding with 650cc wheels?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Do race wheels help ANYONE go faster? Or do you have to be at sort of a competetively fast level already to benefit from them.

Also, in the past , at a few LBS's I have inquired about race wheels and they cut me off immediately saying I am too light to really gain any benny from them. This comment has been made not once but twice or 3x. I weigh 111....been doing lots of recovery eating, I guess I was more like 109 when those comments were made.

I have some slightly aero wheels currently (Easton Circuit - they have the long valve) and I have come pretty close to being blown over already.

If I am way off base on any of this please feel free to set me straight. I am an old rider, but have more of a longtime touring mentality -- all the going fast stuff is new to me. I do not profess to know this stuff...biking is by far my largest limiter and I' m working really hard to improve that. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels do you ride? [pine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just over 5ft 5.5 in and my torso is a little short. When I bought my first tri-bike, I had researched a few bikes and felt that the Cannondale Ironman 2000 would be my best bet for the money. My husband was using 650cc race wheels at the time so he suggested that if 650 wheels were an option for me, then that's what I should get. Both of us were real newbies and didn't know any different but, in hindsight, I think I was on a bike that wasn't exactly right for me. I am now on a Scott Plasma Contessa (700 cc) and it fits me MUCH better than the Cannondale did. I'm way more comfortable on it that I was the Cannondale. So, that's why I switched to 700 cc.

===============================================

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

http://www.teamrunningfree.com
http://ironmanredux.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zipp 404s with powertap.
adore them

no QUESTION that I am faster with them

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 quick questions;

1. Will these mainly be race wheels only or all time wheels?
2. What distances do you race?

Reasoning for question 1; one would tend to go with mid priced all time wheels versus high priced race only wheels(multiple reasons).
Reasoning for question 2; only advantage clinchers have over tubulars is flat change-cost and time. Take away the whole tubular is faster than clincher(or vice versa) debate, tubulars get the weight advantage. I race short distances so a flat(regardless of clincher or tubular) takes me out of contention or will have a huge impact(percentage wise) on my overall time. Hence my choice of tubulars. If you race iron distances though, the flat change time will have less impact and clinchers might be the wiser choice(operative word "might" cause there are those that can change tubulars as fast as clinchers).

Personally I use tubular zipp 404's+wheel cover. Got a REALLY REALLY good deal on them-only reason why I got them. Love them but like everyone else have said, cannot go wrong with Zipps if money isn't a concern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm 5'1" with long legs and a short torso, and I'm about to buy a bike with 650s.
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels do you ride? [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Do race wheels help ANYONE go faster? Or do you have to be at sort of a competetively fast level already to benefit from them.

Also, in the past , at a few LBS's I have inquired about race wheels and they cut me off immediately saying I am too light to really gain any benny from them. This comment has been made not once but twice or 3x. I weigh 111....been doing lots of recovery eating, I guess I was more like 109 when those comments were made.

I have some slightly aero wheels currently (Easton Circuit - they have the long valve) and I have come pretty close to being blown over already.

If I am way off base on any of this please feel free to set me straight. I am an old rider, but have more of a longtime touring mentality -- all the going fast stuff is new to me. I do not profess to know this stuff...biking is by far my largest limiter and I' m working really hard to improve that. Thanks.
Yes, they help EVERYONE go faster. Top riders see a greater %age in time savings overall, whereas slower riders will see greater savings in real terms as a function of being out on course longer.

I wouldn't trust your bike shop. Sounds REALLY pretentious.

You might look into a wheel like the zipp 303 if crosswinds are a concern. I tip the scales at 190 lbs (closer to 180 on race day, shooting for below for IM CDA this year) so I just go for a disc and the deepest section front I can get (unfortunately racedaywheels couldn't get their hands on 1080 clinchers for IM CDA this year...argh...settling for an 808 instead...).

Testing out a zipp rental (many shops rent out many brand wheels, so testing out a set that way may be a great way to get some better knowledge.

Cheers!

Seriously, don't take me too seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just wondering, why did you change from 650cc to 700cc wheels? I have had a bike fit and they put me on the 650cc, I do feel out a little and when I think of a new bike with 700cc wheels, the bike fit people always say no. I am always told that 650cc wheels suite my build and height best. I am 5.3 feet and my torso is short but my legs are longer. Due to my body being short, the top tube is short. I feel like I am the only one riding 650cc wheels. Is there anyone out there who is also riding with 650cc wheels?
In Reply To:
I am 5'8" and ride a 2007 Litespeed with 650 wheels that fits pefectly. Many shorter people are ill fit, on 700c tri bikes with f*cked up geometry and major toe overlap; not good situations to be in. My road bike uses 700c, and I've been fit by some of the best folks in the business.
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels do you ride? [Irondawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you, irondawg - it is something to consider. I may need that extra 10 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels do you ride? [IzzyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking more for race wheels than everyday wheels but I would like ones that I don't necessarily have to store away until race time if that makes sense. I'm doing half ironman and ironman distances this year too. The comment about weight made in an earlier post is a concern of mine too because I'm only 115 lbs. I'm going to rent some 404s for Gulf Coast next weekend and see how I like them first before biting the bullet but now I'm concerned that maybe I should go with 303s if they really feel that unstable at a lower weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another suggestion for the lighter riders out there...

You already have a smaller frame than many of us fusky huckers weighing in at almost 2 bills. So, you have to deal with a fair bit less area to push through the air. As such, it may be worth looking into widening your arm position a little bit--it will help you handle the bike with a fair bit more ease in the crosswinds. Clearly, this isn't an option for many (if you already run a fairly wide arm position, if you don't do aerobars, etc). But, for those who can pursue this option, also consider this: separating your elbows will put a little less strain on your back, it can often help digestion/breathing (although many people have these difficulties b/c they aren't stretched out enough from front to back, but it's still an issue for many at HIM/IM distances), in addition to the handling benefits.

Just thought I'd posit another notion into the discussion.

Seriously, don't take me too seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm looking more for race wheels than everyday wheels but I would like ones that I don't necessarily have to store away until race time if that makes sense. I'm doing half ironman and ironman distances this year too. The comment about weight made in an earlier post is a concern of mine too because I'm only 115 lbs. I'm going to rent some 404s for Gulf Coast next weekend and see how I like them first before biting the bullet but now I'm concerned that maybe I should go with 303s if they really feel that unstable at a lower weight.

I'm ~115lbs as well, so a bit concerned with crosswinds and bike handling. Just upgraded to Rolf Vigor wheels which I'm using for both training and racing - love them - light and fast. Less than half the price of 404's and over 200g lighter and faster than 404's according to wind tunnel tests here - http://www.rolfprima.com/...nfo_aero_results.php There are some debate on another thread about these wind tunnel tests, proud Zipp owners don't believe their wheels can be slower than sth less than half the price.

Last edited by: patricia7: May 1, 08 10:59
Quote Reply