Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What the cluck?
Quote | Reply
Chicken. I eat so much chicken!! :) I need to mix things up a bit

Do you have some healthy yummy chicken recipes to share?

Thanks!
jen

Quote | Reply
you can make anything with chicken, even apart from just roasting a whole one - stir fry, curry, fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, nachos, pot pie, shepherd's pie, chili, pasta, stuffed peppers, soup, stew, lasagne, pizza...just off the top of my head! the list goes on and on. how healthy and tasty they become depends entirely on the quality and freshness of the ingredients you use. we typically eat chicken 3 x week (plus turkey at least once a week, which is just as versatile), and i seldom make the same thing in two consecutive weeks.

one of the easiest would be chicken cacciatore - chop some chicken breasts into 1" cubes, and chop up some green peppers and onions. sautee everything in a bit of olive oil until the chicken is cooked and the onion & pepper are softened, then add a jar of your favourite pasta sauce. let it all simmer together for a few minutes and serve over your favourite pasta.

i have leftover chicken sausage & portobello pasta for lunch.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Don't forget using ground chicken too! Chicken meatballs... ground chicken in spaghetti sauce... chickenloaf? Hahah that sounds disgusting :P

_____

Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.
Quote Reply
Re: What the cluck? [JenniferLeah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lately I have been baking whole chickens and it is fairly easy and cheap. I stuff the chicken with lemon and onions, rub it with a little garlic and salt. When it's done I chop off the wings, legs and breasts and do burritos, pizza toppings, stir fry + or the whole list MK just gave you). I pop the chicken carcass with the meat that's hard to get off into the slow cooker with water, and cook on low it for 8-14 hours, depend how lazy I am or how long I sleep. Pop it out, strain the liquid and pick the good meat out, throw out the bones. you should have enough meat to toss back in for some soup, along with some onions, carrots and celery (+ salt) slow cook another 8 hours and add noodles at the end. Meals for the whole week basically.
Quote Reply
Re: What the cluck? [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i should have mentioned that i use ground chicken in much of what i listed, particularly in chili and shepherd's pie. ground turkey works just as well, too.

when i do roast a whole chicken, i do something similar to npda, but i wait until 1 have 2-3 carcasses and make a big pot of stock to use for soup, risotto, or anything else. rice cooked in chicken stock (maybe with a bay leaf thrown in) is simple and tasty!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Maybe not the most nutritionally sound (hello SODIUM), and definitely not a "recipe" idea, but the rotisserie chicken from Costco. SO GOOD. So cheap.

_____

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this but with chicken. Delish.

• 1 tablespoon peanut oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup purchased Asian peanut sauce
  • 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus additional soy sauce for dipping
  • 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint plus 1/3 cup small mint sprigs

• 12 large butter lettuce leaves
print a shopping list for this recipe

Preparation
Heat peanut oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add turkey and sauté until brown and cooked through, breaking up with back of spoon, about 7 minutes. Add peanut sauce, hoisin sauce, and 1 tablespoon soy sauce; heat through. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Reheat in microwave or skillet, adding water by tablespoonfuls to moisten if necessary, before continuing.) Stir in cucumber and chopped mint. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer turkey mixture to medium bowl. Place mint sprigs and lettuce leaves on platter. To make wraps, spoon turkey mixture onto lettuce leaf, add a few mint sprigs, fold in sides over filling, and roll up. Pass additional soy sauce alongside wraps for dipping.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/...106963#ixzz1F1lU1900
Quote Reply
Re: What the cluck? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried this a couple weeks ago and it was SOOOO good. Even hubby loved it and asks for it all the time. I follow the paleo version but I have included some other subs for everyday use.
Hubby and little girl eat this with brown rice. I have it with brocolli or will have the brown rice if it is a post training meal. I also add in some carrots cut on the diag and cook it with the chicken/sauce and it adds nice crunch and color

Paleo Chinese Orange Chicken

Sauce
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup orange juice
1/3 cup cider vinegar
3 tbsp coconut aminos* (or you can use Bragg's or soy sauce)
1 tbsp orange zest
1 tbsp honey
2-3 tsp fresh ginger, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2-4 green onions, sliced
a pinch of red pepper flakes (add more if you like some heat-I have even used a squirt of sirracha)
1.5 tbsp arrowroot powder* (or cornstarch)

coconut oil* or your favorite oil
1-1.5 lbs chicken breast, cut into cubes
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 tbsp arrowroot* (or cornstarch)

Mix together sauce ingredients in a large bowl. Toss chicken with sea salt and arrowroot. Heat coconut oil in large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Add chicken. Stir regularly until cooked throughout. Add sauce and stir frequently. Simmer about 10 minutes, or until it thickens. Serve and enjoy!

Quote | Reply
Dr.TriRunner wrote:
Maybe not the most nutritionally sound (hello SODIUM), and definitely not a "recipe" idea, but the rotisserie chicken from Costco. SO GOOD. So cheap.

And super convenient.

The question to ask is, what would you be eating if it weren't the Costco chicken? If the answer is fast food or other not so nutritious stiff, then it's a good choice.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What the cluck? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trackie clm wrote:
The question to ask is, what would you be eating if it weren't the Costco chicken? If the answer is fast food or other not so nutritious stiff, then it's a good choice.

Wouldn't be fast food... haha but at least with a chicken in my cart I won't be tempted to buy a churro walking out the door! :D

_____

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Stuffed with a blue cheese sauce: blue cheese crumbles, pepper, scoop of light sour cream, squeeze of lemon.
2. Drizzle with pesto sauce and roasted red peppers
3. Cut breast into strips: salt and pepper, wrap in prosciutto, cook in: olive oil, garlic cloves, chicken broth and a squeeze of lemon. Serve over pasta or in a spinach salad.
4. Salt and pepper chicken: cook in: olive oil, a lil bit of white wine, a tablespoon of dijon mustard, tblspn butter, 1/3 cup of apple cider. Remove chicken: cook a handful of sliced almonds and craisins in the chicken "juice" already in pan. Serve everything over wild rice (enhances the nutty flavor)
Quote Reply