Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What motivates you when completely demotivated?
Quote | Reply
Just curious as to what gets you going when you are really demotivated...
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest.
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [dianne_1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been resting for 2 years LOL:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go for the Maui trip! you deserve it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 to the Maui trip. If that doesn't help, it's time to retire ;)

Quote | Reply
Well I am not in any shape to go to Maui, I haven't trained in 2 years. Plus time and money would be an issue. So besides the Maui trip??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think about how I might feel if I decide not to train...if I feel like I would be upset with myself if I don't do the workout, I do the workout. If I feel like I'd be okay with not doing the workout, I take it as my body telling me I need rest. I also think about how much I love my bike and how I'll be sad if I don't go as fast as I would like to in the summer if I don't get my butt in gear now. :) Plus, I am currently in better shape than my hubby so that is something I want to maintain. Finally, I remember that my first Ironman is in 40 weeks and I really want to finish!

Do you have any goals set? Two years is less time than I was off (chronic knee problems for ~ 4 years) and when I decided that I was ready to get back into it I decided that I was just going to go for a big goal right off the bat and sign up for Ironman. I don't know if it's the right thing for me to do but it's sure been huge motivation to get my ass in gear. I think it's easier to find motivation if you have something to work toward. If it's too much to set a long-term goal, try a goal for the day or the week and give yourself small rewards along the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting on my jeans... then having to put on my FAT jeans cuz my skinny ones are too tight.

Either that or a major race-goal.

I fight with this all the time. For me, I have to give myself permission to just go out and have a fun swim/ride/run, that has NOTHING to do with training. I find a few of those sessions helps get me back on track. Since you've had a two year layoff, you may need to seek something bigger, bigger than the sport even. Think: "I want to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro" or "I want to hike the Grand Canyon, rim to rim to rim".

Maybe find a new sport even?

Good luck... and nice to hear from you again!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Andy on the jeans thing. That and the scale. I'm up about 6 pounds from IMC and it's not where I want to be. My fat pants are still a little loose, but my skinny pant are a little snug. I want the skinny pants to fit comfortably.

Thinking of the scale # made me get on the trainer this morning for 45 minutes. I hate the trainer, but guess what? It actually felt OK and I was so glad I did it.

I took about 2 years off as well and hated how I looked and felt. It's tough to get back at it, but I love how it feels to be in shape. The "fat" feeling is still pretty fresh in my mind as well and I don't want to go back to it and that is what motivates me right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Reading a good book about a character (fiction or nonfiction) who does great things (athletic or not)
-A clean, properly working bike
-New running shoes
-A deal with myself, "if you run x miles, you can buy that shirt you like"
-Tracking workouts (when you look back you can't help but be a little proud)
-Coaching/teaching beginners/children

Good luck with your return from training hiatus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that motivation is all about knowing what you want and doing the things that will get you there.

For me, it's all about wanting to win. That's what I think about every single time that I get on the trainer, every interval that I'm trying to finish ...
I rarely lack for motivation ;)

I WAS really pretty bummed after this summer, though. Totally felt like I'd lost that drive. Then I did a race totally for fun. Got my a$$ kicked like you wouldn't believe but WOW! It sure reminded me of the joy that there is to be found in competing and how much I really love to be out there.

Lots of other people are more motivated to be healthy, to be involved in the social scene ... whatever. I think you have to make a plan and pick workouts that support whatever goals you have and then you'll be happy to do them.

One really good piece of advice that I read a long time ago about starting back up after a break is to "start from where you are". Aim to make tomorrow better than today. Trying to compare to where you were a month, a year, whatever ago is endlessly frustrating. By the same token, the massive, quick progress that you can make from being totally out of shape to being an athlete again is just awesome. Our bodies are amazing things!

Hope you find something that makes you happy!!

Miranda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with them on the jeans. And racing and getting my ass kicked. even if it's just a 5K or 10K. When it either hurts and you're barely moving or you realize you just don't have that extra gear.

or finding a hottie to chase around the roads on a bike works well too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • I think about how crappy I'll feel if I don't go for a run. I always get angry with myself if I don't get a workout done and so now I rarely miss one. I'll cut them short but I don't miss them altogether.
  • I'll get myself a new pair of running shoes, new training clothes, something that I look forward to using.
  • I will also put on my running clothes so that I feel like an idiot if I don't get up and go.
  • Goals are a huge part of what keeps me long term motivated. Training to lose weight not as much. Training for a race, very much.
  • I have to see a clear link between what I am doing and how it will get me where I want to go.
  • Having a coach makes a huge difference for me.

As you can see, it isn't one thing that does it every time but the above list is what gets me out the door.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obsessive compulsion.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [Miranda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I

One really good piece of advice that I read a long time ago about starting back up after a break is to "start from where you are". Aim to make tomorrow better than today. Trying to compare to where you were a month, a year, whatever ago is endlessly frustrating. By the same token, the massive, quick progress that you can make from being totally out of shape to being an athlete again is just awesome. Our bodies are amazing things!

Hope you find something that makes you happy!!

Miranda

Thanks for all the responses. I realize that starting where I am at is the key. It is however pretty hard!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just curious as to what gets you going when you are really demotivated...[

a very specific goal with a deadline.

i find that if you leave everything open-ended and vague then you give yourself plenty of room to procrastinate. could be a race date and finish time, or training tests (run x distance in y time by z date). maybe add a reward if you accomplish your goal. and not a food reward...

good luck with this!!]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the "start from where you are" concept is a hard one to wrap your mind around when you've been in great shape in the past. I'm coming off of a badly broken leg and am frustrated because my running was the best it had ever been right before I broke it. Now I'm happy if I can run 15 minutes without it hurting enough to make me stop. So setting goals has helped immensely but I realize I'm not a point where I can go out and set Ironman goals. So it's smaller stuff that I can achieve and be proud of - things like getting up and running with my husband in the morning even if it means I get "dropped" after 15 minutes. Just getting up and out there for 15 minutes is something I should be proud of now.

And since I'm in crappy tri shape right now I'm trying to set some other goals that aren't tri related. Like learning how to do kipping pullups and managing to bang out 10 of them in a row. Or doing 100+ situps a day. Or knitting a hat a week. ;)

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Already been said, but having a goal is key (for me at least), so ENTERING A RACE NOW will help drive you to at least think about getting in shape.

Or a coach, since you are paying them and the guilt of wasting money and not meeting his demands can weigh enough to get you moving.

Good luck.

Sue, currently wallowing fin my post IMAZ completely unmotivated, lets get drunk - eat cookies and cheese like a pig - party til January 1 cause I really (think I) need a break and I can't fathom doing anything else until then!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for all the responses. I realize that starting where I am at is the key. It is however pretty hard!!!!

+1 on thanks for all the responses. Also "starting where I am" is a great help to me too!

After all the studying I did in university my fitness had really gone down hill, and I didn't realize then that "starting where I am" was easier after graduation because I moved to take a job - which meant nobody in my new town knew how "good" I used to be! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing about starting where you are, is in a couple weeks you'll have a breakthrough workout where you amaze yourself at how far you've come. That should motivate you.

I know this last year i wasn't very motivated. Going into a couple races under trained. That will definitely help motivate me this year. Those races sucked, and it's because I skipped a few too many workouts or half assed them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Counting the number of weeks until the next race which isn't that many. It doesn't have to be a triathlon either, sign up for a 5k, 10k- something to be accountable to! :)

Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes, the "start from where you are" concept is a hard one to wrap your mind around when you've been in great shape in the past. I'm coming off of a badly broken leg and am frustrated because my running was the best it had ever been right before I broke it. Now I'm happy if I can run 15 minutes without it hurting enough to make me stop. So it's smaller stuff that I can achieve and be proud of - things like getting up and running with my husband in the morning even if it means I get "dropped" after 15 minutes. Just getting up and out there for 15 minutes is something I should be proud of now.

And since I'm in crappy tri shape right now I'm trying to set some other goals that aren't tri related. Like learning how to do kipping pullups and managing to bang out 10 of them in a row. Or doing 100+ situps a day. Or knitting a hat a week. ;)

Yeah that's a great idea. I went from one opposite of the spectrum to the other. The ones that know me exactly know what i am talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picture me, running faster than you... :p

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you when completely demotivated? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh Khai, I am 100% positive you ARE running faster than me right now:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
oh Khai, I am 100% positive you ARE running faster than me right now:-)

Well that, in itself, should do it. Right? :)

Prev Next