Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What draws you to a tri?
Quote | Reply
Hello Ladies,

I am working with three other women in the NorthEastern Missouri area (Kirksville) to host an all women's sprint triathlon (150m pool swim, 8 mile bike, 2 mile run). The race is designed for all experience levels and particularly targets entry-level participants with a short and doable course, clinics, an available team option, and a relatively inexpensive entry fee (we're aiming to keep it at or below 20 dollars).

My question for the ladies here is as a racer, what would entice you to do a race such as this especially if you'd have to travel from out of town? Remember we're looking for all levels of race experience so any and all input is appreciated.

Further, (here's the shameless plug) if any of you are interested in participating or know of anyone who might be interested, please keep an eye on our website http://trifahl.blogspot.com/...its-time-to-tri.html or contact us at triFAHL@gmail.com.

Thanks for the input!
Quote Reply
Re: What draws you to a tri? [JennB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, first off all, TSA would have to stop sexually molesting people as SOP. That would be #1 on my list. Our family of 6 has cancelled all flights until TSA stops sexually assualting people. I personally look for an intimate field - I don't like huge enormous events - and low costs and something to occupy the kids while I'm participating. I look for non-lake,nonwetsuit swims (shivers with revulsion :)) and all women is a definite draw. :)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jen, if you're looking to draw people from all levels you could offer a prize purse or great prizes/give-a-ways if possible. You might be able to get some TRI companies or local companies to donate some cool stuff. A great post party afterwards always helps :) How you market the TRI is going to be key in bringing in out of towners. Trifind.com lists a bunch of TRIs, you should see if you can get it listed on there.

Good luck with the TRI, I hope it goes well!
Quote Reply
Re: What draws you to a tri? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, sorry to hijack the thread. In a tri I look for the larger events with fun courses (challenging & scenic) that have great staff & great volunteers, good organization & good awards.

But really? Really? Sexually assaulting? Have you ever REALLY been sexually assaulted? I mean as in, being drugged, robbed and raped? As in someone REALLY threatening your safety & stealing your safety and your integrity & your own capacities from you? As in someone drugging you to the point of not knowing your own name while shoving you into a bar bathroom & nearly rip your clothes off while pinning you against the wall & not letting you out while the music is so loud that no one can hear you ask for help? As in someone physically making you have nasty, disgusting sex with them on top of you breathing on you, telling you that you want this to happen while they hold you down?? As in having to run for your life & desperately call anyone that will answer at 5a to come get you - but you don't know why, you just know your body hurts, you smell gross, your clothes are messed up, you're bleeding & you fell like hell?

Would you REALLY consider having someone the same sex as you pat down the outside of your clothing explaining exactly what they're doing & why sexual molestation or assault then?

Hell, these TSA people don't get their jollies off having to pat down people. They're doing what they're doing to keep you, me & the rest of you ingrates from danger. They're doing it to keep us safe! Is it annoying? Maybe. But it's certainly nothing near molestation or assault!

For the record, I HAVE been assaulted, raped, drugged & threatened. I've been in each of those scenarios above - in one night. I've also had the pat-downs done a couple of times - after the "invasive" body scan (another ludicrous objection by the masses) nonetheless. I can say that there will NEVER be a comparison. You want to wait to fly again until they stop ensuring safety...I'll be glad to take your seat(s).

I think you can try to understand where I'm coming from. It's insulting to those of us that HAVE been there. Get a damn clue. Again, sorry for the hijack and the blatant anger on an otherwise positive thread. Starting a new tri is a good thing. Mistaking an evil event for someone taking aggressive steps in safety's name is ludicrous.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: What draws you to a tri? [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
First, sorry to hijack the thread. In a tri I look for the larger events with fun courses (challenging & scenic) that have great staff & great volunteers, good organization & good awards.

But really? Really? Sexually assaulting? Have you ever REALLY been sexually assaulted? I mean as in, being drugged, robbed and raped? As in someone REALLY threatening your safety & stealing your safety and your integrity & your own capacities from you? As in someone drugging you to the point of not knowing your own name while shoving you into a bar bathroom & nearly rip your clothes off while pinning you against the wall & not letting you out while the music is so loud that no one can hear you ask for help? As in someone physically making you have nasty, disgusting sex with them on top of you breathing on you, telling you that you want this to happen while they hold you down?? As in having to run for your life & desperately call anyone that will answer at 5a to come get you - but you don't know why, you just know your body hurts, you smell gross, your clothes are messed up, you're bleeding & you fell like hell?

Would you REALLY consider having someone the same sex as you pat down the outside of your clothing explaining exactly what they're doing & why sexual molestation or assault then?

Hell, these TSA people don't get their jollies off having to pat down people. They're doing what they're doing to keep you, me & the rest of you ingrates from danger. They're doing it to keep us safe! Is it annoying? Maybe. But it's certainly nothing near molestation or assault!

For the record, I HAVE been assaulted, raped, drugged & threatened. I've been in each of those scenarios above - in one night. I've also had the pat-downs done a couple of times - after the "invasive" body scan (another ludicrous objection by the masses) nonetheless. I can say that there will NEVER be a comparison. You want to wait to fly again until they stop ensuring safety...I'll be glad to take your seat(s).

I think you can try to understand where I'm coming from. It's insulting to those of us that HAVE been there. Get a damn clue. Again, sorry for the hijack and the blatant anger on an otherwise positive thread. Starting a new tri is a good thing. Mistaking an evil event for someone taking aggressive steps in safety's name is ludicrous.

I was raped while at a family church retreat when I was 11 years old. Not only was I raped, I was made to interact with that person the entire weekend afterwards. Noone could understand why I was being so difficult to deal with and I was punished by my parents as a result. So while I didn't live your assault, yes I have been there. As a child (1971 in the deep south) and then punished because I wasn't nice to my rapist all weekend after he raped me. Not to get in a pissing contest but where the hell do you get off? I had horrific flashbacks for a month before we traveled and fuck you but I'm not going back there again and fuck you twice but WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU GET OFF JUDGING whether my rape was as horrific as yours? Holy fuck but just FUCK YOU.

And YES but what TSA is doing IS SEXUAL ASSAULT. If any LEO tried what TSA is doing (grabbing and squeezing testicles, fondling breasts, groping labia, pulling people's pants and underwear out to the degree that they see pubic hair, stroking penises multiple times) would be punishable with arrest and civil fines.

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Jan 7, 11 12:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa. Breathe. I wasn't comparing or pissing anything. I'm simply saying that the pat-downs aren't sexual molestation or assault & to categorize them as such is insulting to me having been through what I will call a "real" rape & assault.

Not discounting yours - that's horrific. Any rape/assault/molestation is. None better/worse/less offensive than any other. Trust me - we are all survivors of a cruel & evil occurance. However, I think the TSA & the bastards that do these types of things are on ENTIRELY different levels.

So let's breathe again & let's all "unfuck" the whole situation. No animosity outside of a mis-characterization of an organization that is annoying as hell but trying to protect our safety.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously? TSA sexual assault? I sympathize with your past but I'm guessing you don't get on a plane much? I travel frequently for work and have been flying regularly since the whole TSA hyteria started, including international travel. Not once have I been subjected to a pat down or the body scanners. My husband travels a ridiculous amount for work (he is Diamond, which is the highly frequent flier level on Delta) and he has also never been subjected to a pat down or made to go through a body scanner. If you don't set something off in the main scanners you walk right on through as usual. If you set off the scanner then you are subjected to additional screening. Yes, it's been all over the media but I think the number of people actually having a pat down or having to go through a scanner is very small. For the majority of people it is not that hard to get through security without setting off the scanner. I have a metal rod and six screws to fix a broken bone and not even that has set off a scanner at any airport in the 6 years I've had it in me. Again, I sympathize with your past but you really need to calm down about air travel and not get so caught up in the media hysteria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally participate in Triatholons that are relatively close to my home (within a 3 hour drive) so I would target that geographic area. Also most sporting goods stores and gyms will let you advertise and I will sometimes participate if I see a flyer posted in those places. Word of mouth by friends having had a good experience is probably the best advertising. Good luck with your preparations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep the feedback coming, ladies. Your comments and suggestions are already being put to good use.

To Aware and kathy-caribe... I am terribly sorry to hear about your experiences. No one should ever have to experience such an event. Ironically, I hope it offers some consolation (minor it maybe) to know any and all profits we collect from our tri are being donated to the local Victim Support Services.

As for the TSA material... I believe we all having our opinions on the issue, though I would like to ask that further comments regarding the issue be saved for a posting outside this one. Please understand, and thank you.

Thank you, ladies!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear AWARE and kathy_c., I am sorry for what both of you had gone through... but commend both of you on having surviving past them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>As for the TSA material... I believe we all having our opinions on the issue, though I would like to ask that further comments regarding the issue be saved for a posting outside this one. Please understand, and thank you. <<

Yes, any further comments on that subject will be removed. That is Lav. Room discussion.

To the original question:

I know that when I coached beginning women triathletes, they liked the group training and the all women's races. It was comforting knowing that they might be last, but it wouldn't be them only with a bunch of fast or intimidating men.

Post-race food and drink in order to be able to socialize is big too.

For new or inexperienced swimmers, knowing that there is very good in-water support is important.

Personally, I would do tris where I got to travel or I knew that lots of my friends would be there. If there are a number of tri clubs in the area, perhaps have some sort of tri club competition or bike racks set aside for each club with pre-entry?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 pesos on your business proposition. Here, I presume you want to attract 100-300 ladies to enter. To do that, you will need to have 1000 to 3000 "consider" your race.

At your distances (short), your target audience is likely to be newbies, The experienced tri gals will look for a longer race to justify the collateral time investment that always accompanies a tri. I also point out that most tri folks have a few annual favorite races and those races get the first crack at the $ each year.

My observation is that I doubt a lot of summer racers will step out of their spring training, spend 1-3 hours on the pre-post race logistics plus whatever travel time, all for a work out that lasts 40-75 minutes. The (only) 150 meters in/out of a swimming pool (building) is more hassle than exercise. My UNLESS is if you have an additional main attraction SUCH AS great location, time of year, post race food or party, post race speaker on women's issues, celebrity sightings, mud, great music, give aways, all girl race, best race colunteers on the planet, charity cause, whatever. Something that makes it a short work out PLUS an attraction for the regular Tri folk

I do Olys and Sprints and each of the 20 I have done have had 5% elites, 80% regular AGers and 15% newbies. So, I think you need the AGers to make the economics work on whatever scale.

Good luck and congratulations on taking this initiative to enhance the sport and people's lives.

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JennB,

I am thrilled that you are trying to add another triathlon to the Missouri calendar. However, seeing as how you are in Kirksville, you will undoubtedly have a challenge ahead of you.

I've competed at NEMO about 3 times but that was only when I was living in Columbia. Having moved back home to St. Louis, I can definitively say that NEMO is now pretty much off my radar for the following reasons...

1.) Distance - It is hard to justify the drive time to Kirksville from St. Louis (or KC for that matter). I would expect most would agree. And there would need to be something amazing provided to draw anyone from out of state seeing as how the nearest major airports are over 3 hours away.

2.) Entertainment - As others have said, there needs to be other things in town to make it worthwhile as a destination event. And absolutely no offense to the city of Kirksville, but there just isn't that much going on as the city is small.

3.) Race Distance - Again, I have to agree with others who posted that the distance is just too short for anyone that is serious about racing. As a competitive racer myself, I can say that unless a race of that distance is within 30 minutes of my front door, there is no way I could justify the trip. So I would imagine that you are looking at attracting mostly newbies. Now that's not all bad, if you advertised at the local schools (Truman, KCOM/ATSU, Mizzou, even high schools) you might attact some of the crowds that race at TriZou (Race for Sight) which is similar in distance. If you want to atract more experienced, competetive racers, you would likely need an Olympic distance race. For that I might even consider the drive. However, that would likely require moving to the lake.

I would have to say that as a first year event, focusing on quality will be key to keeping a race viable. Make sure that everything is top notch from registration, packet pick-up, transition area, volunteers, awards, etc. Starting off small is usually not a bad thing so that you can focus on making everything a great experience for the athlete. In time, a great event will spread via word of mouth.

If you want to bounce any ideas any ideas off me, let me know. I've worked with Ultramax for a while in the past, so I have a good idea what it takes to put on a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
Whoa. Breathe. I wasn't comparing or pissing anything. I'm simply saying that the pat-downs aren't sexual molestation or assault & to categorize them as such is insulting to me having been through what I will call a "real" rape & assault.

Not discounting yours - that's horrific. Any rape/assault/molestation is. None better/worse/less offensive than any other. Trust me - we are all survivors of a cruel & evil occurance. However, I think the TSA & the bastards that do these types of things are on ENTIRELY different levels.

So let's breathe again & let's all "unfuck" the whole situation. No animosity outside of a mis-characterization of an organization that is annoying as hell but trying to protect our safety.

Hey, I just wanted to get back to you and (with the mods leniency) apologize for going off on you. I guess the experience was not as benign as I thought. At any rate I am really sorry I went off on you like that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What draws me to a tri?

-cheap to reasonable entry fee (~100-150 for olympic, ~50-75 for sprint)
-word of mouth
-friends also racing
-city- reasonble price to stay/eat there?
Quote Reply