Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What does your wardrobe say about you?
Quote | Reply
I think I have been a little too influenced by the Title 9 catalogs that come to the house every few weeks, I looked in my wardrobe closet and saw:
  • 1 pair of dress slacks, 4 pair of casual pants, and 6 pairs of tights of various weights for training in every type of weather
  • 1 blazer, 2 jackets for running, 3 jackets for biking, 2 jackets for winter, and various fleece and rain combos for hiking and X country skiing
  • 2 regular bras, 6 sports bras, and one push up bra I haven't worn since my honeymoon
  • I do have some skirts that I have worn to work, but I don't wear them to parties or out on dates with my husband for some reason
I think I need to shop at a store that doesn't offer a selection of breathable fabrics. Anyone else lacking in the wardrobe department?
Quote Reply
Re: What does your wardrobe say about you? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wardrobe says "get off your ass and start training!" It also says "hmmm, you like black, Banana Republic and Ann Taylor Loft."

I'm down to one pair of pants that fits, the skirts are a little more forgiving thank god. Hopefully in a month or so my wardrobe will say, "give us a belt to hold these pants up!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mine is screaming for an intervention from Stacy & Clinton. :-\
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That I have 3 classification of outfits:
1. clothes I bought when I shopped for a hobby - before getting into tris and working out regularly
2. clothes that I workout in
3. LULULEMON...clothes that I like to live in :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine says:

Wadsworth Grizzlies

but I graduated 10 yrs ago. lol.

jk... it's not that bad, but i do have a lot of clothes that i bought in HS or college.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a fashion cripple. I don't see the point in spending alot of $$$ on clothes that don't wick, isn't windproof, or fleecy. While I agree that it's good to have "the classics": little black dress, well-fitting dress pants, classic white blouse blahblahblah--those items can be found with well-timed visits to the sales rack.
Some "sporty" clothes from Kuhl and Watergirl/Patagonia can cross over to looking almost dressed up, but I don't think they fly so well in restaurants with chilled forks and sommeliers.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your wardrobe say about you? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wardrobe agrees with QRGirl's. Workout stuff drawers are over flowing. Ann Taylor for the office. Jammies for at home. Pretty soon it will say I spend a lot of money on team kits.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: What does your wardrobe say about you? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Banana Republic/Gap because in their niche of retailing, they seem to be the best at making some styles of pants that fit someone who has biker girl thighs.

Everyone else, it seems like if they fit in the legs, it's two sizes too big at the waist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeans and sweaters for work. Yes, I can wear jeans to work! I have a couple of pairs of pants that aren't jeans. And it's cold enough all year to wear sweaters all year.

Lots of dresses, especially casual ones. Lots of skirts. I never wear hose and 99.9% of the time wear shoes without backs (sandals, slides, etc.)

Workout gear--tons of DeSoto gear. Like pretty much every piece ever made. ;-)

I also have 6-7 bags of clothes that no longer fit and need to move some of the current wardrobe into the "too big" pile. WOO!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What does your wardrobe say about you? [peaches] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you on that! Stacey & Clinton would throw their hands up in horror at my fashion-laziness. With training, work, school, husband, etc. I just really don't put any effort into my clothing. At all. Like others here, I have a very well-rounded workout clothes wardrobe, like drawers and drawers full. Some very nice dressy clothes from my NYC days that live in my closet collecting dust. The jeans/fleeces I wear to work every day. The fleeces/sweatpants that I wear when not at work. It's really pathetic.

I really love this new forum!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny that you bring this up. I too, have the BR and AT Loft wardrobe for work, but outside of 8-5, I'm a sporty girl.
In fact, we were getting ready to go to dinner Saturday night and my husband said to me, "No offense, but do you have a shirt you can wear that DOESN'T have a swoosh on it?"
Quote Reply
Re: What does your wardrobe say about you? [td] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell your husband to be thankful he has a wife that looks good in the "swoosh" stuff!!!

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That I have no taste in clothing and my boyfriend has to stop me at least 3 times a week from leaving the house to change my outfit ;-)

I remember when I was a kid they used to have some clothing line called "garanimals" (or something like it) where the tags on the shirt was some kind of animal and you would match it up to pants with the same tag. God, I need that kind of help again..... ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That either I am sharing closets with nine other people, or I have a severe case of multiple personality disorder (with all of the personalities being fashioned challenged).

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahaha, same here.

I have -
Two dresses. One is a summer halter dress, the other's black and strapless
Two pairs of jeans.
One short red skirt.
One really plain long, blue skirt.
A whole bunch of t shirts, some from races
A couple wicking shirts
One pair of running tights, that I use as "dress tights" on occassion.
Three shirts from Banana Republic. These are probably the only clothing items I own that are not a sports company.

Seven pairs of running shorts, seven sportsbras, seven pairs of socks.
Four swimsuits (one racing suit, one two piece, two one-piece suits that are at "drag suit" status)
Two pairs of goggles
Two caps (accessories!!!)

If I need dress clothes, I borrow them from my roommate. I like college, you can show up to class in pretty much anything...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Feb 7, 08 12:59
Quote Reply
Re: What does your wardrobe say about you? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is screaming "STOP BUYING PURSES AND SHOES!!" I live in AZ, so I have a lot of sundresses.
I'm a doc so my work wardrobe has to be somewhat professional, but I'm probably the most casually dressed one around, no white coat, occasional jean trousers, and an incredibly comfy pair of Dickies scrubs that I wear on Fridays.
I went crazy when runningskirts.com had a 50% off sale, so I have a bunch of them. Lots of assorted tri gear. Living close to Trisports is very dangerous!!!

I'm getting a new bike the end of this month (a Guru!!!), so I've been reeling in the online shopping for a while.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It says I need casual clothes BADLY. My wardrobe consists mostly of:

1. Suits
2. Dresses and "going out" attire
3. Training / technical clothes

What I need are relaxed / weekend clothes. I mean, it's so bad that I don't even own a pair of jeans (anymore).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wardrobe is saying "I need some weeding!" For years, I've been the recipient of hand-me-down clothes from my sister, whose job requires her to be extremely fashionable at all times, and a family friend, whose hobby was clothes shopping until she found a husband.

I have tons of clothes, ranging from size 10 to XXL (the huge ones are my maternity clothes). Some of them date back to the early 1990s. I need to get rid of at least half of them so I'll be able to put the clothes that fit into my closet, where I can find them in the morning.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have 15 sports bras, 2 regular ones and one strapless. wow.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: What does your wardrobe say about you? [Wingnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem. I can't match anything so I hired a personal shopper. It doesn't cost anything!! You tell them your sizes, hair color etc. I told them I wear jeans mostly b/c I wear a uniform to work. I told her I wanted all wash and wear casual stuff. I went in and tried on a lot of clothes that I wouldn't even look at on the rack. Also when I put something on she gave me suggestions of what else the item could go with and what shoes to wear with it. I bought a few pairs of pants, one skirt and some shirts that I can mix and match. Oh and also when something was too expensive I asked her to find me something cheaper that would work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wardrobe says "you are a hardworking, sexy professional ... well, not THAT kind of professional <g> though I am paid by the hour .... ahem"

1. lots of suits and 3 inch heels for work .... I'm 5'11", however, the extra inches let me tower over others and force them to look up to me - definitely part of the court room game.
2. jeans, chords and comfy, but fitted low cut shirts and sweaters. I spent a few years 100lbs overweight - the non-fitting days are over, if it doesn't accentuate the positive, it gets ditched.
3. tonnes of ski wear - fun cammo stuff in a variety of colours is my fav right now.
4. waaaaayy too many bike tops, etc. .... is two full drawers of workout wear too much ;-)

Glad to know from reading this thread I'm not alone !

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Re: What does your wardrobe say about you? [Bing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like I need a personal shopper and a tour of your hardworking sexy professional closet. I have spent the past 4 years amassing a glorious collection of workout clothes and very little else.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your wardrobe say about you? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa, whoa, WHOA! You can wear jeans to work!?!?

I'm in J Crew and Brooks Brothers suits (and their no-iron blouses are fabulous! And with French cuffs, even better!). Heels that I'm sure are sculpting my feet into something hideous, but are glorious. Angels sing over some of my shoes! A long black wool overcoat. (I'm a sucker for coats and am currently stalking the trench coat I've been dreaming about since I was 15.)

I second the personal shopper. I enlisted the help of a fashion consultant when I needed a formal gown for a wedding. She had me try on styles and colors I would never have attempted by myself, and I found the perfect dress. A deep slate blue that looks like something Liz Taylor would have worn in Cleopatra. I now seek out formal events just so I can wear "The Dress."

My wardrobe problem is that level between business/dressy and casual. Smart Casual, I heard it called once. I tend to find one or two outfits and promptly wear them to death. I feel this is a major personal failing, and I am working diligently to correct it. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QRgirl to the rescue! Let's plan a shopping date!

Now is a great time to shop, all of the winter stuff is on clearance with major markdowns.

Not that I'm participating as I have given of clothes, shoes, accessories for 2008! Yes, ladies it can be done. i took a shopping hiatus in 2005 and it was much easier than I thought it would be.

My one concession will be sports bras. I need some new ones as what I currently own are all funked out.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your wardrobe say about you? [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Whoa, whoa, WHOA! You can wear jeans to work!?!? <<

I'm closer to Silicon Valley. ;-)
I'm always seriously stressed to come to the DC office where they are all dressed way up!

Yes, jeans today and sweater. Jeans yesterday and sweater. Probably jeans tomorrow. Monday and Tuesday I had on Old Navy brushed twill pants. I'll be happy when it warms up and I can wear sundresses or denim skirts.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next