Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do women want?
Quote | Reply
(I was double dog dared to post this here)

The flippant answer is "what another woman has." But maybe it isn't so flippant (emphasis added):

Quote:

The nature of the human mating system matters. Although we have a presumptively monogamous mating system, it’s not “effectively” monogamous. Rarely do modern humans mate with one and only one person for their entire lifespan. Premarital mateships, mate switching, and divorce are all common, as are affairs. Nor was total monogamy characteristic of most human cultures across the globe. The cross-cultural record reveals that 83% of cultures practiced some form of polygyny (one male with two or more wives). In these cultures, single women are often attracted to mated men, and it’s often not considered mate poaching. Single women in these cultures typically find mated men with high status, resources, and a wife or two more attractive than single men who lack the status or desirability to attract a mate. Women’s sexual psychology evolved in the context of a mating system with some polygyny. Modern women have inherited the sexual psychology of their successful ancestral mothers. They carry with them an attraction for men who have demonstrated an ability to attract other women.

http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/...expert-or-brangelina

I find that 83% figure to be striking, and something for those who espouse the "one man one woman" view of marriage" to contemplate.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: What do women want? [Med Tent Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These studies are way behind Chris Rock... he has some great standup on this very issue :) That ring around your finger is like a magnet

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Women have always viewed men in the "provider" role whether they realize it or not. Nothing has changed with much except the modern world has banned polygamy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help but wonder if part of it had/has to do with women wanting to feel powerful or desirable or even "better" that the mated WOMAN by trying to get an already-taken man to desire them (the other woman) more.

To Med Tent Man's point about how we behave being up to us, ain't that the truth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a study published recently on this, can't remember where I saw it. Women like taken men. As a woman I don't see the attraction, I've never been a man poacher. Maybe it's like a pre-approval in some way, or some deeply engrained evolutionary thing where there is competition for the best genes/sperm??? Will have been happily married to my best friend 11 years in October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's all totally true! i'm hopelessly in love with a married man!

the fact that he's MY husband doesn't change a thing, does it? ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I haven't looked at another man with a wandering eye since I met my husband. Why would I? I know what's out there and he's the one I want. Frankly, I look at most men like a big set of problems that have to be navigated and I'm not interested. You would have to be George Clooney to get my attention and I would guess even George is a nightmare to deal with after a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: What do women want? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I haven't looked at another man with a wandering eye since I met my husband. Why would I?

Why would you, indeed? There's no benefit and much to lose for a woman to have multiple partners, so long as one partner fulfills all needs (protection, provision of necessities, parenting, etc.). What would a second partner bring to the table? Only uncertain paternity with all the issues that might bring. What you are finding might be a good hint to those "committed" women who find their eyes wandering: what is it that your partner really isn't bringing to the table?

From an evolutionary psychology perspective, of course.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You would have to be George Clooney to get my attention and I would guess even George is a nightmare to deal with after a few weeks.
You ever hear that expression "behind every beautiful woman is a man saying 'I'm so sick of her s***'"?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a woman who is drop dead gorgeous, men literally stop what they are doing and stare when she walks in the room. She has chemistry and sexuality that is almost tangible it is so strong. Even her female friends hit on her which sounds cute but if you think about it from her life experiences, it's disturbing. One woman was so infatuated with her, she frequently cleaned out her closet and would organize her clothes for her. Freaky!

Anyway, she is one of the most difficult and demanding people I have ever known and she is jealous of any virtue or privilege other women have. She's married but wanders frequently and I can barely stand to watch her in action. I think of her anytime I see a hot guy and suddenly he isn't hot anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find most hot guys aren't so hot when they open their mouths. A few of the exceptions:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: What do women want? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one more for that list:

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Darn! Why didn't Josef have those two as crew when he UMH when I was there??? NICE!

MistressK--Your hubby looks like a very fun guy.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What do women want? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one in the middle has blue eyes. He is drop dead, stop in your tracks gorgeous. I'm not sure I've seen any man like that in my life. Even my hubby said he's good looking. Models for Speedo apparently. I keep looking for the ad.... He didn't speak any english but frankly, I didn't care. the other one was a riot. Spoke enough english to chit chat but not much more than that. And, Josef is a goofball, as you know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: What do women want? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i look like the one in the middle!!! except for curly hair, i have wavy. I must be hot!!..hehe
Quote Reply