Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What do Women Need?
Quote | Reply
My wife is a fairly accomplished cyclist and triathlete, but she is NOT a runner.

However, she's attempting to change, and is training for her first marathon. Previously, her longest was a 10k. (and then only because it was between her and the finish line of an Oly)

I, meanwhile, am attempting to be supportive. I've gotten her everything I can think of that she needs, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I thought maybe the ladies could help me out.

Garmin running watch - check
2 new pairs running shoes - check
Warm, cool, and cold weather running gear - check
Fuel belt - check
Bubbly foot bath thingy - check
Massage - check
Pedicure - scheduled for this week
Training partners - check, friends of hers and the dog
Training schedule - one she selected
Multi vitamin - she's skeptical but considering it

Anything she's missing?
Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [RebeccaCreekKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Space to do her thing. That's it. Let her drive her own training, don't push her unless she asks for it and play sherpa on her long runs if she needs it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on the space-if she is an accomplished cyclist and triathlete, she will ask for help if she needs it.

My only suggestion is: do a few extra chores on the weekend, so that she can get extra sleep and rest a little more than usual on big training days! That is far and away more important than high tech training gear! Good luck to her, i hope she likes running training and racing. (Sounds like she has a very supportive husband, too.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She is more than prepared. Have some ice cold muscle milk and a mexican coke ready for her when she gets home from the long run. My husband has these ready for me after my long runs and they give me something to look forward to especially the mexican coke. I never drink any sort of soda but man, it is de-lish.

Oh, I don't know if she likes the motivational stuff but there's a book called "First Marathons". There are some pretty good stories. Also, when she trains for her first Ironman, there's a book called "Becoming an Ironman" that you can get her to complete the pair. I'm not usually cheerleader-y like that but these books are proudly displayed with my medals and race numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A cute training partner? Just kidding. Sounds like she has it all and that you are a thoughtful partner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She may want to think twice about the pedicure. Last time I had one they scraped off all my hard earned calluses. I had to work hard to get them back and it was a long and painful process.

"A merry heart doeth good like medicine." (Proverbs 17:22)
Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [miTmite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I disagree about the pedicure. I get one every few weeks and once I started doing that, the little blisters I got around my toes from running went away. I was advised to start getting them from an ultra runner.

Just tell them to not shave down the callouses very much.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
now she just needs to run :)

Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [iggythecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's up to 13 for her long run, and the weekday runs are getting faster and incorporating hills.

So far so good.

Thanks all for your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished my 3rd marathon 3 weeks ago.

Have you ever read "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall? I consider it life-changing. It's about running, but about so much more. I just LOVE it.

I had a hard workout this AM. Was at work when my boyfriend stopped by with a latte from my favorite coffee place in Boulder. Go him--! I am a coffee fiend.

Sometimes those extra little things make a WORLD of difference. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not see how Garmin running watch & Fuel belt for example will make her a runner.

If she wants to become a runner then she simply needs to run more.

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wife: "I think I want to train for a marathon, I'm really nervous but I know I can do it"
Husband: "go run a bunch."

ah, support at its finest.

good idea Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [mellorite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes supporting in running a bunch.
All the crap with gizmo, massages, etc. is useless.
the support comes from allowing her to run a bunch.

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say the gizmos, massages, pedicures, cute running outfits, etc are useless ... they can make it fun. Are they an absolute requirement, well no, but they can make the training more enjoyable so I say they are definitely worth it!
Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [Tri1016] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, not to hijack the thread or sound uncultured, but what is a mexican coke? It sounds good!

Re: What do Women Need? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry, not to hijack the thread or sound uncultured, but what is a mexican coke? It sounds good!

Coca Cola bottled in Mexico, which is then imported into the US or elsewhere. I recall hearing that the sweetener is different and comes from natural sugar cane. People who like their Coke say that the difference is huge. You can find it in bottles at a lot of small Mexican restaurants around here and probably at grocery stores that cater to Mexican immigrants.

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [famelec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best thing about mexican coke is that it has no high fructose corn syrup- you can definitely taste the difference!
Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [famelec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never had Mexican Coke, but Canadian Coke is WAY better than the American stuff. We use sugar rather than HFCS and it makes a huge difference in the taste.

Quote | Reply
a nice....
Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Never had Mexican Coke, but Canadian Coke is WAY better than the American stuff. We use sugar rather than HFCS and it makes a huge difference in the taste."

One of my clients is McCain Foods, a Canadian-based company and the largest producer of french fries in the world. The french fries they ship to the US are cooked in vegetable oil and the french fries they ship to other parts of the world are cooked in animal fat and taste much better. I was at one of their plants in New Brunswick and tasted the difference as they came off the production line.
Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then Mexican Coke and Canadian Coke are the same thing. The thing that makes Mexican coke (or at least the Mexican coke we buy at the Mexican grocery stores in Chicago) so much better than American coke is its use of sugar instead of HFCS.

I did hear that Pepsi was going to release (or maybe already as but since I am not much of a pop drinker I haven't seem it) a Pepsi Organic that is made with sugar instead of HFCS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of sleep, 7-8 hours or more if she can. You're a great partner!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure what women need; however, one thing they definitely don't need is their own forum. This place is a ghost town complete with tumbleweeds. I have seen more action in a Golden Girls rerun...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"My wife is a fairly accomplished cyclist and triathlete, but she is NOT a runner".
That doesn't make any sense, dude, how can she be an accomplished triathlete if she can't run!? I agree that the 'mexican' coke is the best suggestion so far...
Quote Reply
Re: What do Women Need? [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am not sure what women need
Nice.
Quote Reply

Prev Next