Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What are the odds? / not all the eggs in 1 basket
Quote | Reply
So what are the odds of a third Ironman in the rain? Seriously, I wonder if I'm "cursed". First ironman, Ironman Wisconsin 2006 - 50s and rain. Second ironman, Ironman Lake Placid 2008 - upper 60s and rain. My friends are all saying they will never do an ironman with me because it will pour down rain.
Both times it pretty much rained all day. WI was 17 hours of rain, LP was 14 hours of rain.

If the oddsmakers in Vegas have odds on this, I'd definitely make a bet.

Secondary question / thoughts - how do you keep an Ironman from being "all your eggs in one basket"? I feel a big big letdown after Lake Placid this year because race day did not go as I would have liked. It's like you plan all your stuff around this one event, and then it just craps on you.

(happy note - my new cyclocross frame got ordered yesterday, yipee!)
Quote Reply
Re: What are the odds? / not all the eggs in 1 basket [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answer to question #1 - race where there is little to no rain. I'm headed to IMAZ in November.

Answer to question #2 - race more often. Participate in 1/2 IM's so that your training is more of a circuit than a single destination. After IMAZ comes the chilly-to-to cold water of IMCA in March, etc.

Always another chance on my radar to do better next time and I know where and when it will be.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: What are the odds? / not all the eggs in 1 basket [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first thing that crossed my mind in reading your post was that if you went from 17 hrs in IM1 to 14 hrs in IM2 then that's one heck of a time drop!

Second thing was that if I had been at IMWI in 2006 I would have dropped out at those temps. Nice job sticking it out!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first thought was I'm gald you are not coming to IMAZ ha!! Wow 3 hours off see how tough that one race made you. You should feel proud that you stuck it out in IMLP and had a 3 hour pr to boot!!

I know what you mean by all eggs in one basket. I try to get in more racing , but it's so much to ask from my family. It's funny I seem to be able to get the training in around my families schedule.

Enjoy your new cross bike!!
Quote Reply
Re: What are the odds? / not all the eggs in 1 basket [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm laughing. 17 hours at IMWI 06 was how long it rained. It started raining just before 7am and didn't quit until after midnight. At IM Lake Placid 08 we had 14 hours of rain. It started raining right around race start time and ended around 9pm.

I improved by 40 minutes as far as my race time is concerned - with a much worse marathon the 2nd time around where I walked the second half of it instead of just the last 9 miles.

So the 17 hours and 14 hours are the rain's time, not mine! LOL!
My other problem is that I struggle in the heat.
So trying to find a balance between somewhere dry and somewhere it's not going to be 90 degrees.

Otherwise, thanks for the input on doing more races. It would be easier to do that if I had unlimited funds. ;)
But I think you all are right about that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*ahem* so um.... what race are you planning on doing in 2009? :)
Quote Reply
Re: What are the odds? / not all the eggs in 1 basket [swimlinz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am contemplating Louisville. Would love to do Canada but that would be some bucks.
Seriously thinking about just doing 3-4 half IMs and putting the full aside for a few years.
Don't worry, for my half IMs it's usually unusually HOT.
(laughing at the phrase I just made)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah ..., um ..., I did IMoo 2006 and IMLP 2008 (my third and fourth IMs), and ..., uh ..., Timberman in 2006.

Uh, maybe you shouldn't do the same races as ..., ah ..., "certain" individuals.

For the record, I am signed up for LP next year. In case that helps.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: What are the odds? / not all the eggs in 1 basket [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thtat's it. Next year IMLP is on my birthday, and I figured I didn't want to do an IM on my birthday. Some folks may think the opposite....
Never did timberman...
I'm not signed up for LP next year, maybe it's the two of us!!!! ha ha ha ha ha
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you struggle in the heat, Louiseville may not be a good race for you, unless maybe your rain/cool temps curse is for real. Last year the heat was just brutal even on the bike and there is very little shade on the run.

Nor do I use punctuation in the way a child sprinkles glitter over a ribbon of glue on construction paper - Trash Talk
Quote Reply
Re: What are the odds? / not all the eggs in 1 basket [lesson989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do struggle in the heat. At this point I'm just thinking I'll skip doing ironman for a while. Going to go to Louisville this year to cheer on some friends though. That should be fun. Be nice to see how it is on the spectator side of things.
Quote Reply