Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What Really Happens in an IM Swim?
Quote | Reply
G'morning~~~~

I am asking this, b/c I have done an independent Iron race in the past. The swim was very open. My next big race is a branded Ironman and I know I am looking at a whole different ball game with the crowding.

In particular, I am amazed that the quick times I see posted in Ironman swims. I belong to a large pool and I observe/swim with many many IM participants. I see them struggle in the pool, yet then I see some pretty quick times in the actual IM. What is that all about? Are they really dropping the hammer on race day, or is there a draft effect if you hold your own in the thick of the action?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: What Really Happens in an IM Swim? [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say wetsuits will make you faster at a IM distance swim.
Yes you can draft it does help.
Course layout is important, example IM LP 2 lap long rectangle room to
get into a good pace after the first 1/4 and swimmers get spread out.
Quote Reply
Re: What Really Happens in an IM Swim? [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And IMLouisville swim was a time trial start last year, which I liked....don't know if they plan on that this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fast swim splits at the mass start branded IM races are mainly due to the wetsuits and the huge draft packs of swimmers that never break up, even over 2.4 miles. That's my opinion. Just look at the swim splits for any of the branded IMs. I routinely see mediocre swimmers from my pool turning in unbelievable swim splits at branded IMs, typically at a pace 15-30 seconds or more faster per 100 yards than their usual pool race pace. When they get back from their IM, they are effusive about how great the pack was and how it dragged them along for the entire swim. This is inevitable when you have 1500-2000+ in a mass start.

Besides, if you get stuck in a pack that big, the terror alone will force you to swim their speed so they don't club you or kick you into unconsciousness.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only speak for the IMLP swim. It was quite crowded for the first loop. I stayed within 3 feet above the cable that holds all the buoys together so I never really lifted my head to sight until I had to turn the corners at the end. I was kicked in the face, trunk, and belly (which jumped started much needed peeing for me!)---no surprises. It seemed like the folks who were swum over were those who really lifted their heads out of the water to look and dropped their butts and legs.
It was definitely the fastest triathlon swim pace I'd ever done. IMO, it was due to:
1. not having to sight
2. drafting--it was impossible to avoid given where I wanted to swim (over the cable). Even the 2nd loop was cozy.
3. Wetsuits
4. The adrenaline of "Holy cow, I'm doing an Ironman!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found in 5 IM swims, that, if you are willing to put up with being knocked around quite a bit, and start in the thick of things, you do get pulled along quite nicely. I've experimented with different starting positions each time and have had MUCH faster swims when swimming in the main pack than when I line up on the side or more towards the back. This is coming from an at-best-mediocre swimmer.
The other thing I've noticed is that it is the big, nervous, middle-aged guys who tend to beat me up the most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a good starting spot with people who look confident around you. Start strong and then settle into a good pace. Learn to draft/catch moving water, it is a skill too.

Beware of the seals (heads popping up) and thumpers (big kickers - you can hear them), a smooth swimmer with a big pull is who you want to be behind. A protective stroke where you bring your forearm down to protect your face when someone cuts across your path is nice for dealing with traffic. You are going to get bumped, but we are all trying to go in the same direction, hopefully. Imagery of salmon swimming up stream and just flowing with the pace always worked to keep me calm.

***When you get a good draft don't let anyone take it away and don't lose it by letting your mind wander. Have fun!

it turns out that our OP is only "mostly" dead........ ElGordo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great information here!
I am doing IMLP this summer and all my male friends who did the race last year talk about is how rough the swim is BLAH BLAH BLAH and "you're going to have a hard time with it" BLAH BLAH BLAH. I'm so sick of the doom and gloom. It's refreshing to read the comments here by women who have done an IM swim and survived! Keep the advice/stories/observations coming!
Quote Reply
Re: What Really Happens in an IM Swim? [LuvCheesecake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. i especially had a chuckle over the 'adrenaline" comment.

I have done dozens of tri's but I can't say I've ever done one with such a tight swim. Yes, I will certainly need to prepare myself for this.

I have been in some tight pockets of swimmers in the past. When this has happened, I have felt like I was not able to enjoy the rhythm of the swim, it was more like "grunt & struggle" but as I recall I think I did clock a faster time than I'd expected.
Quote Reply
Re: What Really Happens in an IM Swim? [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken spoke, that is exactly what I mean.

The reason I am asking it here on this forum, is I can't really think of a tactful way of approaching a swimmer and asking them how the heck did they swim so fast in the race when they swim so much less fast in the pool. ;-)

That was what got me wondering about the draft effect.
Quote Reply
Re: What Really Happens in an IM Swim? [LuvCheesecake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will be fine. If you don't want to get kicked/hit in the face, swim out further to the right of the cable where most of the people want to be. You won't get the same drafting effect, but it worked for me. I'd rather not have to worry about being kicked in the face. I'm not a great swimmer, and found the swim to be fine. Don't let those people psyche you out. Remember, it is a warm up for the rest of a very long day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which IM are you doing? Keep in mind that you can swim on the INSIDE of the buoys (on the straights), so long as you go on the OUTSIDE of the buoys on the four corners (of a rectangular swim course). At IMMoo (2 very long rectangular loops), it is wide open on the inside of the buoys. It gets ugly going around the outside of the four corner buoys, but, it is manageable. Now, the flip side is that you do not get the draft if you are not in the pack.

The key is to remain calm. If you remain calm and realize what is happening being in the pack, next thing you know, you will be saying "holy cow, I'm getting a nice little pull here!" It can be pretty rough, but, there is usually plenty of room to get out of the madness. It isn't that bad.

IM splits tend to be fast (IMO) b/c of (1) wetsuits and (2) draft of the pack.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: What Really Happens in an IM Swim? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thread. I did IM Moo in 06 and got pummeled. I had my worst swim in any tri ever (by worst I mean slowest per 100m pace, not to mention the pummeling). I am enjoying hearing some of these tips to make this year's IM much better (Lake Placid).

What I did for IMWI was I asked people floating around near me what they expected to swim and tried to be near people who were thinking they'd swim about what I thought I would swim.
I have noticed the same phenomenon in IM vs. pool. People's hiney's I can kick in the pool seem to whallop me in an IM swim.

I recommend a full wetsuit (long sleeves). This made me feel more protected in the crazy IM swim!
Quote Reply
Re: What Really Happens in an IM Swim? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

What I did for IMWI was I asked people floating around near me what they expected to swim and tried to be near people who were thinking they'd swim about what I thought I would swim.

Ha! I did the same thing! Did not work out so well. Bunch 'o filthy liars. ;-)

You know how they say "there are no athiests in foxholes?" Well there are no "truth tellers in IM." I would have spent more time climbing over the "fast" people in front of me if I wasn't so busy fending off the "slow" people behind me...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply