Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the latest you have worked out?
Quote | Reply
So recently I have found myself starting a 2.5 hour trainer ride at 8:30pm two weeks in a row. I must be nuts but I watch all my saved programs. I wondered how many of you end up doing work outs late at night as well. Anyone??

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest you have worked out? [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work until about 11:00pm at night, so quite often I find the best time to run for my 2nd or only workout is after work. My roommate was training for a hundred mile race and me a marathon last spring, so at midnight we decided to run to my parents house 20 miles away. We arrived around 3:00am....dead on our feet.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest you have worked out? [allanjel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is pretty kick ass!!

I got home at 10 from an interval workout on the treadmill (which sucked and I will never do again...) followed immediately by my swim. Unfortunately work demanded me today and I couldn't get the swim done in the morning. As much as I try to get out as early as possible so I don't workout late, it's rare lol.

Quote | Reply
I don't do late - I'm running at or a little bit before 4 am on most Monday mornings though, so I can get a workout in before I drive back to school.

I am the opposite of most college students: up early, bed early.

Does training that late ever interfere with your sleep?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've trained from the afternoon overnight without stopping until about 6 or 7 in the morning - but that was a deliberate thing to see how I handled training through sleep deprivation.

Normally the latest I will train up to is around 10 pm.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest you have worked out? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sleep gets dramatically affected if I workout too late. I try to be done by 9 or just a smidge after. I don't deal that well with running after 8:30. I wind up awake too late...exhausted & cranky as all hell, but unable to sleep. Swimming, on the other hand, doesn't affect me nearly as much and I can pretty much drop off after any swim workout. I think that comes from years of swimming though.

I've done the late workouts and as long as I keep in mind that I need about 2 hours of wind-down/normalization (unless I'm pushing to exhaustion or already dealing with it) I tend to be ok. Waking up is never an easy or pleasant thing for me (went to sleep at 9:30 last night, woke up at 7a today - was still groggy), so that's not much of an issue. Unknown on the long-term effects, though I'm sure it repetition would just continue to drain the engine.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchick,

Since I work at night I just start my day later than most. Get up between 8:00-10:00 am (depending on how late workout was). Eat breakfast, do some research and errands, hit workout in afternoon (swim or bike), go to work, hit LATE workout (run).

I am mainly a runner and finding time to do 20 milers on non-days off seems impossible, unless I go at night. I need about 3 hours to run not including drive time (if I go somewhere). There is a sense of peace I find running at night when all is calm and dark. It also made my job pacing from 11:00pm to 4:00am for that 100 miler with my roommate a lot easier on race day.

The only time I ever get up before 8:00 am to workout is if I have plans to workout with a friend or a race (and I don't workout late the night before then :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been known to do xc ski workouts from 12:30am-1:30am in the mornings occasionally....I once was skiing at 1am with a headlamp and come up on someone else skiing in the dark woods at the same time....kinda weird...we just said "hi" and kept going....
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest you have worked out? [allanjel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok have to ask...are you a guy??? As if you aren't then what kind of protection to you use when running that late in that remote of an area?

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gotten up at 1am a few times to get my 6 hour trainer rides in before work on a Friday morning so I could enjoy the weekends with my husband. I was usually a bumbling fool by Friday afternoon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ok have to ask...are you a guy??? As if you aren't then what kind of protection to you use when running that late in that remote of an area?
a body-sized fluorescent condom
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest you have worked out? [scj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess that would for sure keep most men away and probably women too! thanks for the suggestion

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha...no I am not a guy. We live in a suburb of Cleveland, so the routes I run are lit fairly well. I usually see a few police cars on my route too (which is a reason I picked those routes).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found myself in the womens forum today, so I thought I'd chime in. I've finished up my long runs before around 1:30am or later. I think I've found myself on the trainer around midnight as well ha. It doesn't make for a good nights sleep I'll tell you that much.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest you have worked out? [scj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
a body-sized fluorescent condom
Ha! I bet that's both aerodynamic and insulating. You'll probably see the pros wearing them soon.

Go that way really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest you have worked out? [TriStrut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am definitely a morning person, so I am not sure what I am doing on here...(LOL) So I am usually up at the crack on dawn.

But one of my favorite things to do (in the summer) is swim out to the middle of our lake on a full moon for night time activity. the water is like glass and have it all to your selves. (I usually bring one other person)
Anyone else ever to this? Midnight full moon swims?

http://www.edgeventures.org
Websites for endurance athletes
Simple websites for Simple Wallets
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest you have worked out? [orangeglow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have a very cool screen name :-)

that's all.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't stopped by in a while, so thought I would post.
My goal in life is to be in bed by 8:30pm...well, that's not really my goal in life (and realistically it's always 9:30).
I was never a morning person until I moved to Colorado, started working 60-hr weeks, and still wanted to keep up my triathlon habit.
Turns out, I am a morning person! But then again...so are most Coloradoans, based on the traffic and crowds at the gym at 6am.
I do now run at night with a headlamp, but it's with a group, and it's a social thing (as opposed to real training...but it helps me keep up with the 100/100). I wouldn't have been caught dead running at night in the past. I agree that it's actually quite peaceful and beautiful...as long as you can avoid twisting your ankle on a rock or getting eaten by a mountain lion : ). The best thing about my night runs is we always go to a pub afterwards and eat veggie burgers, fries, and $2 pints!
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest you have worked out? [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want in on your club. Where in Colorado??

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Fort Collins. I think the club opens at 4:30am...but I don't show up until 5 or 6 : ).
Where are you?
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest you have worked out? [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer I'm in southern Denver! Lucky you for having a running group that late at night! Totally cool!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest you have worked out? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i do about 90% of my run training between 9pm and 1am. shower and bed right after and sleep like a rock. swim is midday and bike in the evening (if on trainer). if outside bike is during the day, swim after wrok in the evening, run almost always at night.

Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest you have worked out? [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on a treadmill, or outdoors? just curious as it's dark then!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have run on a treadmill exactly 11 times this year, never again.

outside. i live in the middle of no where so there are not really houses, cars, or much of anything but corn ( on my 9 mile run the other night i passed 6 houses).

when i lived in columbus i ran there at night too, its just a lot more fun for me, only day time running rightn ow has either been at work with the kids or on trails.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes. I'm very much a morning person, but at my current place of employment I offered to take the 10am-6pm shift since the other physical therapist comes in at 8am. But it's actually a great shift since I can get one workout (usually a swim) done in the morning around 7, and then get another one in during the evening after work. Right now I pretty much train right after work, so I can be done sometime around 8-ish, depending on the workout. But once the weather warms up and it's daylight longer, I fully anticipate I'll be out much later than that!
Quote Reply