Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's a good entry level road bike for a 5'5 female?
Quote | Reply
Looking into getting her a bike. I'm thinking aluminum, maybe entry level carbon if there's a deal to be had.

She's 5'5 but has short legs. So I'm thinking a 48cm. Any suggestions ?
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good entry level road bike for a 5'5 female? [dza00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Price range?

My girlie likes her Specialized Dolce.
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good entry level road bike for a 5'5 female? [dza00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get a good entry level bike that's aluminum with carbon fork/seat post from almost (if not all) bike manufacturers. And most have women specific design that comes in the smaller size. Figure out what bike fits her and go with that. Entry level aluminum is a little different than entry level carbon. Seems like the components on the entry level carbon bikes are usually a little better. But fit and color is most important. Yes color. Especially if she's just getting into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'4" and also have short legs. The most important thing I can tell you is... avoid anything that claims to be women's specific. If she has a long torso, like I do then make sure you stick to small men's/regular bikes or she's going to be very uncomfortable. I ride a 48cm Cervelo and have no complaints. But I would add that while I know fit is important, I am also very particular about the aesthetics of the bike, especially color!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normally, i don't respond on the forum much, but i was surprised that your ask for help only had a few responses. I also find the women's forum a big bore. and it seems like a real and honest plea for help. If your problem had to do with your period or breeding or any of those other body functions, you would have more people giving their two cents worth. but a real triathlon Question???? I have used the fly and ride some bike shops advertise. Nytro, (not female friendly) or better yet trisports. i think they are in Arizona. I have had a lot of luck with felts, and treks. I would go for a good frame because you can also get better components later. triathlete magazine has their buyers guide out, you can look at bikes. but getting on one and trying it is important. i'm 5'4 and i ride a 50cm. The bikes are so good these days, you really can't go wrong. I like felts....but lots of people like cerverlo. good luck. i hope this helps. if i think of anything else i will write.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about her height and also have a short inseam. I bought a Felt tribike (52) and due to their frame geometry (lower and longer) would look at them first for a road bike. Trek also seems to be a long & low bike but I personally have not tried one. I tried a 50 Cannondale Synapse that was nice but I could have downsize easily.

I agree with the poster about not getting a women's bike. The women's frame geometry has a shorter top tube (in general), which isn't what she needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I *want* to help, but I know just about nothing about bikes. My husband, on the other hand, lives and breathes bikes, and he might be more helpful, but he does not have any specialized advice on frames specific to women.

If it helps, he chose a woman specific design 50 cm Trek Pilot for me (discontinued) that we replaced with a WSD Trek Madone 5.2 frame when he noticed asymmetry in the seat stays. I have a short torso, very long arms, and extra long legs and I'm 5'3. I was professionally fitted on the Madone and I think my bike is great, but I have nothing to compare it to-- I tried out a few other bikes in the shop, and really, I couldn't tell the difference between any of them. I don't think either is an entry level carbon, so not what you're looking for.

I wish you the best in your search.
Last edited by: karencoutts: Mar 18, 11 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: What's a good entry level road bike for a 5'5 female? [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input everyone. It seems like the best thing for us to do is to just go to some local bike shops and try different ones out.

It does seem like there are so many good brands out there (cervelo, trek, felt, etc.) that it just comes down to personal preference sometimes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing... You may want to buy a used bike on eBay or locally on Craigslist so you can get a better bike for less money (you had mentioned getting a carbon fibre bike if it was a good deal). You'd have to do a lot of reading to protect yourself, but it's the best way to get a deal. Some sponsored triathletes sell their used bikes after only 1 year, but those will be used well. Other people buy bikes thinking they can somehow buy their way into getting fit, find it difficult to train and continue, then offload those bikes. Those bikes are usually barely used and can be a great deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to competitive cyclist web site.. they have a fit process. You take come basic measurements. Many bike are long in the top tube, ergo why bike manufactures started making the WSD with a more slope to the TT.
From there you will get a basic idea of sizing, but like running shoes, every 48 cm is not the same.

For entry level I'd look for alum / carbon, with 105 and Ultegra components. You might find a really good deal, but most LSB don't carry a large quantity of smaller frames. Plus I'd stay away from 650cm wheels. Mainly because if you and she are riding you cannot swap wheels around. Plus if she gets into racing, not much neutral support for 650cm wheels.

BUT yes.. go ride, most entry level bikes are pretty close the ride does matter. A LBS around here will actually let you take the bike OUT for like a week for a test ride... see if you cannot find similar... riding around in the parking lot just does not get it.

good luck in your search
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is 5'2" and has an '09 Bianchi size 48cm. We got it for just over $1000 about this time last year at our LBS. It has a carbon fork and carbon rear triangle. It also has Ultegra shifters and derailleurs. I'm a bit jealous actually since all of my bikes have 105 for the most part. It did come with an FSA crank though to save some money.

If you have a decently equipped and staffed LBS, you might find a heck of a deal. My son also rides an older Trek 1500 WSD 48cm. If you find one of these used for cheap it is a heck of a nice bike. I actually like it a bit better than my wife's Bianchi. It rides better to me but it is set up a bit longer since my son is now 5'4". I'm 5'7" so I feel cramped on her bike and a bit more comfortable on his. Next season he'll be riding one of my road bikes. Then I'll probably need to get him a larger bike of his own (I'm dreading the continued size upgrades over the years).

I really feel that Bianchi and Trek both make a nice women's specific bike in my experience. I'm sure Specialized does a good job too. I really like my urban assault Specialized town bike. Go to your LBS. All the money you can save in tax and on the internet will be made up for in service if your LBS is good.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply