Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit suggestion
Quote | Reply
This is a great idea for a new a forum.

Now a wetsuit suggestion for racers that, like me, after a race, just hose the wetsuit off in the backyard and hang the wetsuit out there on a big hanger to drip dry.

So if that is what you do, don't leave the wetsuit hanging outside overnight.

I made that mistake once last summer and some raccoons chewed up the legs of one and only prized wetsuit. Maybe they smelled my wetsuit lube or something. Then didn't eat the legs of my wetsuit, but they did turn the suit into neoprene swiss cheese.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit suggestion [byrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a drag! I don't understand the attraction raccoons have with things that aren't edible. My neighbor had a huge blow-up pool and the raccoons attacked it several times. I usually hang my wetsuit in the shower until it dries. So, I guess you're in the market for a new one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer! If you come to the ST Women's weekend, I *think* you can get a very nice discount on a DeSoto suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If tri wet-suits are made of the same stuff as diving wet suits (am pretty sure they are), I was always told not to hang them to dry outside as the sun degrades the material faster, which decreases the life span. I would suggest hanging to dry in the shower (as someone else has mentioned)
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit suggestion [Tri 2 Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was always told not to hang them to dry outside as the sun degrades the material faster, which decreases the life span.

This is a good point. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but generally speaking you should minimize the time that the wetsuit is exposed to the sun, particulary with the smooth-skin side out. They will dry faster in the sun with a breeze blowing on them, but as the OP has eluded to, sometimes people forget that they are outside and the sun or little critters have other ideas about your wetsuit! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit suggestion [Tri 2 Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know the sun is not good for the wetsuit material, but there's not too much sun overnight :-)

Our backyard raccoons are fat and sort of funny, and I like them although they seem really fearless. But I never thought they had a taste for rubber. Well, you only make that mistake once. Time for a new wetsuit anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooh that kinda sucks! But an excuse to upgrade can't be all bad :)

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can raccoons have fetishes? Maybe these ones were into that sort of thing;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit suggestion [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can raccoons have fetishes? Maybe these ones were into that sort of thing;-)

Well, hopefully they learned their lesson. Wetsuits can cause chafing in all the wrong places - not that I would know about that sort of thing.

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being an apartment dweller with no backyard, I've always been a hang the wetsuit in the shower girl. I usually run some water in the tub, soak the wetsuit in that, hose it off with the shower and then hang it on a hanger from the shower head. If I'm in a motel, I'll put a few towels underneath and hang it in the closet of the motel room to dry. So far this has always worked for me...

Sorry to hear about the raccoon damage, I would never have thought of that as a potential wetsuit hazard. (And I thought my dogs ate weird things!)

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hang mine on the back porch until evening, and after it's stopped dripping, I hang it in the laundry room.

This summer, I'm planning to install a closet rod in the basement by the utility tub so I'll have an out-of-the-way place to hang my wetsuit and any other tri gear that I'd like to drip dry so it doesn't rot/mold.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit suggestion [kylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But an excuse to upgrade can't be all bad

Indeed. Having been to three IM races last year, and because I pay attention to this sort of thing, I saw more than a few wetsuits that were, . . . well . . how to put this nicely . . ready to be retired. Time for something new!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply