Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit for a 5'2", larger woman (entry level)
Quote | Reply
I have an athlete who is as described in the subject, who is looking to purchase an entry level wetsuit. I'm having a hard time finding a wetsuit that would fit her and fit her price range (trying to keep it under $200).

Can any of you ladies out there in the world of ST recommend a wetsuit?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for a 5'2", larger woman (entry level) [born_to_TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your athlete might be a good candidate for one of the 2-piece DeSoto suits from a fit perspective. Much easier to accommodate proportions if you're not tied to a set torso length.

Alternatively, there are discount codes all over the web for Xterra suits, which are reputed to be quite stretchy - I think a full suit goes for under $200 with the coupon.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
"larger"= ?

big in shoulders, hips, thighs, breasts, gut? It will really come down to fit. She needs to get to a store or expo and try on as many designs as she can.

She can try some of the men's suits if she needs more space in the upper body, sometimes those fit better for short women. The two piece recommendation was also good. The sleeveless suits also sometimes give a little more give and feel less restraining if you have a little extra in the arms/shoulders, and may help with cooling if by larger you mean more BF. I would also recommend trying models designed for taller+bigger individuals, and trimming the excess arm and leg length if required.

Once she knows what fits her she can always try to get a used model to stay under price range. In general, higher $ range wetsuits are more flexible.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for a 5'2", larger woman (entry level) [born_to_TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not the most willowy thing on the block (wear a size 10, swimmer shoulders & thicker legs), though I am taller than your athlete at 5'6"....I love my QR sleeveless though it is a few years old. I also acquired a blueseventy something or other last year that I'm a fan of the fit. I have an xterra speedsuit that I got at some point or another that I also like the fit of. I think all are size larges...QR may make an XL?

Now, I despise swimming in all of the above, but that's due to my swimming roots & panicky nature with things on my neck & shoulders - has nothing to do with the suits. From a fit standpoint, I'm happy with the way that all three feel while I'm swimming (before, of course, I have to unzip them & pull them halfway down). I have another friend that's on the larger side & has always loved the DeSoto two pieces as well. It's really going to be a matter of her trying them on & seeing what she can deal with. There should be options out there, the size charts aren't always reliable.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you checked ProMotion out of Hood River OR. They used to make shorter length tri wetsuits but only starting at w's size 10 or 12. Their prices are typically quite good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a 2008 Zoot Synergy that worked for me when I was well into the Athena category, and I'm 5'1". Been trying to find a good home for it--it's a very nice suit. $125 including shipping. PM me if you want it.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a little taller -- 5'5 and overweight ( doing good on that front with losing, but still very overweight) I just got a wetsuit for this season. It is a profile designs wahoo suit. You can find them under 200 -- check amazon. I'm well over the weight for the size I got (xxl) but it fits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a QRoo ultrajohn in XL when I was 5'4", 185, size 12-14. It fit fine and the dimensions favor short, curvy. Too bad I didn't have a reason to use it until I was 145, size 4-6. I had to buy another and that one hangs in the closet with the tags still on as a reminder that I am too lazy to put it on ebay!

Coach Brain: Accelerate 3 ; Incoherent Ramblings
Quote Reply