Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Well that was embarassing...
Quote | Reply
Does it ever get better?.....
I had the smart idea of going for a group ride in the Gats. (Gatineau Park)..apparently "rolling hills" :-( it almost killed me...
I got my ass handed over to me.....I do well on flats..but going up-hill was a disaster...I lost the group within 10mins....after 20 mins, turned back.
I've only been cycling for 2 years, this is my 3rd...will it get better? Any tips on how to improve (I know the obvious "keep riding hills")?
I don't want to quit...i'm just a little disappointed in myself...
Quote Reply
Re: Well that was embarassing... [SBR613] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep your chin up and keep your wheels pointed up :-)

It sounds like you did pretty well. I am assuming it was your first group ride. It takes a while to get used to excellerations and how to position yourself in the group so that you don't get dropped. Over time you may find that riding in groups is is not for you, but if you like it, it will most likely improve your cycling tremendously and you will make a lot of good friends/acquaintances.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gats are a tough ride. I wanted to die my first loop and I only had one person riding with (read - they were far far ahead of me cause I was slow) I can not imagine doing it as a group ride the first time. But I kept going back on my own and doing it over and over again and it gets better every time. I think you really need take it at your own pace particularly the first few times out. PM me some time if you want to ride a nice easy loop together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it does get better. lots better. (the pain might not go away, but that is cycling).

there will be days you'll want to throw your bike in a dumpster. but there will also be days where you feel like a superhero.

just keep going.

it doesn't hurt to do a ride now and then that is good for the ego. ;) pick a route you can spank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to ride hills get yourself 50/34 compact cranks and 12-25 cassette. Makes a huge difference compared to a 53/39.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: May 29, 08 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power to you for cycling the gats. I've skiied up them on numerous occassions, but never biked!
Quote Reply
Re: Well that was embarassing... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right on!

getting a compact crank immediately jumped my cycling to the next level (last year). a compact is a great investment for hill riders.
Quote Reply
Re: Well that was embarassing... [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even just a better cassette - most LBS will gear you 11-23 in the back but even going to -25 or -27 - will give you some extra granny gear.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just keep at it and don't agonize about not keeping up with a group. I train with guys who are much better than me. I don't worry about trying to keep up to them but take comfort in the fact that if I have a problem out on a ride - they will come and look for me (eventually). Sometimes, on longer rides they are sweet enough to take turns keeping me company. But they also know they can leave me behind and I'm okay with that.

"there's talking....and there's doing"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were they a bunch of roadies? Bike racing is way different than straight tri training so if you aren't used to it, yeah, that's what happens. Keep at it. Riding with stronger riders is good.

And if you have a chance to ride with pro riders, then watch them and notice the difference. They are magic on the bike. One of the Bissell team guys and a Slipstream guy lives in the area and both were at the track last night. Everyone does the warm up together and seeing Ben Jacque-Maynes ride was pretty amazing. Seeing Daniel Holloway sprint is equally amazing.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go back for more - if you just keep doing it, it will come. I've gotten faster riding with people that can drop me in a heartbeat, just hanging on for dear life.

And it sounds like you picked a hard group ride! So don't get down on yourself, maybe just go practice that course once or twice and then go try again. It will come if you keep at it!
Quote Reply
Re: Well that was embarassing... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the encouragements...i'll keep at it..but go a few times on my own..then try again with the group..
but yes...they were all roadies...
thanks again
:)
Quote Reply