Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight on hands
Quote | Reply
Lately I've started using my bf's computrainer instead of my plain trainer, and I love it, but my last couple of rides I'm having trouble getting my left hand comfortable and it's obvious I'm putting way too much pressure on both hands, though my right hand FEELS okay. Numbness in ends of a couple of fingers in left hand.

I've had trouble with this before and it resolved on it's own.

Right now we're adding padding (towel) and plan to move my seat forward before my next ride (which isn't for awhile since I'm gone this weekend) by 1cm so that I'll be less stretched out. Edit: My bf moved my seat forward while I was showering after my ride! He is the BEST!

Any other suggestions? I know I could get gloves or change the handlebar tape but I kind of figured the towel was doing the same thing. My bf also suggested we could change the handlebars to a flat top handlebar as well but I'm being cheap and wondering if there are other, cheaper, suggestions out there.
Last edited by: Teags: Jan 20, 10 16:52
Quote Reply
Re: Weight on hands [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This happened to me once when the angle of the handlebars was too much. This was on a road bike set up and I'm not familiar with Computrainer, but raising the bars a bit (rather, angling them back towards me, helped a lot).

Or, maybe the seat is too high, so you're leaning down with all pressure on your hands? Can you tell if your rear and feet are taking less of your weight than normal?
Quote Reply
Re: Weight on hands [Lilac J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

The stem of my handlebars has been flipped, though my bf is thinking we could switch from an 85mm stem to an 80mm stem. Also he doesn't think that I have very padded handle bar tape.

I ended up riding today (sore shins, started my run and decided a bike would be best), and it was better with the seat moved forward. Still have a fair amount of weight on my hands but a real noticeable improvement.

Am wondering about lowering my saddle though - a friend suggested I lower it a bit as a saddle sore preventative as well, though those have been good lately. Still, maybe I'll lower the saddle .5-1 cm and see how that is, my knee angle is good right now but if I can maintain that and be a bit lower that be good. Good idea, thanks! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this issue myself once... I relieved it by having my position/fit checked and getting some Cobra Wing flat handle/aerobars (instead of the bars that originally came with my bike). Turns out that I was putting too much pressure on the carpal area of my hand/wrist. With the Cobra Wings I ended up being a lot more comfortable; having a larger area to 'rest' on when I wasn't in aero position. If you're experiencing numbness & tingling, you might be putting too much pressure on the carpal area of your hand/wrist as well... your ulnar (and median, to a certain extent) nerve runs right through there.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight on hands [dupeetriclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fit seems to be pretty good - my bf has also suggested getting flat handlebars, which while I'd like to avoid the cost, will be worth it if they help. I'm glad to know they worked well for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been having issues with this as well - for me it has been less about the bars and more about the seat position (fore/aft, height, and most importantly the tilt). I tend to need my seat tilted down quite a bit to help with saddle sore issues but this really increases the loading through the front. If possible, try tilting the saddle up a little from where it is (not actually tilting up though :-) and I think you will find that this helps with the weight distribution.
Quote Reply