Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight loss during heavy training period?
Quote | Reply
So, I'm 8 weeks out from this year's first "A" race (Auburn) - and, coincidentally, have exactly 8 pounds to shed to achieve my ideal race weight.

It's tempting to declare one pound a week as my goal.

Last week I did lose a pound, but I was recovering from the flu. My body wasn't screaming for fuel all the time.

Have you tried to lose weight during "heavy" training (15+ hours/week)? How did you do it without compromising your workout fueling/energy/recovery?

or should I just try for 1/2 pound a week...

Dang...usually I give myself till about July to get slim...but it's those climbs at Auburn, those climbs!
Last edited by: Oleander: Mar 24, 08 17:20
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss during heavy training period? [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh....I always struggle with balancing a calorie deficit to lose weight with taking in enough calories to fuel my training.

I'd say go conservative and assume .5 a week. I think much more and you won't feel peppy for your workouts.

Let me know how it goes. I have 90 days to lose 10 lbs and I swear it will take me that long.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone's different, but I lose most of my weight during base training, not in build or peak. Sorry. :-( AP

PS: read Maffetone about burning fat.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a ton of injuries last year where I couldn't run, I was about 30 lbs heavier than normal (15 lbs heavier than I had ever been). July 1st I was finally able to run, swim, bike again. 9 months later I am 35 lighter. I didn't really try to lose weight i just started training for IMAZ (July-Nov were base since I was really starting from scratch, Nov-Dec were a wash with the holidays, although I did not gain any weight at all, Jan-now has been IMAZ training). I went through times were I lost a lot of weight, but couldn't train because I didn't have energy, then there were times where I might have put on a lb or 2 during recovery weeks etc. I know at first I was about 5-10 lbs a month, but now I'm about 2-3 lbs a month. w/ 3 weeks before IMAZ I'm really watching what I eat and eating ONLY healthy food, no junk food, no caffeine, no alcohol at all. When i eat like this it makes it soo much easier to drop the lbs. I'm trying to drop 5 more before IMAZ because that's the weight I race (and look) best at, but it might not happen. My goal is not to gain a lb during the taper, which means constantly monitoring what I eat.

The thing that I found that helped for losing weight during big training times and maintaining energy was recovery food, as healthy as you can get, then lots of fruits and vegies. The better the food the less your body will crave other/more stuff (or so it seems to me), get all your essential nutrients out of really healthy food and you should be okay.

I think 1 lb a week would be tough, because if it's your A race, you want to go into it well rested, which means a taper, so planning on losing weight that week is probably out (at least I've never been able to lose weight in a final taper week). A 5lb drop and then hold until the race would be my goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, probably better off with half a lb a week, especially since you "only" want to lose 8 lbs.

Personally, I am not big on formally attempting weight loss (this is just me , I know others differ). But if I am feeling bloated or chubby, I usually just lay off unnecessary stuff like a second helping of chocolate, and it evens out eventually. And also make a really strong effort to never get over hungry b/c that is when I overeat and make poor choices.

good luck -- if any weight is stuck on you race day just think it will help you ride downhill faster ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Andypants--weight loss is best during base. Sorry!
That being said, 1/2 pound/week seems more reasonable. I'm gonna geek out on ya here: If you train with a powermeter, I'd check your power to weight ratio during this weight loss and make sure you're not losing your ability to generate watts while losing weight. Better to be heavier and strong than light and weaker.
Another way to cut out weight on the bike during climbs is to toss a water bottle off at the beginning of the climb (of course, without compromising your hydration). If you're going to be riding near anaerobic threshold, you won't really be drinking much anyway.
Also, snazzy new race wheels can shave off weight on the bike, compromising only your wallet ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really struggle with this too....
Last week I ran over 70 miles...and gained! and I swear I do not give myself license to eat whatever; I never think: ok I ran 10 miles now for a muffin.
So I was thinking its time for drastic measures. I just last week started no sugar, no cream anymore in coffee, no alcohol, no eating after 8pm, bread/oats only in morning (that is when I train), etc. Just for one month to see what happens.
Ok please no need to tell me: a calorie is a calorie, this is for a month only, and I am looking at it as part of training, rather than a diet per se. For some reason I do need that 'all or nothing' mentality, as I find that works: for ME. And its only for one month.
And one thing for sure, I feel great already! but I wont weigh in til Friday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMAZ (April) will be my fourth IM and this has been the first time I have ever lost weight in the final three months of heavy training. The number one difference this time has been extreme motivation. When I broke my wrist at the end of December, which meant no swimming or riding outside for six weeks, I decided I had to seize control of what I *could* control. (Especially after gaining 10 lbs between Sept-Dec... ugh. Travel + holidays double-whammy.)

So I've been counting calories in/out using fitday. Aiming for about 700 cals/day deficit (but I am big/tall anyway, so 1.5 lbs/week is not as much for me as for a smaller person). As someone else mentioned, recovery eating is KEY. I eat lots of small meals, keep dinner light (often a big salad with lots of veggies and good protein) and and try to finish eating by 7:30pm. I do go to bed hungry sometimes, which sucks, but it does help. I never ever go into a workout hungry. I fuel well during long rides/runs. Most of my eating, especially carbs, is done early in the day. It keeps me from going crazy at night.

Also important: very little eating out, no alcohol, and small dessert treats like good dark chocolate. I will never go off sweets cold turkey. Good chocolate keeps the cravings at bay. I admit I had a couple drinks last week, but that was the night of a friend's funeral and totally worth it. (And man, I got buzzed quickly!)

So yeah, after four years I have learned that it can be done. I've lost 20 lbs since January. And this time I refuse to gain my usual post-IM 10 lbs so I've set another 10-lb loss goal for June.

Good luck at Auburn!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have traditionally gained weight during heaving training stretches, and this time my goal is to avoid that. I don't know that I could lose during peak training - my body responds right away to any calorie deficit (tired, cranky, headaches) so I just can't sustain that. I think I usually gain weight by falling victim to the "I can eat anything" frame of mind, and I end up eating far more than I burned. This time, I am following my own hunger signals to make sure I eat enough but not going overboard on unhealthy feasts. I may treat myself to a big breakfast after a long run, but I'll have a healthy dinner and snacks later that day (previously I would also "reward" myself with pizza, ice cream, etc, yikes!). Anyway, I guess my point here is to make sure you are fueled up without overindulging, and your body will find a balance. Restricting too much could be a mistake at this point! I hope this helps a little. :) Good luck at your race!

Training for: Barb's Race HIM 8.2.08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't flucuate a lot during the year. part of that is that my body seems very good at regulating (i don't put on weight, or lose weight easily) and part if it is that i could never let myself go more than MAX 5 lbs in the offseason. mostly in race season i am just leaner, i seem to naturally replace some body fat with muscle when i ramp up the training. i lose about 5 lbs going into my race season, and as other have said, its during the base phase. I aim to be at my ideal race weight by my first race of the season, which this year is april. I'd go for .5 a week, given that you're training a lot right now. i have virtually cut out alcohol and small extras (no crutons on salads, coffee with skim instead of cream, replacing dessert with a grapefruit etc) and that seem to do it for me, with out me feeling like i am skipping meals, going into workouts hungry, or god forbid, not having dark chocolate. dieting becomes miserable when your meals really take a hit. stay fuled, just skip the empty calories that you don't truly enjoy.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply