Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly check-in August 23
Quote | Reply
How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly check-in August 23 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goals were:
6 runs --- did 8 --- 49.5 mi
3 rides --- did 5 --- 6:36 --- awesome to have Murphy's Law for company on two rides!
3 swims --- did 1
2 yoga --- did 3 --- 3:30

Pretty good week :D

Goals for this week:
6 runs, 3 swims, 3 rides. It will be easier to get swimming in this week than it will cycling because I have some travel for work and school.
Another goal I need to make is something to do with reducing or eliminating light foods/artificial sweeteners. grrr.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week:
- 4 runs (2 w/ dog in am, 1 lunchtime hill run if it cools down, 1 other run either LSD or intervals) -> CLOSE: ended up with 3 runs (2 w/dog and 1 intervals) plus a nice hike with the fam + dog...
- instead of running every day lunch, I'll swim until it cools down, so... 3x swim this week. -> DONE and SOME: Swam 5x last week!!! Most I've swum in the preceeding 7 months! Seriously!
- 1x ride (3hrs again would work) -> FAIL. The hike with the kids was the tradeoff. I'm OK with that tradeoff ;-)

This week:
- run 4x (2 w/ dog; 2 at lunch)
- swim 2x (maybe 1 OW in Okanagan)
- no riding

Heading off on camping vacation with kids, stopping in Penticton to watch IMC on Sunday. No riding for a while...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly check-in August 23 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't remember what I did during the week last week so I suspect it wasn't much (I've been a bit confused but).

Did do a backcountry trip this weekend - all bushwhacking Saturday and Sunday on Crown Land through some relatively thick stuff (you should see my legs!) and swam a lake with my pack (and a dog) to cross. Built a 'survival' shelter out of garbage bags, duct tape, and rope with a bed of branches covered by pine boughs and ferns and obviously we built our own fireplaces etc (campsites were not established). Lots of fun.

I was offered to be on the executive of the outdoor club I volunteer for but I haven't decided.

This week: run tonight and Wednesday. Thursday we fly for Penticton as the bf is doing IMC.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly check-in August 23 [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey cool, maybe we'll run into each other ;-)

Your "adventure" sounds awesome! Bit jealous!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals were just 2 swims, 3 rides + 3 runs. all done, including the run i planned to do while i was at the rally! makes it easy when the group ride doesn't happen due to all-day rain..

this week's goals:

swim x 3
bike x 4
run x 3

need to get back to work, as i only have 3 weeks before the final race of the year!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
My week was GGGGGGrrrrrrrrrrrreat! (Imagine Tony the Tiger there, please.) :P

Goals were:
Swim: 2 pool, another 2.4 ows --> skipped the ows, hubby got a cold and I didn't have anyone else to swim with, and the lake we were planning on is 45 min away, so meh.
Bike: 2 shorter, 1 long --> DONE! Felt great, did the longer one (70 mi) 0.8 mph faster than usual.
Run: 1 transition run, 2 medium (with speed!), 1 long --> DONE! Also, ran my 13.5 miler faster than my current half PR. Heck. Yes.
Other: Finish putting together 'IM support team goody bags' for my parents, in-laws, and sister. --> DONE! Also got together a schedule for mtgs, gear drop off/pick up, start times, etc etc etc so they know when we will be MIA while they visit.

This week:
Swim: 1 pool, 2 ows
Bike: 2 shorter, 1 long
Run: 1 transition, 2 medium (with speed)
Other: 1). Be careful! I feel too good, I don't want to over-do it now... 2). Track what I eat! I have zero idea right now, just whatever I want, but I've noticed lately that I'm doing a lot of beans, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc for the energy needs, but not as many fruits and veggies as I'd like. I really should eat more deliberately.

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Your "adventure" sounds awesome! Bit jealous!

AP

Ditto what she said!! ^^

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly check-in August 23 [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool idea on the goody bags... are they for the support people or you?! Either way I like it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my support peeps. I stole the idea from BT. Basically its one of those cheap string backpacks, with maps, pace/location spreadsheet, water bottles, snacks, sunblock, wet wipes, cow bells, ice cream gift card, sudoku book, etc inside. So hopefully they won't be bored out of their minds all day and hate me by the end. :)

Haha, someone definitely does need to make me a goody bag!!! But it will have to be big, because it will need to contain a personal masseuse, a spa, and 5 gallons of ice cream. Mmmm.... :)

-----

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you guys can see them but here's some pics of our garbage bag shelter and fire.
http://www.facebook.com/...630190844&ref=mf

The hardest part of the trip was the swim - 250m across a lake, but I had my German Shepherd with me and he's scared of the water. I got him a good (Ruffwear) lifejacket but the swim was difficult. I decided to jump in while holding onto his lifejacket so he'd be in the water and not have any choice about swimming, but that submerged him and as soon as I saw that I was like 'OH SHIT'. He did pretty well, alternating between swimming normally in the right direction, trying to swim ON TOP of the water in relatively the right direction, trying to climb on top of me (this was dangerous), to swimming sideways (I would turn with him, since I had him on leash, but then I'd get tangled in the leashes that attached my bag to me - a shorter line would've been better), to swimming backwards, to sort of resting in the right direction and letting me pull him.

Him trying to climb on me was the dangerous part - he's a very small German Shepherd, out of standard (he's also thin, you can see multiple ribs - I like to see a couple of ribs so he could gain a lb or so) - but even still having a freaking out dog trying to climb on top of you in the water - it honestly was like those simulations you see of a drowning person shoving their rescuer under the water, except it wasn't a simulation. I'd try to calm him down but I'd get shoved under/down and it was exhausting. After a few times I'd id him coming to climb on me and shove him away and forwards, and that worked better. Once we got about halfway he started to calm down too. My bf wasn't sure if I should bring him because he's afraid of water but he's not going to learn to swim and be comfortable if he never goes in. He learnt to cross streams and rivers (when I first got him I had to carry him over, he would pull out of harnesses to not cross) by doing, and now he does it without a thought.

We had a group of nine so the organizer dropped off 3 groups of 2 and then myself, him, and my partner that I built my shelter with bushwhacked behind them to be closer to where we planned to cross the lake the next day and made our campsite there.

We picked everyone up the next day and looked at their shelters (we were the only ones who went entirely not prefabricated) and then came back to ours. The organizer had walked down the shore a bit and saw some boats stashed on the other side, so he and I swam across and took one of them (the other wasn't seaworthy) - we boated everyone across in 2 trips and left the boat where we found it and then started the bushwhack home.

It was fun! But I will be very happy not to see juniper bushes for quite some time. Luc was pretty good going through them but because of height he really got the full brunt of them, and a couple of times had a bit of trouble. He loved it though - he loves hiking - so that was good. I would've brought my other dog, Neb - he can swim - but he has an ear infection so no swimming for him.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly check-in August 23 [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't see the pics. :(

So, why do you get to go on all these way cool, bad-action trips? I gather its leading some sort of group - is this volunteer work, friends, job, ? Sounds like a lot of crazy fun.

-----

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly check-in August 23 [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do these trips on my own or with friends, and I do them as part of an outdoor club I volunteer for (I also volunteer with a 'Friends' group for my favourite provincial park and I maintain a section of the Bruce Trail, which is a 800k trail here in Ontario). This trip was actually a club event but I was not the volunteer leading it.

The next trip I'm doing is with a friend (another volunteer from the club, actually) - we're doing the trail in a park up north in 2 days, which will be the record for a dog (Luc, who came on the trip this weekend).

On our way back home we'll stop at a government dock along a river surrounded by Crown Land - he and I are going to be building our own backcountry/wilderness trail there and while I know the area from canoeing, and we're working on the general direction of the trail, we are going to scout out some places to cross the river that is at the start (what the government docks are on) that hopefully won't be too far from the government dock parking area (can leave cars parked there for free). There's a couple of dams but it's been a while since I've been there and I can't remember if they're suitable for crossing. I've been eyeing axes online as we'll need a proper one (or two) and saw the most gorgeous one for $350 - a whole new range of gear for me to get into! I'm still not paying $350 for an axe though, no matter how well it fells and clears trees.

I posted some pics of the trip on Picasa:
http://picasaweb.google.ca/...GarySSurvivalSeries#
Last edited by: Teags: Aug 23, 10 18:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I've already done the last race of my season, I've been taking it easy. Computrainer class on Saturday kicked my butt. Did two short rides and one short run last week. One OW swim. Work is getting busy so it was a challenge to get these few workouts in.

Now, I'm gearing up for a big day of volunteering at the Chicago Triathlon Kid's Race on Saturday. Since I'm not racing Chicago, I still wanted to do something... although I will be spectating the main race on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after an ssri and an snri failed me over the last 5 months, i just started an nri.

we'll see how this one goes!
Quote Reply