Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 01/19/2009
Quote | Reply
So we haven't been doing the Weekly "How'd You Do" Thread in 2009. Is this because of lack of interest or just cause no one has started it in a while. I would be all for keeping it going in 2009. How do the rest of you feel?
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 01/19/2009 [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I think it's been probably just no one starting one? Or we're all stuck in the funk of winter.....

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a good cycling week last week. Lots of outside riding and the clinics and practice race yesterday.

For this week: More riding. Get it in while the rains stay away. Get back to lifting regularly! Tighten up nutrition.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 01/19/2009 [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week was a good week for me. I made all of my workouts, on schedule. I also started a pilates reformer class and spent Sunday snowshoeing.

Goals for this week:
1) Swim good races at the Evanston Masters swim meet on Sunday (100 free, 100 breast, 100 IM, and some relays)
2) Get a pilates and yoga class in
3) Eat no french fries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since my goal for '09 is one chin up, here's the progress report: I can hang there and bend my elbows a little. That's it. Same as last week. But I'm determined.

Otherwise just the usual off season stuff -- masters, weight lifting, spinning, treadmill hell (due to the sub zero temps and ice), stair climbing, pilates ... I like the unstructured training -- "do something most days" is the plan, and that's about it.

sarah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot to address the main issue...how I did.

Last week was a good week - Master's on T, R and Sat - all three somewhat punishing workouts.
Ran on M and Sun - only 10 mi., I missed Wed. tempo run, but it's still early
Yoga on Fri. - total ass-kicking.
Core sessions on M and Sun. Prone Pike Press and Plan punishment. But Sun felt better than Mon. Progress!

This week:
M, W, Sun. - Run...follow the plan.
T, R, Sat - Swim (1 hr postal on Sat.)
Trainer - Put my butt on a bike for a little while
Breakfast every day, dinner by 9

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week: 56.5 mi running, 10k swimming, 50 min cycling. Week before that was 58.5 mi running, maybe as swim and bike? And the week before that - training camp in AZ - was a 28 hr training week with most of it cycling time. Awesome.

Also had my first week of school, which went very well. I have been very sick since I got back from Arizona - getting over a flu and cold. The hardest part of the first week of school was just being tired all the time!

Current whining: I have been so HUNGRY. I don't know if it is the having been ill for two weeks and not had much appetite and now my body is trying to make up for it, but I've had a three day weekend from school and all I've wanted to do is eat. Seriously - run, nap, read, eat... I am acting like a growing teenage boy!!! This hunger all the time is scaring me somehow, I guess it's a good thing because my metabolism is obviously on hummingbird mode again but it's odd for me to WANT to eat - usually I prefer feeling hungry. I was supposed to get bloodwork done this morning, which has to be done fasting - I got so hungry at 6 am that I surrendered to a bowl of oatmeal. (You would think someone who was anorexic for four years and still dabbles in it could go for 12 hrs without food but nooooo).

In addition I've been wanting and eating things like macaroni and cheese, pizza, popcorn (with extra butter... and a handful of M+Ms), cinnamon rolls (those were this morning). Things so out of character for me to crave.

That said: I haven't been writing down what I eat. I haven't weighed myself since... December 22 I think? somewhere around there. I haven't been obsessing over weight, or food, haven't been adding up calories, haven't purged since Jan. 4 (two weeks!!!) --- I am doing really well.

But this whole hunger thing is crazy! I would think I were pregnant, if I didn't know better...

reassure me that it's just the illness catching up with me, that it's okay?

Alright - goals for this week:
-put my bike back together (it's still in pieces from flying with it)
-work on thesis 3 times
-swim Tuesday, Wed., Thurs., Friday
-shoulder weights every other day (and abs with those - if I stop coughing - coughing is enough of an ab workout in itself)
-ride 3x

Thanks for listening to me whine about the eating stuff. I keep trying to reassure myself "better to make sure your're getting enough than undereating"

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 01/19/2009 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did all my workouts since I started working with Brian on the 1st. I've run every day, some days twice. Today is my first day off. I feel great. I've lost 1.5 pounds and I really feel the difference in my body. I'm loving it.

My goal for this upcoming week: All the workouts on my schedule. Keep focusing on not shoving everything in my mouth and look for a new job.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your body is probably reacting to all the training. The Tucson trip likely fired up your metabolism. I find that after camps I'm hungry for at least a week.

Listen to the machine and eat!

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 01/19/2009 [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you'd be proud of me - I just got in from snowshoeing!!! Was thinking of you.

Thanks for the reassurance re: eating.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I would also say just eat if you want to!! :-) For some of us it might not be such a good thing, but for you it seems to be.
I am glad to see this thread again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought about this thread recently - glad to see someone starting it again! Wait, is that redundant? (starting, again...?)

I have not posted anything on here for a while but am happy to do so now!

Last week was good, 3 bikes, 4 swims, 4 runs. Starting more structured (not totally but more) training ... Did a group CompuTrainer class/ride that kicked my butt totally, as one of my rides. It was GREAT. Also used my new Yak Traks (sp?) in the little snow we had in Central Park. Really really fun!! Also am really happy I got NINE hours of training in which for me is excellent.

This week
4 swims, 1-2 of them Masters, one the postal 1-hr swim (eek!)
4 runs, one in snow with Yak Traks
2-3 bikes including CompuTrainer class
2 strength sessions, bodyweight stuff

I am totally looking forward to this season, it will hopefully be a good one of hard racing and challenging training. (Last one was slow due to a bunch of small injuries and life things.)
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 01/19/2009 [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were to write out everything I've eaten today you guys probably would not believe me... LOL. Bedtime snack was 2 natures valley sweet + salty granola bars, an apple, all 3 of the things doused in peanut butter. My crazy metabolism!!! Hopefully that'll tide me over so I can get the bloodwork done tomorrow :P

edit - yes it is definitely good for me but it is *scary.* Something to "dig" into in therapy tomorrow, why it is so scary to want food and give into that hunger...

Last edited by: tigerchik: Jan 19, 09 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 01/19/2009 [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
postal swim!!! I couldn't do it on account of snow yesterday. Good luck!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey girls - I am new to Slowtwitch, taking part in the 100/100. Mind if I join you? I am training for my first IM (Canada) and loving it! I had a good week - 11 hrs 20 mins - mostly running, with 2 swims and a few spins.

Angela
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 01/19/2009 [Angela K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome Angela! We are always excited to meet new people. Several of us have done Canada and other IMs so we can understand how good it feels to train, and sometimes how bad it feels ;-)

Usually we post our goals for the week then follow-up next week. Some go into details, others give general outlines. However you decide to commit in writing works for us.

If you haven't already figured it out we talk about anything and everything. Join in the fray!

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 01/19/2009 [Angela K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome! I'm in 100/100 too and, much to the guy's dismay, causing some trouble on the total time and total distance front... oh even pace sometimes too :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi - Since I'm not the only newbie this week, thought I'd take this opportunity to jump in as well.

Last week was rough due to work travel, but this week I'm laying out some clear goals.

Swim 3x (5000 yds total)
Bike 4x (80 miles)
Run 4x (20 miles)
Weights 3x
Yoga 4x (15 min ea)

Whew, guess that makes it official :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a postal coming up on Sat. too!! Yuk. Odd memories of HS torture...those one-hours for distance where no one else counted...they just all based how far they went off of me...misery. Hopefully our pool is warmer this weekend than it was last. Looking forward to the opportunity to zone out though. Thinking of breaking it into 3x20s for my own mental stability. Anyone want to count for me? Ha.

Eating is good. Eating is healthy. Surely a result of the increased training load, running and getting back into the school routine. Try not to stress about it too much. You're on the good end of the battles now, you know how to manage yourself, you're doing great.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another newbie chiming in...
swam 6900 yds
rode 40 plus, 20 on my mountain bike (harder than I remember-it's been a year-had to dust off the cobwebs)
only ran 3-coming off of USA Fit marathon last weekend.
This week is looking good so far. I'm carrying around 5 extra pounds after IM Louisville and really hating it. Thank goodness for Spanx!

"A merry heart doeth good like medicine." (Proverbs 17:22)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the support. I really am in a pretty healthy place right now and it feels nice.

The thing with not writing food down or adding up calories is that I don't obsess or stress that much :-) this is good too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so far so good...

got bike put together
WORKED ON THESIS THIS MORNING!!!!!! finished revising a section, sent an update to committee members.

Today is off to a good start :D

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 01/19/2009 [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eating is back to being "work" today. No fun. I am tired - I am noticing something: rested Alyie likes to eat everything in sight, tired Alyie prefers the hunger feeling, doesn't feel like getting off the couch to make something :P

I was craving mac and cheese after I swam and ate that easily and then had to force feed myself a salad / baby carrots a few minutes ago. There is no rhyme or reason to this!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to start most of the weekly threads, but I haven't been able to hang around ST as much as usual. I love these threads, so I say we keep it going. First one to have time on Monday morning should start the thread. Don't wait for me or anyone else. That way, we're not relying on one person to get it started.

My workouts have been crap right now due to some personal stuff I'm going through. Life is tough right now, so I've got to get that under control before I worry about my workouts. I have been doing a couple of runs a week, but that's it. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 01/19/2009 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
((((hugs)))) I hope things settle out soon.

Quote Reply

Prev Next