Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly How'd You Do: September 5 (Labor Day)
Quote | Reply
Happy day off to those who have it.
How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do: September 5 (Labor Day) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M – 4 mi run, swim 3000 yds
T – 12 mi run, swim 1600 yds
W – 9.3 mi run, swim 3000 yds
T – bike 1:20
F – 6.2 mi run
S – 6 mi run, swim 5000 yds
S – Olympic distance race: 800m swim, 26.5 mi bike, 6.6 mi run (3rd female overall for the race. No splits. 2:20, first out of the water of everyone :-), was 5th getting off the bike, finished third)

Week totals: swim 13,700 yds + bike 46.5 mi + run 44.1 mi

My goals had been 1h35 a day (or that as an arithmetic mean): I averaged 1h44 a day. Check. The other goal was to ride 3x; I rode 2x.
Eating I was 5/7 - had a rough patch.

My "goal" - plan, rather - for this week is to do some "other stuff." I've felt a little trapped in a swim bike run box and I think a week of training less and/or doing other forms of exercise will be good mentally and physically. If I feel like s,b, or r I'll do it, but stay tuned for things like "stair machine!" (the gym has a new one and it looks like fun) and other random things for next week.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work on the race, but why the shortened swim distance?

Last week: I was good and didn't try to ride my MTN bike - but it sure was tempting!!! ;-) At some point in the week (~Thurs) my upper back/left shoulder really started acting up - super tight, painful. Some of the runs were not comfortable at all. I think I jiggled something loose last MTB ride, something left over from my bike crash back in April. It may be time to suck it up and go see a chiro/physio. If I have to run a marathon with this kind of discomfort, it's going to be an ugly sufferfest.
M - Off - hip needs one more rest day, then maybe tape. => DONE. Resting is easy haha.
T - 35' EZ run at lunch => Done, felt good.
W - 35' EZ run with dawg in am/55' at lunch with 10x30" strides => only the lunch run was done (felt awesome!), but did also ride to & from work. Had a terrible sleep the night before; am finding running in the morning not so enjoyable these days (mental I think).
R - 45' run at lunch - pacing run (5x1000m desc.) => Done, with ride to & from work. This is about when my back tightened up, I woke up Thurs am all stiff and owie.
F - 35' EZ run with dawg in am/optional lunch run (35' ez) => No run, but rode to & from work, due to work/daycare changes. I also rode home with my laptop which absolutely killed my back. Dumb dumb decision. A lot of pain. I would have been better off going into the office on Mon instead of riding home like that.
St or Sn - 60' run with kids on bikes & dawg => DONE (Sat); bonus 1000m OW swim (Sun) which did not feel good at all - when pulling left and breathing right, the shoulder was very crunchy and unhappy. When flat, pulling left was no problem, only when breathing right i.e.: rotated to open the arm angle. Funny thing, the swim actually helped loosen up my back overall. As I write this today (Mon), it feels much better than yesterday.
Monday - Labour Day - This was scheduled to be my last LONG run i.e.: 30k. I will have to see how I am feeling. It may have to be 20 (which I can usually do pretty easily) => Just finished shy of 21k, but super hilly hard. I could still feel the discomfort in my left shoulder/back particularly when running on downhills. But it doesn't hurt to breathe, it feels better than yesterday, so as long as it's improving, I'll take it.

Totals: Run 52k (5X); ride 66k (3x); swim 1k (1x ha!).

This coming week: 3 weeks til marathon! Eeek! Start to reduce to ~80% of miles but throw in a bit more tempo/fartlek.
M: Run Long: 21k DONE (noted above)
T: Ride to & from work; run 40' ez at lunch
W:
Ride to & from work; run 60' w/30" strides in morning with dawg; optional ez run at lunch.
R: Ride to & from work; run ~45-50' tempo (pacing) at lunch.
F: Ride to & from work; run 40' w/ 30" strides in morning with dawg OR 40' at lunch.
St: Optional. Whatever I feel like *except* MTB. I get to MTB once I finish this marathon. That is my motivation right now ;-)
Sn: 18-22k run, at steady race pace, on similar terrain (i.e.: a lot flatter than what I ran today), with focus on form and taking in nutrition/water as planned (dress rehearsal). This should feel easy.
Other: Portion control: It's so hard, gotta not lose sight of the prize here. B12 supplements: Continue, they feel like they are helping. Shoulder/back: try to see a chiro or physio this week, and be mindful of sleeping positions. Feet: roll with golf ball a few more times a week.

So close.... will be very happy once this is over. Mentally feeling drained.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After feeling sorry for myself at missing IM Canada, I had some excellent workouts. One in the pool, where I felt flashes of my previous self by making my intervals, if not the entire distance required to be on target for a good trip at IM Arizona in November. I have already resigned myself to being a participant at IMAZ, as compared to a competitor, but I am building a strong base for IM St. George next May.

I also had a BLAST riding with a training client up part of Mt. Charleston today. He took off stronger than me, but little over an hour later of going straight up, I dropped him! The altitude was a welcome relief from the 100+ degree heat of the desert floor. It was the first time in months that I felt a refreshing chill on the descent.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do: September 5 (Labor Day) [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nice work on the race, but why the shortened swim distance?

I think they get more entrants that way. Having to swim a whole mile scares people (or so I'm told)
I think logistically the 800m swim works for them - otherwise they'd need more kayakers, or some way to count 2 laps of the swim etc. But YEAH, what is up with a short swim!!!

Hope your shoulder feels better.

Last edited by: tigerchik: Sep 5, 11 16:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I could see that - still sucks - I always like the longer swim (not that I'm FOP for the swim just like it).

Thanks re: shoulder. Day by day, right? Just needs to go in the right direction.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- 4 runs including a long run this weekend: WIN. i got 2 runs in at a freakin' motorcycle rally for a total of 6!
- 2 bike: WIN, though i would have liked them to be longer
- 3 swim: FAIL. no idea why i thought i could get 3 in, but i did 2 solid ones anyway.
- 5 core/strength: FAIL. 4 only, as i didn't get 'round to it at the rally (though i did move some heavy objects, spin a few wrenches and wrestle with a huge, heavy barn door a bit - call it functional strength ;)

this week's goals:
- 4 runs
- 4 bike
- 3 swim
- 4 core/strength

have an olympic tri and a 25k trail race coming up fast, so it's back to business!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Finished my first 100 mile ride of the year. Had to work in some intervals as I sprinted away from dogs. Only two more really long rides left.

On a mini-taper for a 70.3 this weekend. This time last year I never would have imagined that a week with a 70.3 race would be a "light" training week.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have much to report as I've been too depressed to run/workout, and was in hospital, so definitely no workouts.

But - this week.

I am going to try to do 3 runs, even if it's just short runs...,then I have a trail race Saturday, Sunday I will take off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three days of riding over the holiday, a total of 10 hours and lots of long (2-4 mile) climbs.

11.25 hours last week (M-Su). Another solid week.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do: September 5 (Labor Day) [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't broken out of the sbr box yet. I've done 2 rides and 2 runs. I've liked cycling this week, so I'm going with it. Maybe later in the week I'll want to do something different? The race was motivating for me.

Last edited by: tigerchik: Sep 7, 11 7:14
Quote Reply