Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/19/08
Quote | Reply
Happy Victoria Day to all the Canucks out there!! Smile

So, tell us how you did this week with respect to your yearly goals.
  • My running was spot on this week. Got in all my runs and had a really good long run on Wednesday. I really like having my LR mid-week instead of on the weekend.
  • Now that I'm running regularly, the weight is coming off too.
  • Still no cycling. Gotta work on that one. Trying to figure out how to work it into my schedule without making my life crazy.

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/19/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Week went ok. I successfully completed all of my workouts including 1 loop of the IM WI course. I was glad that I got out and road the course cause it actually eased my mind a bit. The last time I tried to ride the course, I was miserable, thought it was super hilly, and had to hitch a ride from a fellow athlete about 2 miles from my finish point. This time I felt great the entire ride, none of the climbs were too challenging, and I finished knowing that come Sept I will be ready for the bike course.

The only downfall of the week is that my left hip flexor/groin/quad (the soreness seems to move) is a bit tender. I only notice it when I run and when I push of the wall in the pool but not on the bike. I have no clue where the soreness came from as it just appeared on my brick run in Tuesday. Noticed it again on Sunday's run but it wasn't to sereve (the chafing in that area hurt more). I did discover that when running on the sidewalk or level pavement, it was less sore than when I was in the road where there is uneven pavement due to drainage. I have an appt with my massage therapist tonight so hopefully she can help.

If you hear from me next week, it means I survived the DATT!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4. Successful camp next week. All workouts with enthusiasm and get my nutrition right for the IM course ride on Wed.

I got a B for this one. I had a mini-meltdown on the day we rode the 1 loop of the IM CdA course. Frozen feet and frustration led to sitting in coach's car for 20 minutes. I get props for getting back out on the course though and finishing it. I also only did one loop on Wednesday but did get in 100 bu doing the out and back to Higgins point a couple times. As for the other workouts, loved them! Did 2000y in 52 degree water, did a couple awesome runs and a nice workout in the pool.

EDIT: No afternoon cookies!

Ummm....yeah....getting a C on this one. Only screwed up a couple times but certainly not perfect.

1. Hit every workout on my training schedule from my coach

I get an A-. The only workout I changed was yesterday I didn't do the full 3 hour run because I was running late to go shopping with a friend. I ran hard instead of long but I do need to get in the long mileage. From Sunday to Sunday I put in 32 hours of training because of camp.

2. Drop 5 lbs by June 22

I get an A! I've dropped 2lbs and feel strong still so I'm not compromising my training. The training camp really pushed me up over the plateau.

3. Stay injury free by icing my knee and taking my anti-inflammatories

I get a B. Not icing as often as I should but taking my anti-inflammatories pretty regularly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Borrowing Jenhs grading system, I guess I'll take a B-. (minus mostly cuz of the food!!!)

Only hit the gym for weights 1x, not the 2x planned.

Fell short of weekly plan goal by 30 minutes.

The worst: FOOD. Oh, good lord is it just evil (hormonally speaking) to be 45 ? I'm on NuvaRing and not supposed to have a period but it's like my body "knows" this should be the week and I truly felt like I could eat a house.

And eat a house I did. Since Wed till this a.m. the scale says +2.5. Argh. Really, how is it that most weeks I am so not food obsessed? I actually consumed a cream filled donut last Wed. A DONUT!!! I haven't eaten a donut in, oh, 3.4 years probably.

On that note, I better go defrost some fish to plan for a nice healthful lunch tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i skipped meals some days, but ran 4 times and trained 5 out of 7 days, which is a first since last August. now i'm considering a fall marathon, which is something i've been thinking about for a long time (doing a marathon).

poor eating makes me despressed, i cried yesterday. so i'm going to have to stay on it, things are too busy right now to be bummed out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a crappy week. I had way too much going on. Managed to get my training in, but blew off way too much other stuff. This is actually a good thing, it means I'm almost recovered from IMAZ (or so I'm being told).

2 weeks until Honu and I need to get back to eating right, stretching and just taking care of myself. As soon as the last house guest leaves tomorrow AM I'm cleaning the fridge of anything bad for me and restocking with all the good stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m getting better, but I’m not quite where I need to be yet. I keep dropping the strength training sessions. Bah! However, I’ve been very good about getting out in the lake and doing open water swims. (Now I just need to get over the“I can’t seem to move my arms in a wetsuit,” complex.) I was really good about the food – until I went to the preschooler birthday party (cake is my kryptonite). I also had my first overall finish (2nd) in a local running race. (I’ve only gotten age group wins up to this point).
Have a great week everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/19/08 [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get depressed! Just make a good choic for the next item you put in your mouth! ;o)

I, on the other hand, did NOTHING last week, went to a race on saturday (Harriman OLY), did ok, then an old ITB injury came out of nowhere on the run and i am very worried. I have Mooseman comming up and really need to work on running. this really sucks. And I too, am trying to eat very well but the hersheys kisses are all using Jedi mind tricks on me. Grrrrr.

I am going out for a bike ride! Whoo hoo! Its 5 pm!

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
http://jeannejeannie.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did better this week, but not perfect. Only swam once due to crazy thunderstorms, so that part was out of my control! I ran twice and rode once.

The first run was good, I run this very hilly 2-mile route around my neighborhood, or run/walk, really, and I didn't think I could run the whole thing. So I went out for my run and said, well, I've never really TRIED to run the whole thing (it's pretty intimidating), maybe I can now, so I did, except for 2 minutes of walking. I had to stop to cross a really busy street and then had trouble getting started again, so I let myself walk for 2 minutes and then forced myself to start again. Yay for me! But then my second run wasn't so great, I had major shin pain and only ran about 15 minutes before I had to walk. I really needed new shoes but was trying to save the money, I sucked it up that day and just went and bought them. I used to have big problems with shin splints when I first started running and this is like starting over, so I guess it all starts over... Fun.

I was supposed to ride again yesterday and I was all ready to go but when I was pumping up my tires I just didn't feel like going, I decided I felt like hanging out with the family instead so that's what I did. I don't feel badly about that decision, either! We had a fun day.

So a pretty good week. Now I need to get on the lose 15 pounds part of my goals, I went food shopping today and bought better stuff, so I am on my way there, too. I feel like I'm off to a good start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did really well on the training part of my goals - hit all of my workouts except for the Saturday swim (I need to figure out a way to reschedule that) even with a crazy heat wave hitting the area.

I didn't do quite as well with the food part, ate out too often and didn't really resist any temptation on that end. Still managed to lose a pound at the mid-week weigh in, so the lose 5 lbs before Lake Stevens is still on track (we'll see what happens at this week's weigh-in!) Plus, I managed to resist the giant bowl of peanut m&m's that lives in the office behind me which I am super proud of.

Good job, ladies!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three words: WORST WEEK EVER (well, maybe not ever, but at least since early October.)
I skipped most of my workouts (only worked out two days) and didn't eat very well. I was out of town with my mom two days last week (she was just diagnosed with breast cancer) but had opportunities to work out. I drove through Madison 4 times with my bike in the car and good intentions to ride the course, but never did.

It just doesn't sound fun at this point. I don't want to do Rockman (or any other halfIM) in June. I spent much of the weekend wondering if I even want to do IMWI. I don't know what my problem is, or if it will go away. Maybe it's just the combination of the stress of my mom, my new job that I started today and a mean case of PMS.
Specific progress (or lack thereof) on my goals:
1) Lose the pounds that came back this spring: get back down to 157 by May 28:
I was 158.6 on Wed.
2) Continue to get my long run in every week, and do at least one speed workout:
Did my long run, which was pretty short this week, but it ended at a bar meeting friends for beer and pizza.

3) I will swim at least two hours per week, hopefully three:
Swam twice for a total of 4500 yards. I'm happy with that :)

4) I will ride my bike at least 3 times per week for a total of at least 5 hours:
One ride, 75 minutes :(

5) Weight training two times per week for 30-45 minutes each time:
one session. 45 minutes :(

6a) i will eat 5 servings of fruits/veggies a day:
I bet I actually did this. I didn't keep track and was traveling a lot, but packed a cooler every day with lots of fruit.
6b) Only one dessert per week:
1 candy bar + 1 DQ sundae + 1 ice cream bar > 1 :(
6c) Only one reasonable serving of chips and salsa per week (my downfall!):
ok, I actually met this goal, but the two evenings of pizza, 4 evenings of a beer and a big tub of movie-theater popcorn cancel it out.
6d) Make sure at least 2 meals and 2 snacks per day are made up of entirely real food:
Yes, my little cooler helped me on this one :)

7) Spend 15 minutes every evening doing things I don't like to do. Empty the dishwasher, floss my teeth, sort a load of laundry, pay bills, etc.:
I did this most days, but the week was pretty hectic with the travel.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/19/08 [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job on your IMWI course ride - it's very intimidating the first time, but gets easier every time you do it.
Your hip flexor/quad thing sounds familiar to something I was dealing with earlier this year (and still do sometimes). I realized that when i was tired (from riding usually) my running form was off and I had a tendency to lean too far forward, and tilt my pelvis back, which fatigued my hip flexor right away.
A few visits to the chiropractor to straighten things out, and concentrating on tucking my hips/pelvis under my abs when I run has helped a lot! Might be worth a try for you...

good luck with DATT!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>For this week: heading the Washington, D.C. then Boulder, so it will be a run week by necessity. Goal is to not eat a lot of crap while staying in hotels Tuesday-Thursday. In Boulder it will be to not keel over when getting tested (bike/run testing and swim underwater videotaping)!<<

So-so for Tue-Thurs. while in DC. I only ran once since the 3-hour time difference and early meetings and evening stuff got in the way (though I did get to meet up with ctb, which was a big plus!)

But then Friday, I flew to Boulder to spend the weekend at Endurance Corner, Gordo Byrn's venture (http://www.coachgordo.com and http://www.gordoworld.com/gblog/index.html). He and his wife invited me out to stay at their house and we did some testing on the bike and I had a private session in the pool with Alan, one of the coaches. It was a crash-course in living the Gordo way and I ate really healthy, only two beers over the entire weekend. I also did two 1-hour hikes to the top of a mountain, which was pretty fun, especially at altitude. The weekend was exactly what I needed and I'm now super motivated, both for training and eating right.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I managed 3 swims and hope to swim 4 times this week. I also got in two core sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/19/08 [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I "finished" Florida 70.3 on crappy training so I consider it to be a very good week..

I am giving myself 10 days of rest, then it will be time to get started training for IMFL.

Hope everyone has great week this time around
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I get about a 'C' for my week :(

Last week's goals...

Do all the workouts scheduled...can skip 1 and only 1 workout this week (unless injury or emergency pops up)
Foul weather and work kinda got in the way and I didn't really follow my schedule that closely.
Grade: D

Practice better portion control...one scoop of ice cream is just as good as 3.
Not bad...the end of the week was the worst
Grade: B

Work hard at the Thursday night club ride...hang w/ the big boys for as long as possible and then just hammer on my own till done. Last week I made it 5.6K w/ the biggun's. This week, I hope for 10K.
DONE! They did an 'easier' ride (for them) so I stayed w/ them for 20K at 33k/h and then I finished the ride on my own and the goal was to keep average speed at 31KM/H and I did :)
Grade: A+

Finish my traning schedule from now till the Peterborough half im. It's almsot done.
Done, just have to follow it:)
Grade: A

THIS WEEK:
There are 5 more sleeps till the Ottawa Half Marathon...I picked my goal 5 months ago and have been working hard. I can do it!
1) Race hard and smart and enjoy the Ottawa Half
GOAL TIME: 1:5X (anything under 2:00 is the goal)

2) Eat healthy from today - Saturday. Have a reward meal on Sunday and then back on track

3) Taper - I've done the work, now it's time to rest up a bit

4) Get mentally ready for the race.

I am eagerly awaiting the race. Forecast is good...23C and Sunny - I would prefer cooler but oh well.

Here's to a great week for all of us :)

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it was a 50/50 week i'd say. good on the training, including a solid 4+hr bike with the last 2hrs being into a 'nice' headwind (how is that for positive thinking LOL) abd only skipped one 45min easy spin.

eating well, not as great - need to stay away from the cookie isle but did eat more veggies than usual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goal is to figure out what my goals are and join this thread in the next week or so! Good job ladies!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my week was for shit for reasons that shall heretofore and everafter remain nameless. ok, dust off your ass, back to work. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got in a 90 minute masters swim this morning :)
I was tired, but not exhausted so that is a good sign with IMLP in 10ish weeks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: 11,500 yards. A+
Bike: 20 mi. F ... rain rain rain ... my rides kept getting rained out.:)
Run: 10 mi. D ... see rain issue above. I'm not a fan of running in pounding thunderstorms.
I managed to get in one hour of weight lifting. For some reason I cannot seem to get motivated to do Pilates at the moment. Not sure what is up with that. Usually I love doing Pilates.
Food. C- Aunt Flow convinced me to eat everything in sight one day. Otherwise I did okay.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/19/08 [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goal: have a good race at Tempe International

Grade: D

Lesson to take away from my weekend... if you train half-assed, you'll have a half-assed race. Oh well, I'll look at it like a long training day.

Goal for this week: get mentally back on track. I'm not training for anything now, been training for a race since Sept of last year... I need a break.

Summer goals: SWIM FOCUS... man I suck, and ride more with my cycling club to become a stronger rider. Also, commute to work as much as possible on my bike. Not easy since I live in Tucson and there are no showers in my office.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an open water swim and managed to draft for part of the way, it was hard work though as the woman in the group who swims my speed can't swim a straight line! Next week I hope to convince my fellow swimmers to mob me in imitation of a crowded swim start so I can work on my swim start psychosis.

I asked my coach about adding bike handling skills to club workouts, we'll see how that turns out.

I skipped my Monday am swim as I was seriously pooped. That's my gimme for the month gone, no more missed workouts until June.

Realized that my diet is totally skewed towards carbs. I was nowhere near my goal of two servings of fruit per day, which is a little shocking as I've always considered myself as having a good diet. From now on I intend to stock the fridge at work with tons of fruit so that I'm covered five days of the week.

Talked myself out of a seriously nasty headspace on Monday afternoon by posting on my blog about my great training days over the long weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm out of town for work, so I've been trying to eat healthy and get in a morning and evening workout...Got the evening ones in, but not this morning...Here is hoping for tomorrow...I've lost one lb of my post-Ironman-gained-back-weight. Next week I start back in my master's swims. I'm getting excited about that...So on a grading system, I guess a C.

sylvia

Vestri sessio est quoque altus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dawn, thanks for your encouragement last week.

I did the same hill intervals this week, and made it up The Big Hill twice this time. Now i know it is not a fluke. That is a 15 - 20 min hil Z5 all the way, 25% grade. I am using the program at Endurance Nation so I am pretty sure this is proof it is helping.

On the down side, I am really struggling with finding a place to do quality long rides (race rehearsal). :-/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply

Prev Next