Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/18/08
Quote | Reply
How'd everyone do last week towards your goals? Brag or confess here.

For me:
  • Got in 3 out of 4 runs. Not great, but my running is feeling good.
  • Amazingly, I actually got on my bike 2 times. One was a 3 hour hard ride. Felt good for the first two hours; last hour was tough, but I finished.

I'm starting to have doubts about being able to finish American Zofingen with so few miles on my bike. Gonna see how I feel over the next couple of weeks.

This week:
  • Three rides
  • Four runs
  • Two sessions of P90X Ab Ripper video

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/18/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>>Track Tu/We/Sat/Sun. Work on nutrition and recovery.<<

Went to the track all 4 days and had a great weekend of racing. Nutrition hasn't been so good.

For this week:

Write out a schedule and stick to it.

Add back running twice this week.

Get back on the nutrition plan.

Track on Tues. and Fri.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been reading this thread since you all started it so I guess I'm going to join in. I look at weeks as Sunday-Saturday so last week

Last week's goal was to start swimming again. I did - got in just under 10k in 4 workouts (unless you count a 600 yd wakeup swim one morning, to shake my shoulders out before the real workout later. Habit of a swimmer who's just used to swimming doubles. Anyway, 4-5 swims, depending on how you count it). Best one was in the OUTDOOR SCM POOL!!!! on Saturday, which has waterslides!!!! Other swimming thing - did my Shoulder Protection Program "lifting" twice.

Other goal last week was running consistently. Done. 43.3 mi in 7 runs. Shortest 1.5 mi, longest 8 mi (two of those). Also, two rowing sessions last week, something I like as XT. 10k total there.

Nutrition... to be completely and awfully honest... I'm still recovering from an eating disorder. I'm on day 9 of not restricting or purging, which is a very happy thing. So my nutrition goals involve only this: eat enough and don't throw any of it up.

Back to happy things: goals for this week are:
-Do the Shoulder Protection Program every other day. This is soooo important in keeping my shoulders healthy. It's little stuff like internal/external rotation with baby weights, some resistance band exercises, and 3 actual lifting things. If I can kayak at all that's bonus points (kayaking is good for shoulder muscles!)
-Try cycling again :P
-Keep running and swimming without getting hurt.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long stuff is doing great -- long run and ride were both solid. Have been spending a lot of time in the pool since swimming is my first choice when my legs are tired.

Nutrition was going good until... my ride Saturday. I just go so HUNGRY. Like, ROAR ... FEED ME!, hungry. So not only did I consume during the ride (75 hilly miles): 3 bottles of G2, 3 individ packages of fat-free fig newtons, 1 Smiley cookie (a local favorite -- 250 calorie sugar cookie), and a package of Pop Tarts (Oh, they were good going down as I sat outside of that convenience store), but then I had two slices of pizza and two huge bowls of cereal later that day. Not too much damage, about a 3300 kcal day total. But then Sunday when I woke up I still felt the ROAR of the hunger beast. Plus I went to masters swim Sun a.m. And that's when things fell apart nutritionally. I woke up 4 pounds heavier this morning. I hope its just salt and bloating from eating like crap. Yesterday I logged about 2800 calories so I know I could not have gained 4 pounds of fat, but I feel weighed down. I need to get on the ball for an 18-mile run planned for first thing tomorrow a.m.

Summary: long distance training in all three sports: A+. Not as many short, intense runs/rides as I'd like. And I need to get this hunger thing figure out asap.

-Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/18/08 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice to see you join in, Tigerchik. Keep up the good work on the nutrition front. I can only imagine how tough it is. Oh, and you didn't tell us how many times you went down the waterslide!! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oh, and you didn't tell us how many times you went down the waterslide!! :)[/quote] more times than I went back and forth in the pool!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first back to back races this weekend. Pretty happy with the results overall.

While the course is pretty hilly, I really enjoy it and doing the double was a lot of fun. Also for comparison for the Oly, while I was 3rd for my 40-44 AG last year, I went 10 minutes faster this year and ended up 5th. The competition was MUCH better this year. In both races, 2 of the top 3 women were in my AG (yes, we rock).

For the first time I am pretty pleased with my swims. Also realize I am a Half/Marathon type runner and can’t run super fast. I am LOVING the bike, though!

Saturday. Luray International, 1500m/25m/10k
Swim: 28:48 (8/23 AG, 58/143 OW (Overall Women)
Bike: 1:22:01 (5/23 AG, 19/143 OW)
Run: 52:53 (7/23 AG, 56/143 OW)
Time: 2:47:57 (5/23 AG, 34/143 OW)

Sunday, Luray Sprint (750m,16.5m/5k)
Swim: 15:07 (12/30 AG, 80/236 OW)
Bike: 56:37 (4/30 AG, 21/236 OW)
Run: 26:31 (7/30 AG, 60/236 OW)
Time: 1:42:02 (6/30 AG, 36/236 OW)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My big goal this week was to get back on the bike, which I did very well with: 3 rides this week for a total of 4.5 hours of riding. My running took a bit of a dip - only two runs this week, but I'm not going to stress about it too much. Still no swimming (BOOO!) so that needs attention. On the whole the eating was not too bad - started a veggie box, so lots of yummy fruits and veggies were consumed over the weekend and now I just need to keep on the ball and keep thinking ahead for what to make for dinner, as that is usually where laziness kicks in and I order take-out as opposed to making something healthy.

Welcome Tigerchik, please keep us posted on your progress. I've been where you are and it's a tough battle, so please reach out when you need some support!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week:
1) Stay positive through the last "huge" volume week before IMWI - Grade B. I missed a workout as I scheduled a massage for the same time as my masters practice and rescheduled a workout but I am officially now in taper.
2) Have fun riding the 200 K of the Dairyland Dare -- Grade B. I tried to stay positive but being on a bike for over 9 hours and being out on a course for over 11 hours is just way to long. I did learn that I never want to ride 200K of hills again. The 100K, 133K maybe even 166K but not 200k. I am proud that I made it up all climbs without having to walk including Roberts Road which is 20% grade.
3) Figure out why my stomach has hurt the last 4 days (likely my bad eating choices) and fix it. -- Grade D. Nothing worked. Eating clean, eating crap - my stomach still hurt. It finally cleared it self up yesterday.

Goals for this week:
1) Stay healthy through week 1 of taper
2) Monitor weight and eating through taper. No weight gain but hopefully weigh loss.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

• Place in our division (2 Person Coed...Wife and I) at the Rogaine (6 hour endruance Orienteering event...)
  • Place in top 33% of teams at Rogaine
  • get 60% or more of points of winning team at Rogaine

D+ Had a rough day with navigation and physically...dehydrated in the deep woods and my wife convinced me to call it a day. We had another hour to find more Checkpoints but I was dizzy and sick...not a good place to be in the middle of the woods so we came in an hour early on the 6 hour event. We got 8 Check Points and the winning team got 16 so despite difficulties we were only 2 Check points away from meeting our goal. We did not stay for results or the award ceremony so I dont know how we did against the other goals but its not likely we met them...
  • get in over 9 hours of training this week...

C...Got in 8:45 for the week...just missed...
  • weigh daily...be under 173 more days than over...

D +...2 under, 4 over hopefully this week will be better...
  • swim once...interval workout....keep speed

F Went to the pool but it was not available for lap swimming....doh!
  • Mt bike once...keep skills and do some speed workout...

B...Got er done...

This week:
  • Im racing an off road triathlon that I havent done before so I have no basis to set goals....but here is my take anyway:
  • Finish in the top 28% of the field.
  • Place in AG
  • have a good time at the off road triathlon and enjoy it...especially the bike...
  • average 164 HR for the event....
  • train 5.5 hours of training....(I have some medical procedures that will get in the way so 5.5 hours would be good....)
  • swim one interval session...
  • Pre ride the mt bike course before the event....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't remember goals from last week specifically, but generally, swim, and do the Timberman sprint.

Did 2 swims, nice overall swims, still no biking, recovering knee stuff. Definitely no running.

Timberman sprint was good overall, felt easy as I did the 1/2 last year and I remember how hard that was for me. Swim was great, I was 15 sec faster than my fastest projected time (!!). Still not fast but fast for me. :-) ALSO it didn't even feel like I was going very hard. Bike was good, not as fast as I hoped, but, I mostly passed a bunch of people and got passed much less. And I felt pretty strong doing it. I looked at my training for past month and realized I biked a lot less than in the past which made me feel better. Run was mostly a walk. :-( Running still hurt my knee but I did a few trot-like jogs.

The one thing I have realized from all this is that I actually really like to run!! I miss it and am hoping I can start in September. Pulled out of NYC marathon and instead hope I can do Philly 1/2.

Also the past few months, and resulting niggly injuries interfering with training, have given me an enforced unexpected rest. I don't need an "off" season since I just had it in a way :-) soooo am looking forward to some good fall/winter training.

This week: I am in a BEAUTIFUL cabin on a lake in New Hampshire... YAY...
swim every day in lake, mon-sat 30-45 min
bike 2 or 3 times on flat or rolling roads, 1 hr -1 hr 30 min (as flat/rolling as you can find around here anyway)
core/stretch 3 times 15 - 25 min
HOT TUB every day
hike once or twice

Congrats to all for what look like good training/life weeks!
Mindy
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/18/08 [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This week: I am in a BEAUTIFUL cabin on a lake in New Hampshire... YAY...

Where in NH? I grew up in Plymouth and spent my honeymoon on Lake Winnipesaukee.

This week:

No weight loss and no weight gain.
Swam across the lake - Yay!
1 one hour run
Fucked up on my diet
Swim Angeled
Made appt. with a run coach for ultra planning
Forgot all about my PT exercies

I'm not even going to set goals this week, I'm too depressed when I don't meet them. :P

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/18/08 [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In answer to where in NH -- just a couple miles away from beautiful Lake Winnepesaukee (sp?)... In a town called Alton Bay. Actually on a lake called Sunset Lake. A bunch of people, some of who did Timberman race, now just swimming, chilling, eating, drinking... nice!

What a great place (NH) to grow up in! at least it seems like that to me, from the outside.. :-)
Quote Reply