Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/11/08
Quote | Reply
Ok, I had another crappy week of training. This is seriously getting to be a problem. I have no excuses. I just didn't get it done.

I did have a fun 11km trail race on Saturday. I woke up with a head cold (thanks to DD1), but decided to do the race anyway. It was beautiful at the start and then at the 1 km mark it started to rain and didn't stop for the rest of the day. I was soaked and the trail was very muddy and slippery. I still had fun and it was a really beautiful course. I just love trail running. It's just so much fun.

So, this week I'm cracking down. Here are my goals for the coming week:
  • four runs
  • two good solid bike rides
  • down 1 lb

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/11/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last Week:
First park of week was recovery...
M-easy run, T-off, W-fun trail run, Th-easy 10 mile bike, F-run (speed work), S-32 mile bike, Su-off

This week is going to be easy as well, because I've got another race on Saturday:
M-swim/run, T-speed or hill intervals bike, W-open water swim/ run drills Th-bike, F-off, S-RACE Su-easy recovery jog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing pretty well, I need to get back into yoga though. And that is the plan this week! The hard training for Kona starts this week, so I'll need the stretching for sure!
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/11/08 [Dollfin04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week was OK. Yesterday I had fun at a tri again, after being in a post IM funk since LP that didn't go so well. I did a local Olympic tri yesterday and PR'ed, my swim was a minute faster than the last time I did that course, the bike was 2 min. slower, and I ran a run PR that I'm really happy about, that run got me to my overall PR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a very good training stretch, then some rest with easy spinning, per the coach we worked with at the camp.

* Attend track camp (3-days) and learn how to swap out the gearing on my bike. {DONE!!!!!!}

* Do Tue/Wed night track races and work on different things. {DONE!}

* Maybe race at elite qualifier on the weekend just for the experience. If not racing, I'll be there working and watching the match sprint tactics closely. {DIDN'T RACE, see above comment. DID VOLUNTEER BOTH DAYS.}

For this week:

Track Tu/We/Sat/Sun. Work on nutrition and recovery. Only 4 weeks until Nationals.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Run 4x (got 1 in already)

• Got in 3 - blech
  • Swim 2x (got 1 in already)

• 1 only
  • Do exercies from PT 3x (got 1 in already)

• Done
  • Adopt my every other day diet - Eat clean every other day. Other days I can have what a I want as long as don't overshoot my calories

• Most OK, had a horrible off day that I'm too embarassed to talk about.
  • Drop 1lb

• Gained 1lb

Next week:
    • Run 4x
    • Swim 2x - Complete 2.25 mile swim across Lake Washington for Puget Sound Blood Bank fundraise
    • Continue every other day diet
    • Swim Angel!
    • Finalize 12 - 18 month ultra planning
    • Do PT exercises 3x
    • Lose 1 f**king pound!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Goals for last week:
    • Get 7 hours of training in this week...could be tough due to ging up to Duluth this weekend to put on Orienteerig event

C+ Got in just under 7 hours...knew it was going to be tough...
    • Put on Fun Orienteering event in Duluth...insure the beginners have a great first experience...

B Everyone seemed to have fun and with a few exceptions I designed and very good course and executed the event well...
    • swim once...keep swim speed for last swim tri in 3 weeks...off road tri...

A Swam twice..one open water...feel like I am maintaining speed...
    • Mt bike once to keep mt bike speed and skills....

A + Mt biked twice and set a season PR on my singletrack loop..
    • weigh daily...more days under 173 than over.....

D+ was under 1 day of 5....hopefully I am set up to get back down next week...

Next Week:
    • Place in our division (2 Person Coed...Wife and I) at the Rogaine (6 hour endruance Orienteering event...)
    • Place in top 33% of teams at Rogaine
    • get 60% or more of points of winning team at Rogaine
    • get in over 9 hours of training this week...
    • weigh daily...be under 173 more days than over...
    • swim once...interval workout....keep speed
    • Mt bike once...keep skills and do some speed workout...

Last edited by: Steve-oH!: Aug 12, 08 6:49
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Last week was the beginning of my taper for IMC

Monday - easy 5.6 mile hill run @ 8:45 pace
    Tuesday - conversational 28 mile bike at ~18 mph
    Wednesday - 1.5 mile swim at a decent clip
    Thursday - 14.4 mile run. Legs felt great but I had major GI issues.
    Friday - 1 mile easy swim just recovering from previous day's run
    Saturday - 65 mile hilly bike at ~19 mph
    Sunday - easy 19 mile ride with my little sis.

I would have liked to have gotten one more short run and one more short swim in but it's all good.

This week my goals are

- Eat as clean as possible
    - Take Zantac every day to try and control my stomach issues
    - Remember that I am in a TAPER
    - Swim x 3
    - Bike x 3
    - Run x 2

my severely neglected blog
    Quote Reply
    Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/11/08 [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    In Reply To:
  • Swim 2x - Complete 2.25 mile swim across Lake Washington for Puget Sound Blood Bank fundraise
  • I'm doing this too! We'll have to say hi. I'll be the one with a huge tattoo on my right arm.

my severely neglected blog
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply

Goals for last week:
    1) Stretch -- stretch after long run and long ride. Plus several additional stretching and foam rolling sessions. -- Didn't do so hot on this one. I got 2 sessions in during the week and after my long run. However, I didn't stretch after the long ride because I had a headache. The excuse for missing the other sessions -- pure laziness.
    2) Refocus on nutrition -- Ask for advice on this board and start eating more balanced. -- Got advice and ate more. But not clean.
    3) Volunteer at a local tri! -- Done!

Goals for this week:
    1) Stay positive through the last "huge" volume week before IMWI
    2) Have fun riding the 200 K of the Dairyland Dare
    3) Figure out why my stomach has hurt the last 4 days (likely my bad eating choices) and fox it.

Have a good week everyone!

Quote Reply
    Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/11/08 [jess!] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I've got an IM tat on my right ankle and a butterfly on my left and my right shoulder. We should be easy to find :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    I finally had my first 20 hour week, and it was fantastic! Loved it all. Highlights:

- Did a whole bunch of swimming, mostly straight 3k's with my H20 iPod that really helps to pass the time.
    - Did a long run and felt good the whole time.
    - Did a century ride and then ran off the bike (just 2 miles, but felt great). Then got up the next a.m. and rode my bike to Masters swim (just 12 miles, but uphill) and still felt great.

So basically, my body seems to be okay with the amount of training I'm doing -- my spirits are up, my weight is down a pound. All systems go.

Right now my husband is sick (head cold) and I just hope I don't catch it!

-S
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    I continue to fail to get biking/swimming in, but I managed to run FIVE times last week - granted four of them were 30 minutes or so, but my goal is frequency so I'll take it. This week I'm getting on the damn bike! At least twice. It is my goal, it is my quest. The eating wasn't great this week, house was full of boxes and we didn't make it to the grocery store so the meals were pretty free-form. Then an evil girl told me about this yummy ice cream place in town, so I had to try it on Saturday (thanks a lot lilpups!)

In an attempt to turn this trend around I signed up for a veggie box, so starting on Thursday there will be organic produce in my house, begging to be eaten! :-)

M

------------------------------------------------------------
    The beatings will continue until morale improves
    Quote Reply
    Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/11/08 [squesen] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Great job! I remember being surprised at how good I felt after my first 20 hour week.

clm

clm
    Nashville, TN
    https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Blech, then better, then blech, then... That sums it up, pretty much.

Last week I was away so missed posting. Basically my knee, which I fell on six weeks ago, still hasn't healed totally or properly b/c I keep thinking it's better, then I do stuff, then it gets worse.. Haven't run in 2 1/2 weeks, biked twice week before last, on last ride jammed the knee while unclipping/stepping on the ground a week ago Sunday so didn't bike at all last week. It certainly isn't tragic, just frustrating in terms of timing. I missed two races in the past month and have no idea how I will do in the sprint I'm doing this Saturday.

Also I was at a Chi Running workshop all last week, COULDN'T RUN at all, but did learn a lot from watching and doing some of the exercises. The one good thing about all this is I've been swimming more. Except last week - only 3 swims, 1/2 hour each.

Oh well. I am looking at this as a giant taper. HA a 2 1/2 week taper for a sprint!

This week I will swim three times, bike a little bit before my race on Saturday, then do my sprint race. Have NO idea how it will go but I'm looking forward a lot to racing!
    Quote Reply