Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 6/16/08
Quote | Reply
Tell us all how you did towards your goals this week. This is the thread to brag or confess about how your week was. If you had a great week, then let us know! If you had a bad week, fess up and tell us what you're going to do to turn it around this coming week.

Here's my week:
  • I caught my daughter's stomach flu on Wednesday so I only ran twice. One of those times was 2 days after the flu. I ran 2 miles and then spent 5 minutes dry heaving on the side of the road. Probably should have given myself another day to recover.
  • I was supposed to do a 12 km trail race on Saturday, but given how my run went on Friday I decided to skip it.
  • I was down another pound last week, but it was probably due to being sick.
  • Decided to give myself the weekend off from running, so I spent most of it in the garden. That was fun! I would spend every day in the garden if I could.

Not a great week, but I'm feeling better and ready to get at it this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 6/16/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to read you got the flu bug!

LAST WEEK'S GOALS
1) Brick workouts - do more runs off bike, even if only 15 mins worth.
Done! Did a great brick last Sunday and ran off my bike another 2 times this week.
Grade: A

2) Ride in the Gats
Not done - instead I did a great ride out to Charleston Lake on Sunday - 103K. Somewhat decent hills but the best part, I did it solo and didn't have a bad moment AT ALL during the ride!
Grade: A+

3) Continue to watch diet and lose 1 lb. So far, I have lost 23 pounds since January :) Suckily, still 15 to go!
Um, yea. Whatever ;) I did 14.5 hours of training from Sunday-Saturday, lost .5 pounds but ate ice cream and other goodies during week. I was more focused on a solid week of training then what I ate (counter productive but it was a good week)
Grade: C

4) OW Swim - the river is only 56. Brrr. Suck it up and swim at the Pit (icky icky things live in the pit)
Done. Swam in the pit - omg, weed heaven. And ladies....please STOP w/ the snake threads. My imagination was in overdrive on friday night!!!!
Grade B - I didn't swim as long as I wanted.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed w/ my week of training. I worked hard, did EVERY workout I scheduled and feel pretty good today!

THIS WEEK'S GOALS:

1) Run workouts - get 2x15k runs in this week

2) Watch that junk food intake!

3) Have fun at the SF tri on Sunday :) First tri of the season :)

4) Enjoy the training - I have 18 hours scheduled. Oy.

Hope everyone is having a great week and keep up the great work!

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a garden is a wonderful thing! would love to see pics sometime, if you're into that.

as for the flu, cripes. stomach flu is the worst! hope you are feeling better. the dry heaves...yikes, it's hard to feel worse than that.

as for me, worked my tail off, moved into space. was starving and sweating the entire weekend. didn't workout, but maybe moving replaced a traditional workout. logged food most days, minus the move days. so backon that today.

i feel like glop today though, off to lunge.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 6/16/08 [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks kitty. I'm feeling much better and I'm actually looking forward to my run today, so that must be a good sign.

I'll post pics of my garden a little later in the summer. We're in the process of removing most of our grass and replacing it with gardens, so right now it's just a big pile of dirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't bike as much as I should have/could have on weekend but I biked 2 30 mile rides, one with 4 mile brick, ran 13 on Sunday, and though didnt hit goal for bike I got in the pool 3x this week.
And...down a pound and a half. Ok I will post it here so I can keep track, down to 138. It's been a struggle to get under 140, and now I think race weight goal of 135 is doable for sure.
What has helped is mixing it up, moving my morning run to the evening seems to keep the snack monsters at bay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about you catching the flu. Glad you are now on the mend!

Last week's goals:

1) Get my nutrition in order -- Joined CalorieKing and spend the week tracking. It was amazing to see how quickly calories can add up. With the exception of 1 meal for Gazelle's birthday dinner, I did a good job staying within my daily goal range. I did have 1 day where I was under quite a bit so I get a better handle on taking enough calories in when i have long workouts. I weigh in on Thurs so last Thurs I was -1.5 lbs. Grade B-

2) Survive the HHH-- Done and done. Overall, I felt I did a good job out there considering I had over 375 miles (not including trainer rides) on my legs over the past 3 weekend leading up to the HHH. I was about 30 minutes slower than I wanted to be for the 69 miles but I didn't walk one hill. I Grade A

3) Have a decent long run the day following the HHH -- This Sunday was my first long run after a hard ride on Sat so I wasn't sure how my legs would feel. Plus it was the last workout after 4 weeks of intense training. I did well. I ran strong and had fun with it. The last 10 minutes my legs started to feel really heavy but I kept running and it was over soon enough. My pace was a bit slow but I ran with no technical aids (HR monitor, garmin) so I could just run by RPE and enjoy the run (which I did). Grade B+

Goals for this week- enjoy my recovery week, volunteer at a tri on Sunday, and have 5 out of 7 days with calories in = calories out.

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 6/16/08 [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Overall a good week. Commuted to work 3/5 days, ran after work 2 days and before work one day. Did the weekly aquathon.

Did an hour spin class followed by a 20 min transition run on Sat. Spin class can sure kick my arse!!

Rode with the bike club on Sunday. Overall for workouts- B

Nutrition: horrible, birthday yesterday which lead to cake and sweets. Main course was a big green salad...

There is a Mexican place that makes the best breakfast burritos, had one last week too.

Overall, meh... could always be better.

Next week's goals:

Ride to work 4/5 days-- I'm doing the main page commuter challenge
Run before work 4/5 days
Aquathon today
Sat long run
Sun long ride and swim practice

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone has been doing a really good job of meeting most of their goals, and what I like about this group is that we all realize we have lofty goals and sometimes it's ok not not meet them, if it means doing something else we enjoy (gardening) or taking care of regular life stuff (sick kids, moving).

I didn't track my goals for a few weeks, but I'm ready to revisit them. I feel like I'm back on track the past 10 days.
1) get back down to 157 by May 28, down to 154 by June 25 and 152 by July 18. See 14--something on the scale by IMWI. Weigh no more than IM weight +5 by Nov. 14.
So far, F. Wednesday is my weigh day, and I'll be surprised to be under 158. But I did buy a pair of six 6 pants this weekend for the first time in my life! Made me realize that I can still be getting slimmer without the numbers on the scale going down. I still think 9 more pounds in the 12 weeks until IMWI is realistic, but it's going to be tough.

2) Get my long run in every week, and do at least one speed workout.
Did my long run in the thunderstorms at 8:30 Saturday night even though I didn't want to. Also did a 35-minute speed workout and a 40-minute Tempo run. A+!

3) Get in the water! I've been skipping a lot of swimming, so I will swim at least two hours per week, hopefully three.
Swam twice for 90 minutes total - I think this is one of only a few weeks that I made my swim goals since October! A

4) More time on the bike. I will ride my bike at least 3 times per week for a total of at least 5 hours.
Only rode twice for 3.5 hours total. But it was a recovery week, so I'm ok with that. Should have done another half hour on the long ride. C

5) Continue weight training. Two times per week for 30-45 minutes each time.
Once for 30 minutes. C

6) Clean up my diet.
Diet was really good this week. Ate fruit for snacks instead of sweets - went out for a margarita one night and stopped after one, and restricted myself to one human-sized portion of chips and salsa. Even swam later that night. Had a few beers grilling out over the weekend, but a girl needs her carbs :)
B

Overall, I'd give myself a B for the week. I need to keep the good momentum going into this week - schoolwork is starting to ramp up so I need to make sure get the workouts in.
My brother has inspired me - he was always the king of fast food and not working out, but he told me this week that he bought a bike and has been either riding that or jogging on a treadmill 30 minutes a day before work, and he started logging on fitday (after he and I talked about my success with it last year). In the past 6 weeks, he's quit eating fast food and lost 13 pounds! I immediately logged on to fitday and have done a good job logging my food this week - I must continue until IMWI to make sure I'm getting enough but not too many calories.
Last edited by: td: Jun 16, 08 9:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll go...so good some not as good.

I have been making progress on losing my Post IM weight, down 3.2 pounds as of this morning!

On the training side, I haven't done well. I am having chronic neck pain which has nixed swimming except for kicking and breast stroke. I also have pulled a calf muscle so running has been out of the question since Wednesday. All of the above is improving rapidly so I should be back on track by next week. Before calf pull, I got in two good bricks last week. I have managed to do some cycling for short periods.

Already looking forward to next week.

Sylvia

Vestri sessio est quoque altus!
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 6/16/08 [trisyzyl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only missed 1 workout, a week ago Monday's 40 min. recovery run.
Surprised I wasn't destroyed after Sat.'s long bike ride (93) and Sunday's long run (15.5).
Got in 5k yards in the lake, open water, and another 3k in the outdoor long course pool.
Asked boss to take this coming Thurs. off because of another big workout that is just too tough to do after working all day.
He said OK if I get all my other work done, and my fill in work for my co-worker who's on vacation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh...last week was miserable. But at least I got most of my 10 days of no S/B/R done! I did swim and ride some, only because I can't hike or surf due to my sprained ankle! But then I got sick and was miserable, and when I'm miserable pizza makes me happy, so I ate a lot of pizza.

I'm still a little sick, and my ankle is still very sprained (the 30 min run yesterday wasn't smart, but it made me feel sooooo much better mentally).

3 weeks till Lake Stevens, so time to really get my diet/nutrition in gear.

Did pretty good stretching until I got sick. Didn't make it to Yoga since I was sick/injured. Hope to be able to go this Wednesday eve (as long as the ankle is a little better).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big training week for me. With IMLP now just 5 weeks out I rode 110 miles on Saturday and ran 14 miles on Sunday. I am a bit sore, but feel pretty good overall. Next weekend is the last really big training weekend.
This is my second IM so I am not freaked out at all at this point like was before Kona last October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finished the Bay Swim but did not make my goal of under 3 hours. I was sad for the first part of the week about it but I moved on. I had a shitty swim -- I struggled with the currents and I got kicked really hard (still have bruises 8 days later) and almost dropped out.

I had a major freak out on Tuesday when I decided I hated my bike of 3 years. HATED it. I abandoned on a group ride, came home, and decided to buy a new bike. So Wednesday I went to the store and got a Madone. I sold my tri bike and I sold that miserable f-ing Adamo saddle. Bye bye old bike, bye bye new saddle, hello Madone.

The steady stream of thunderstorms that are keeping me off my bike are actually keeping me off the bike right now as I type this. So my training last week was crappy. A few runs, a few short rides, a little over 7 hours total last week. Blah.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 6/16/08 [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy late Birthday. You are supposed to eat cake on your birthday. I'm wondering if you could help me with something. What is an aquathon? I'm guessing it's a swim/run? Is it wrong to call a swim/run a duathlon? We have a triathlon where i live and recently added what we call a duathlon. I think we are using the wrong term? Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh geeze...not a great week.

a) clean up my diet - well, not too horrible, but still not eating great. i need to eat more veggies!

b) have a good attitude when i head out for my 140k ride on my own, on duct taped tires (no idea if the new ones on order will get here on time) - ok, now i didn't start out with a good attitude. in fact i think the blue streak i was cursing up the first 45 mins of my ride could be seen from space. but i did tell listen when i told my self go get over it and get the ride done. in fact, i beat the hubby home as he blew about 10k from home. :)

c) not miss any workouts (this is a given until after Sept. 7) - only missed a swim and only because of mother nature. 2 days of am t-storms.

this week is a recovery week and i really need to deal with the food issues. i can't lose this 5lbs and i can't just blame it on aging.
not planning on missing a workout and i promise to clean my bike.

have a good week ladies
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race Tue/Wed on the track. CHECK

Finish 1/2 IM on Sunday. No time expectations since I've not done the run training and haven't swam much either. NO. ONLY DID THE SWIM AND BIKE.

For this week: Get back on the good nutrition track. Too much eating out last week. Race one night on the track. Weekend will be spent at the track volunteering for a big meet but I'm taking my bike and maybe will get a little riding time in.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 6/16/08 [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the new id!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This week was a little hectic/discombobulated for me.

Goals:

Get the rest of the workouts on the training plan done: Did the best I could and managed to get at least one decent S/B/R workout in each day. I took Saturday off and pushed my long ride back so I could do an Oly race on Sunday. C

Beat last year's pathetic Oly time: Done and done. I PR'd the race by 30 minutes! A+

Be better about planning ahead for healthy lunches/dinners: pretty good with this, only had one unexpected late shift where I had to grab a burrito, but otherwise made dinner at home with extra amount planned as lunches. B+

This week is a recovery week, so my goal is to do more stretching/rolling of the tight muscles and keep focusing on eating better. Lake Stevens in three weeks!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Love the new id!

Thanks! I had a revelation at about mile 30 on Sunday. ;-)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dawn

Glad that your starting to feel better. I wish I loved Gardening as much as you do. I love the look of nice gardens but can't say that I love to garden, maybe one day

When I read the "How'd you do?" thread the first thing I thought about was "I don't know if I want to tell them" But here goes....

I tried my first tri this past weekend. The reason for my name on this messge board Tri-it was because I had been training for a tri but had not done one yet. Well, my first tri went AWEFULL!!!! I was so nervous at the start of the swim that I started to Hyperventilate, dry heave and had a panic attack. Being such a new swimmer, I was'nt prepared for windy conditions. I had always done my open water swims in nice calm waters. Needless to say, I didn't finish my first tri. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't finish the swim. I couldn't seem to gain enough composure to calm myself and finish. The funny thing is about 2 hours post race when everyone had finished, I went out and swam the whole course with no problems. I will be going on-line to find another race that I can particpate in and hopefully get some more practice in the openwater and try to put this one behind me.

Sorry didn't have any good news to report this time, but I hope maybe some of you have some wise words of wisdom to help me through the next one.

Tri-it
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 6/16/08 [tri-it] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear you had such a hard time. Don't worry about it. Many of us have had similar experiences. I had a panic attack in the water in my first tri too. Luckily, I was able to calm down and finish. Not sure I would have if it had been windy and wavy, but I was swimming in a man-made pond that was teeny tiny.

Just get another race on your schedule and start working towards it. You'll be fine in your next one. All of the bad luck is out of your system now.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 6/16/08 [tri-it] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about having an awful first race. My first race was a nightmare and I ended up bailing out of the swim FIVE minutes after it started I was so panic-stricken and bawling on the side of the beach. That was five years and I don't even know how many races ago. In some ways I'm grateful for that race, it made me get a wetsuit and practice in the open water that scared me so badly. Now, I can look back and be so proud of how far I've come since then (I actually LIKE swimming in open water now, to the point that I look forward to it... ) Plus enough time has past that I can laugh at all of the mistakes I made.

Definitely get back in the water and practice. Next race you'll kick butt!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A short one here, I'm away from my home and regular computer, also a late one...

If I can even remember, last week, oh yes. I did all the workouts in the schedule. But had to switch things around as I missed my team's early morning bikeride due to some silly logistical problems. However I rode at 5:30 am another day.

Did only 2 stretch and 1 core! YIKES. This week will do more, enlisted a friend to my be "accountability buddy" for this. Will help. Need to stretch more. I keep saying that.

Also did my first race of the year, a sprint tri, I did EXACTLY what I had hoped I would do time-wise and effort wise. Yay! Also realized I maybe could have even gone a little harder/faster. Well that is what happens when you race, you learn things.

This week, already here, again do all workouts and stretch/core.

thanks!
Mindy
Quote Reply