Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 10/27/08
Quote | Reply
How'd you do this week? Tell us the good and the bad:

Me:
- I had a pretty good week considering it's off-season and I usually sit on my butt and do nothing for 2 months. I did 4 out of 6 of the P90X workouts. Missed the other 2 solely due to bad scheduling. :(
- No running last week. Gotta change that this week.
- Up 3 lbs, but I'm pretty sure it's just due to water gain
- Both daughters were in a basketball tournament on Saturday. Oldest came in 2nd out of 10 teams in Under-14; youngest came in 3rd out of 12 teams in Under-12 (I'm the coach of that team). Pretty good seasons, IMO.

Next week:
- At least 5 P90X workouts
- At least 3 runs
- Bonus would be 1 trainer workout

By the way, the P90X workouts are intense. I haven't been that sore in a long, long time.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 10/27/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goals last week - one was to do abs every other day. I did them once and then kind of forgot. Will re-make that goal for this week - along those lines too, do my shoulder baby weights every other day. I need to keep up with that so I don't get hurt from lots of swimming again.

Totals:
38.6 mi run + 75 min water run
5:45 cycling
29,700 yds swimming with some REALLY good workouts.

Also, I won 2 races last week. A sprint tri on Sunday, and a 5k on Saturday. The 5k win was a complete surprise - I was using it as a brick run after a medium long ride. The best part about that was my run split from the sprint was 23:37, really slow for me - but the 5k time was 21:13, after 1:45 on the bike. YEAH.

Nutrition wise, managed to stay at 118 lbs for 2 weeks now which is a happy thing. And I tried some new foods... still trying to branch out on this... a quesedilla, a veggie burger (dinner out, which is a huge challenge for me), carnation instant breakfast (these are good! it's like free extra calories if I'm having milk anyway!) and dried apricots. Oh, and potatoes with the white part too, not just the skin (I kind of have a fear of starchy carbs, is ridiculous, trying to get over it). I think the thing I am fighting most right now is more orthorexia - freaking out if what I eat is unhealthy (ie, like being all upset over a bowl of cereal yesterday, because it had HFCS in it.) I need to stay right where I am weight-wise and keep branching out with variety of foods.

This week:
Swim meet Saturday. Reach goal is <5:50 in the 500. If I do not break 6:00, I will probably try and drown myself. Anything between those two times is "eh." And 200 IM, <2:40.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a P90X workout?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week: Get back to training.

Not very specific last week, but that was the main jist of it. And, I did. A +3 hour base-training ride Saturday. It mentally killed me to stay in the small chain ring the whole day, but I did it.

This week:
* Write out training plan today.
* Train every day.
* Try out the early morning indoor bike training session. I used to go to the evening session last year and the bikes have power meters and it's a good session. I'm going Tuesday AM to try the 6:15 AM session.
* Cyclcross race on Sunday.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals last week:

Who knows?!?! It was an epic week, though:
-turned in written portion of qualifying exam
-passed out in the high containment lab
-spent 2.5 hours at the doc on wednesday
-started feeling sick saturday morning, was in the ER by saturday night for possible appendicitis

Goals for this week:
-make it a good week!!!
-start lifting and working out when I'm feeling up to it.
-keep up eating right ...I'm at like 5 weeks and counting :-)

So far I'm doing well on making it a good week. I took today off (still not feeling 100%), and so far I have watched 2.5 movies, done my nails, and played with my doggies :-) Also, I got more photos published ...go to http://www.powerbar.com and scroll down. They used my photos for the Team Elite banner as well as the banner on the Team Elite page (both are of my boy-toy)!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 10/27/08 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a sh*tload of swimming, TC! Almost 17 miles. Way to go!

my week...

Switched amoxicillian for cipro. I think the cipro is actually working to fight this wicked illness that is starting its third week of hating on me.

Did some spinning on the trainer before sending my bike off to tribike transport. See you in FL, bike!

Swam with my master's team and moved to lane 3 (from 2). Was able to keep up and still get about 10 sec rest on the hard intervals during the main set of the workout. Did 4,000+ yds. Good stuff.

Short runs with my dog (about 5k) but they have been pretty quick (by my standards).

Worked on my mental game for IMFL.

Tune in next week... that's when it hits the fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well... my week... the good, I am almost I HOPE THINK over my cold, the bad, I dd very little of anything. Well I guess that is "good" considering all the rest is making me better. The rest was good, I mean. The cold was bad.

Whatever!

I ran twice. That's it, but, at least they were decent runs. One was a lot of hills, the other was a 5-mile race, I was very slow but it's the LONGEST I've run in months YAY and I even ran through the water stations!

Eating was all over the place, I gained 2.5 pounds, but, again, all is okay.

This week I am hoping for 2-3 swims, runs, bikes, depending on how I feel. At least one of each is a definite. Plus I have a new strength/core workout that should take about 20 minutes, mostly body weight stuff, want to do it 3 times.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 10/27/08 [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay for your race / longest run!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Isn't it crazy how it's so much easier, sometimes, to focus on the negative instead of the positive? (as in, Oh I was slow, or, Oh I haven't run that much in months...) BUT it was great to do!!

Made me think of the emotions while racing thread you started. SO interesting!

And CONGRATS on your wins!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a P90X workout?

P90X is a series of exercise videos that combines strength training, yoga, plyometrics and core conditioning. The idea is that you workout 6 days a week for 90 days and the workouts will transform you. The changes in some people that I've seen on their website are pretty amazing. The workouts are well thought-out and balanced. I thought it would be a good off-season strength and flexibility program for me. Here's the website:

http://www.beachbody.com/...x.do?code=P90XDOTCOM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week:
1) 2 strenght or core sessions--- Fail! I didn't even make one. I missed yoga on Tuesday am as I just didn't want to get out of bed and never found the time for any others.
2) Have fun and finish my first trail half mary on Saturday-- Done! And it was a blast. I have decided that all running should be done on trails. It keeps you thinking and the run just flies by. My plan for this run was to just enjoy the day since I have only managed about 3 runs since Wisconsin and the longest of those was 6 miles. I did just that. Started out really easy, walking any of the steep hills, and just enjoying my time in the woods. At mile 9, I decided I felt quite good and picked up the pace. Managed to pass a few folks in the last miles. The event has inspired me to find another trail run soon. I know I promised myself that I woudn't run a winter marathon but it might happen. Well my promise to myself may stand as the race I am looking at is actually a 50K. I am going to try a few long runs in Novemeber and make the deicsion based on how those go. And as an added benefit of the trail half- I got to meet Steve-Oh!
3) Don't get lost in the woods in my first orienteering meet on Sunda-- Completed! The course we did was super easy so I am planning on heading back this Sunday and tackle the next level course (orange).

Goals for this week:
1) At least 1 strenght session
2) Refocus on nutrition!

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 10/27/08 [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Late again but here goes...

Last weeks goals:

1) Have fun on my trail half marathon on Saturday...no time goal...I am not in great running shape...just want to have fun with my wife and the couple we are going with to the event...have fun in Madison afterwards..

I agree with Instigator, I had a good time...ran a decent pace and enjoyed the new scenery. They advertised the trail as singletrack but it actually almost 100% ski trail and was not overly technical but with the hills, and my lack of run training my legs were trashed after the event...but I had a smile after the race......ran a 2:19 and my wife beat me by 6 minutes. She likes more singletrack courses but we really enjoyed running in a new place...We do at least 60% of our running on trails these days and have access to singletrack right out our door....

Met Instigator around the heater before the start of the race and had a fun chat before the race started...so that added to the cool race atmosphere....

We had fun on State Street that night in Madison and enjoyed out mini trip...

2) Get in 7 hours of training.

Got in just over 5....I am a little shy of what I need to do these days....

3) Buy a stretch cord for strength workouts.

done...need to start using these twice a week....especially to develop arm/shoulder/core strength for norcdic skiing...

4) get weight to 173 by weeks end...

failed miserably here....was 176 by weeks end....its mini diet time!

Goals this week:

1) Do 1 stretch cord workout
2) get in over 7 hours of training
3) diet back to 173 by weeks end
4) Have a good performance at the Night Orienteering event Saturday night. Avoid any major misses on the controls on the Advanced course. I have a hard time reading the map at night and this adds to the difficulty of navigating at night. If me and my wife can go at it steady, and take safer routes, we should be able to do well....
Last edited by: Steve-oH!: Oct 29, 08 5:51
Quote Reply