Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: We need your help to improve our women sizes. Incentive included. [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would you be surprised to know that the pad already does that?

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: We need your help to improve our women sizes. Incentive included. [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I would, since it does not look like it in the pics on your website. But who knows, once I get my discount coupon maybe I'll find out for myself--that is, if I can find a pair that fits since I'm not a twiggy supermodel. ;-)

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: We need your help to improve our women sizes. Incentive included. [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First let me say that I do not own any DeSoto tri clothing...it just flat out does not fit me as well as some other manufacturers. However, I would have to agree 110% on the tri short chamois issue. More padding up front and a lot less in back! I can ride my road and tri bike with no padding when I'm actually sitting on my sitz bones but when I rotate my pelvis to ride the tri bike in the aero position I am essentially laying on soft tissue and a little bone.

Also, I am not a fan of low rider shorts. They just don't work for my body type. I am 5' 2", 115# but I have hips (high hips)...and a waist. A lot of manufacturers are getting away from shorts that actually sit at your waist.... :-(

Along those same lines, having hips and a waist, I can never wear "tri tops" because they are never tapered to flare out at the waist to accommodate hips, thus causing them to ride up/bunch up at the waist.

I wish I were built like a stick model but I'm not. I'm just you're average (albeit a bit short) athletic woman.
Last edited by: Paula: May 25, 11 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: We need your help to improve our women sizes. Incentive included. [Paula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for this input. This sort of information is the reason for my original post. Without knowing when it was that you last tried on De Soto products, but I would bet that perhaps the store where you tried them on did not have a complete selection of all the shorts and tops we make. We have trishorts that come way above the waist, and we have tri tops that accomodate hips.

As I replied above, we do make trishorts with padding high in front to offer padding, but not so high that it looks like you have a.....um, and I am using this term only because another woman on the forum used it.....like you have a dong. No matter how comfy, my research has showed me that no woman would buy a tri short if it did look like that when they wear it.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Re: We need your help to improve our women sizes. Incentive included. [Paula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Paula,
It sounds as if we're built similarly--and I too am not a fan of the below waist shorts. I will say that the old DeSoto Forza top (the one without the support bra built in) does have a nice flair to it (narrower in the waist than the hips) and is a little longer than most tri tops. It has worked out well for me, particularly for (cold) Fall and early Spring races where I wear just a sport bra underneath the wetsuit, and then want to put a dry top on in T1.

Quote Reply
Re: We need your help to improve our women sizes. Incentive included. [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct in thinking that I did not have a good selection of DeSoto tri clothing to try on. I may just have to order some online and give it another tri ;-)

Edit:: Just ordered the Forza Long Distance Tri Short...
Last edited by: Paula: May 25, 11 9:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never owned or tried on DeSoto clothing - but I have the exact opposite problem everyone else seems to have with curves and women's clothing - in that I don't have "enough" hips and boobs. Every single time I've tried to wear women's specific fitted athletic tops, they're way to tight across the shoulders, and just flare out at the waist/hips and look ridiculous. And the shorts are always baggy at the hips and waist but then tight around my thighs. I pretty consistently stick to men's XS and S now since the cut ends up longer, more fitted and more flattering (I possibly also get mistaken for a short man on the bike though, so I have to compensate with girly socks and hot pink sunglasses...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
Thank you so much for this input. This sort of information is the reason for my original post. Without knowing when it was that you last tried on De Soto products, but I would bet that perhaps the store where you tried them on did not have a complete selection of all the shorts and tops we make. We have trishorts that come way above the waist, and we have tri tops that accomodate hips.

As I replied above, we do make trishorts with padding high in front to offer padding, but not so high that it looks like you have a.....um, and I am using this term only because another woman on the forum used it.....like you have a dong. No matter how comfy, my research has showed me that no woman would buy a tri short if it did look like that when they wear it.
Oh shucks, I am laughing. Ladies and Emilio, I have to admit that I love the padding and find it to be the best on the market. It is small, fitting and comfortable unlike the diaper-like thick padding used in Shebeest bottoms. Depending on the weather, I wear DeSoto shorts for my commute then throw on a skirt and forget I am wearing shorts. Because I have big thighs and some back action, I am rather small in the crotch area and this causes the dong-like bunching. I checked out some of the links sent and as much as I like the Carrera tri tank, I think by adding another inch would make it a lot more flattering on the female shape since many tops ride up in the back. Also, a hideaway drawstring in the Carrera tri capri would be an added bonus for women like myself who, while running have had to pull up the back. Lastly, please make liners and padding in black because I do not like to see colors gone dingy or left over trash in the pants.

Quote | Reply
Paula wrote:
Along those same lines, having hips and a waist, I can never wear "tri tops" because they are never tapered to flare out at the waist to accommodate hips, thus causing them to ride up/bunch up at the waist.

Yes! Me too. I was looking at the Forza line and there is a long tri top that I am very curious to try. It appears to taper and I am wondering if it would stay put...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: We need your help to improve our women sizes. Incentive included. [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carrera Full Top will be 3 inches longer in 2012.

The Carrera Tri Capri does have a drawcord already!

All pads are black this year, and all run short liners will be black starting in July of this year.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you want my sizes, UGH!

Height - 5'2"
Weight - 112.6 lbs
Bust - 35.5"
Waist - 25.5"
Hips - 36"

De Soto Bottom - 400 Mile Short, size small
De Soto T1 wet suit top - size 1
De Soto T1 wet suit bottom - size 2

I hope this helps. By now, you have already heard from two others on this thread who are about my size.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Yes, I would, since it does not look like it in the pics on your website. But who knows, once I get my discount coupon maybe I'll find out for myself--that is, if I can find a pair that fits since I'm not a twiggy supermodel. ;-)

I own the 400 Mile Shorts with the same pad as the Forza. It worked well for me on my 138-mile bike leg of the May 14 Leadman Triathlon.

When I bought the size small, I weighed closer to 130 lbs (at 5'2") and what I really liked was that the leg was very forgiving. It didn't make my inner thighs 'pooch out' and make my legs look deformed. The compression on the fabric is uniform from end to end and gives a flattering profile, regardless of leg size.

I will use my coupon to buy the Forza shorts and see how they compare in comfort to the 400-mile shorts I already own and love.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: We need your help to improve our women sizes. Incentive included. [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks SSP. That's good to know.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ladies,

First of all, thanks for participating. The survey is now over, though you are always welcome to send me your input.

If you contacted me by email or by private message, you should have received a reply from me with a discount coupon code. If you did not, please email me. Again, I only offered the code to those who emailed me or sent me a private message.

Thank you so very much for responding to my post about women's sizing. We are trying to provide the best possible product along with the best service. Part of both is making sure our sizing remains accurate. I may have responded to your submission with particular questions or concerns already, but if I have not done so, I certainly will try in the upcoming weeks.

We received responses with measurements from over 250 women from all over the world who volunteered their sizes and measurements to us after purchasing our products. We eliminated extreme exceptions and focused on where the largest majority of women fell into our existing sizes. This is our first and immediate step to improving your satisfaction with our garments. In the seasons to come, we will be adjusting the sizes of our garments to more accurately represent the measurements of the women who now compete in triathlon.

It is our goal to do a number of things with your information:

1. Make our current size chart more accurately fit customers to our current 2011 collection (the new size chart is available if by emailing me, and it will be up on our site before friday June 3, 2011.

2. Help educate women how to properly measure and size themselves, how to properly wear triathlon apparel, and in particular, De Soto women's apparel.

3. Adjust the sizes of the garments in our future collections, as well as our size chart, to more accurately represent the measurements of the women who now compete in triathlon,

4. Finally, while we want to be able to sell our product to all women, we need to be realistic in knowing that we cannot please everybody.

5. Keep it completely confidential and never share it in any way.

Again, thanks so much!

Emilio De Soto II
Last edited by: Emilio: May 31, 11 14:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't currently own any DeSoto but have looked to buy quite a lot.... but I can't try on and live outside CONUS so will have to wait til the summer when I'm in the US!! I'm making do with really old and crappy 2xu stuff and other kit I have lying around. I find their kit lasts about a summer then shrinks even on cold wash, or looses form/colour/elasticity.

Here is what I don't like about 2XU, TYR and any other tri brand I've tried (but still live with for now!)

Tops - ALWAYS too short. And always baggy around the waist. Often end up buying a size smaller to get required support (A Cup) or fit round the waist and then find it's short or too tight round the biceps or cuts in under my arms. Long tops with fitted waists and also a longer back would be ace.

Shorts - LOVE DeSoto wide bands!!!! All other shorts have tiny elastic waist band : uncomfortable, cuts in to flesh (regardless of how skinny you are). But the next size up is always too big? Legs always made for stick insects who don't have muscle and the bands always cut in (I'm a size US size 6).

Colour - Only ever seem to get black OR white OR pink. And always a horrid pink. I'd love to see more split colour e.g. black with a colour piped in e.g. white, red or blue. Blue and black, red and white/red and black. Black and pink.
Quote Reply
Re: We need your help to improve our women sizes. Incentive included. [chezchapstick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing that has kept me from trying DeSoto is that I have literally NO WHERE to try these products on locally. I would have to drive 2 hours to do so. I don't mind ordering something and returning but it can get to be a hassle.

I am tall (5'9") and end up buying men's tops to be long enough to cover my torso.
Emilio, I will post my measurements and maybe you can give me some direction as to what might work best...or send me the size chart and I will figure it out from there....I am a mom of 3 and I don't want to mortify my children when I race :)

Chest: 33
Waist: 25.5
Hip: 37.5

I have a butt, I have hips. I have a strong desire to NOT wear 2 bras to swim/bike/run in, so a compression top that would be sufficient to not ruin what chest I do have would be super. That, and I don't really love the idea that every race picture would have nippage in them.

As far as colors go...white? seriously? Anything that won't cause me to look like Bo Derek's tata's in "10" would be super.
Thank you so much for taking time out to find out what female racers want. Your customer focus alone is what will cause me to buy your product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paula wrote:
You are correct in thinking that I did not have a good selection of DeSoto tri clothing to try on. I may just have to order some online and give it another tri ;-)

Edit:: Just ordered the Forza Long Distance Tri Short...

So, now my question....how tight are these supposed to fit? I can get them on but the (non) band at the bottom of the leg is just about stretched to it's max. It's not uncomfortable but there isn't really much stretch left to give. The upper hip/waist area fits similarly.

Also, it seems that the seams where the legs connect to the crotch area are a bit rough feeling from being stretched almost to their max. Will this cause any irritation when riding since this is the place where the leg/crotch line hit the saddle? Should I keep these shorts or try a bigger size?

I assume that "new" these shorts are the tightest they will be during their lifetime. I suspect that even after a few wearings I might notice a bit of relaxation? Yes or no?

Thanks for any help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as i always say, the tightest any of our product will ever feel is the first time you try them on! so yes, give them a chance!

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
as i always say, the tightest any of our product will ever feel is the first time you try them on! so yes, give them a chance!

That's what she said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When are you coming out with a good purple color?
Quote Reply
Re: We need your help to improve our women sizes. Incentive included. [IronMandie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We will have a really nice green with a print, and a turquoise with a print in 2012. As for purple, we will see. I love many hues of purple.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been on this forum for two weeks, and look what happens. I miss my chance for a coupon for DeSoto!

Here are my measurements. I am giving them to you because they are not the same as the others, being a middle aged woman. Middle aged women are a fast growing triathlon group and not like the models in your advertisements (six footers size zero, as another poster pointed out). I do take a size 0 or size 2 dress size, but I'm short. My waist is big and my hips are small as I have had two children and I have some extra skin around my waist but an athletic build with huge shoulders and I struggle to get tops on over my shoulders.

Height - 5'3
Weight - 122 lb
Chest - 33.5
Waist - 29
Hips - 35

I usually take a small for just about every line out there. The other reason why I am writing is to second the request for the 400 mile bib shorts, women specific. It solves the problem of back and tummy exposure and high/low waists, and offers a flattering silhouette to everyone.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: We need your help to improve our women sizes. Incentive included. [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Karen,

shoot me an email and i will send you the code, even though the survey ended.

as for women's 400 mile bib shorts, you are only the second woman who has requested them.....ever. other companies have offered them, none have ever done well with them. If you have a tummy and low back exposure issue, you might just like these Forza Long Distance Tri Shorts.

The waistband folds up as high as over your belly button or as low as you dare to wear them.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a cyclist, I only like bibs......

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: We need your help to improve our women sizes. Incentive included. [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And what brand(s) of women's bibs really have it going on?

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply

Prev Next