Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Was this all a lot more 'fun' when you were slower/just starting out?
Quote | Reply
I don't know...but I have been thinking lately, during my last couple of running races this year, and my last tri in the summer, during the race I thought: this isnt as 'fun' as it used to be.
It wasn't as 'fun' as I got a lot faster. I mean a LOT faster and I went from just finishing a marathon to qualifying for Boston, from BOP in tris to placing in AG or overall. I am not bragging at ALL I am just saying, that as I got faster, I stopped chatting with the volunteers and other runners and started obsessing over my splits at certain points in the race, feeling like hell as its harder to go faster, etc. Then I think, damn I wish I had started this years ago maybe I could have been better, instead of Ms Average Age Grouper, and before I used to NEVER look at ages on the calf and now I do and ...well it was so much more fun when I was doing it: to finish. It is still fun, but its different somehow. I thinkI might put too much pressure on myself but really, who CARES how you place? its not the Olympics. Still, I do enjoy the challenge of pushing myself farther than I thought I could go. But sometimes I want to be the 'yeah I am just running and having a good time' person again. Ok it IS fun when you do well but I used to have more fun when I was high fiving everyone and just being a goof instead of worrying about mile splits. Anyone else relate?
Quote Reply
Re: Was this all a lot more 'fun' when you were slower/just starting out? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a lot faster than when first starting but find triathlon to be just as much fun as it ever was. The secret has been to not take it or myself so seriously. The day triathlon ceases to be fun is the day I quit and find something else.

Just go out and do the races and not worry about where you place or PB. If you AG win, podium or PB that's nice but if you don't that's nice also. It's not like you're making your living from this or triathlon will make you rich or famous. Triathlon is only a hobby. I've seen people get burn out and suddenly quit triathlon once they get to overly regimented in their training and too obsessive as to how the will do in the races.

It's not fun any more because you're not letting it be fun. You've got to relax and smell the roses once in awhile.
Quote Reply
Re: Was this all a lot more 'fun' when you were slower/just starting out? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the fun factor has to do with one's expectations and how seriously you take them. My first 3 seasons of triathlon were alot of fun because I really had very low expectations. I was just overjoyed to survive the swim, dismount my bike at T2 without wiping out, and drink Gatorade without choking on the run. As I got faster and the training became more regimented, the expectations definitely changed and I took it all WAY too seriously. When I finished my first IM, I should've been so incredibly happy to first get to the start line and cross the finish line injury-free. Instead, I was disappointed about my bike split and run time.
Cerveloguy's right: Triathlon isn't my job. My self-esteem and worth isn't tied to my bike/run split or AG wins. However, I can't deny that while it's fun to swim/bike/run, it's also very rewarding and fun to see improvement in my performance. I think as long as enjoyment is greater than how serious I take performance triathlon will remain fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Was this all a lot more 'fun' when you were slower/just starting out? [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's my ironman goal this year. To have a 'great experience' and hopefully a faster race too, but even if I don't go any faster, I will consider it a big "win" if I have more fun with it.
My first IM was IMWI 06. The wind, the rain, the cold. I was miserable from start to finish.
I took the 07 race season to have one half im I really focused on, but then all my other races were just fun little sprint races. And I did, I had a blast. I also have gotten a good deal faster, mostly on my run, and I've been able to manage to remain having fun on the run even though I'm going faster. I still take time to high five my friends in the race, or whack them on the butt as I ride by, etc. I make sure I take the time before the race to talk to my friends about how fun this all is and what a great day... and afterwards to enjoy the post race food regardless of my performance, or go get some Dairy Queen!
Shoot, I got an age group 3rd place and ran pretty good splits even though I waved to a spectating friend, and high fived about 3 friends (out and back run course)! Then I hung out near the finish to cheer on the rest of my buddies!

So yeah, for 08 I have two main goals: finish IMLP more MOP than BOP, and ENJOY the experience!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, it's much more fun now.

17 years since my first, wetsuit free flail-fest and still going strong!

Would be happy to elaborate, but I'd be too wordy and probably bore everyone. But I did wish to present that counterpoint, in case my enthusiasm might be contageous. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should pick a race and give yourself some rules - thank every volunteer, make at least three friends on the run, no peeking at leg age markings..

I have to agree with the others I'm having more fun as I get better. I have never, ever talked to so many new people as I did on the bike and run in IM last year, or laughed at myself or with those around me so much, and the time still improved some. I took some guff from my coach for what I could have done had I shut up and pushed, but then it wouldn't have been fun.. and if you don't love it, what's the point?

Another option, if it's getting less fun, is to take a season off. You could do a season of your weakness, which for me would be swimming, and do meets/crits/road running so that it was new again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great topic. I definitely know what you mean, I have had the same experience. After the excitement and fun of the first few races, I began to take every single race way too seriously and eventually got burnt out. However, I think I'm finally coming around. After a particularly fast (for me) and NOT fun PR marathon last fall, I realized I need to change my perspective or my running/triathlon life is going to come to an end soon. This time around, I'm taking my marathon training a lot more lightly and enjoying myself. I cut back my mileage and have skipped a couple hard workouts just because I didn't feel like pushing myself that day. Turns out, I'm faster than ever AND having fun!

Another tactic I'm using is to try new things-

I got into triathlon last year as a break from running and have made a promise to myself that I will keep it fun. I may still try to be more competitive in running events but I'm going to keep the triathlons as my "non-competitive outlet." Easy for me to say because I'm a rather slow swimmer and I don't even have a real road bike yet! haha. The two sprint tris I've done I was in the middle of the pack and just happy to finish. I'm excited to start doing longer events, since endurance is really my strength and passion, so I'll keep my focus on just finishing. It's refreshing.

I'm also doing my first trail marathon this year with my husband, who's never run a marathon. It'll be a beautiful course which we will hike/run and just enjoy the experience. A PR or placing isn't anywhere in my mind and I can't wait.

I think the key is alternating competitive and non-competitive goals. No need to give up on the PRs or winning/placing in races, but there should be some events that are done purely for the fun of it.

Training for: Barb's Race HIM 8.2.08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is a conversation i had with myself about 6 years ago, maybe 7 years ago.

while it's nice to have things to strive for, i think it's critical to have perspective. it's not the olympics and it's not the only thing in the world. certainly it's fun to win, but it doesn't come without sacrifice. it just all depends what's most important to you. some people are miserable without winning, or being #1. i had alot of fun winning back in the day, but the outlook, drive and requirements to do this were all things i was willing to do at that time.

winning at sport isn't that important to me anymore, i really just want to be there for the experience and to most importantly to support my peers. the down side to this is finding continual motivation. the upside is that it's usually always fun.
Last edited by: kittycat: Mar 21, 08 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just coming back from 2+ years off, and my first race (earlier this month) was a BLAST! I had no goals or expectations - except to beat Khai ;-) -and I was surprised at how much fun I had. My only goals this year are a bunch of sprints (about 4 I think), one Olympic distance, and maybe a fall marathon. I know what I am capable of, and I think I have reasonable goals in mind, so hopefully the rest of the season will be fun.

One huge bonus this year is introducing the BF to tri. When he does his first race (likely in May or June), it will be a blast to be his Sherpa!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Was this all a lot more 'fun' when you were slower/just starting out? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a great point re: sacrifice. I want to do IMC next year, but the only way I'd do that is if I have support from the BF. I also know that the sacrifices I would make re: training time would be different this time around. I would work less/take leave for the last 1-2 months before the race, so I can train and NOT sacrifice time with K and the BF. I've already started making those extra mortgage payments so I can skip a few next year ;-).

I think many folks take on more and more training and racing without having that conversation with themselves... it's so easy to get sucked into that trap, that cycle. Then you wake up one day, realize you spend all your free time training or racing or recovering, and all your free $ on fees and gear and PT... life ends up feeling like a treadmill. While many folks on the outside looking in might think it looks like a good/healthy treadmill to be on, it really is somewhat dysfunctional.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Was this all a lot more 'fun' when you were slower/just starting out? [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nope, it's much more fun now.

17 years since my first, wetsuit free flail-fest and still going strong!

Would be happy to elaborate, but I'd be too wordy and probably bore everyone. But I did wish to present that counterpoint, in case my enthusiasm might be contageous. :-)

I agree--nearly 20 years since my first and it's still fun. Though I'm finding fun in other things too--like cyclocross, bike racing and the velodrome, but I still want to improve in the tris I'm doing.

Katy's and my teammate Matt used to say, "It doesn't have to be fun to be fun." You need to think about that a bit, but you'll find that it's true.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually started in the sport taking it very seriously and getting upset when I didn't see a marked improvement from race to race. I did this for my first two seasons until I had a wake-up call on a really horrible Half IM where everything went wrong, I finished 5th to last and cried when I was done. I was so upset about my performance that I didn't enjoy my A race of the season at all.

Now, I have stopped putting so much pressure on myself. I always want to improve and am disappointed when I don't but I let it go much faster. I always start thanking volunteers from the beginning of the race and when things get tough I make an extra effort to smile and say thanks. Makes the day better. It keeps me from getting so upset when I don't hit my A goals.

I also have a habit of setting unrealistic A goals so I always have a B and C goal. This is what keeps me from being upset for a week afterwards. I rarely hit A but always hit C.

I suggest next race to take off your watch and HR monitor and race just for the joy of racing.

My coach told me one day when I was particularly frustrated that racing is your reward for all the training. Enjoy your reward!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Lily [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not finding it any less fun now that I'm faster. But I've only done tris for 8 years. In fact, to people who think it's not possible to have fun while going fast, I say, "I'm having lots of fun--just faster."

A few things that I think help me keep the fun going are:
  • Have one or several actual "C" races. They shouldn't be about time, leaving plenty of room for fun. Maybe pace a slower person, helping them to achieve their goal.
  • Pick at least one event each season that challenges the heck out of you, where you stand zero chance of placing. And have fun doing it without expectations.
  • Find new ways to make it fun. Last year I wore streamers on my race belt at Triple T, and I think they made so many people smile and talk to me while racing that it was impossible to NOT have fun. So I wore them again at IMUSA and same thing. Temporary tattoos and bib number decorations help achieve the same thing.
  • Volunteer every once in awhile. There's nothing like it to help you remember that you worked to get where you are and that even the fast people appreciate the volunteers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlons are not as much fun as when I began....but after 23 years and over 220 Triathlon/multisport events I dont think that is unusual...I trained hard and maxed my abilities years ago....now I go and still race hard and do pretty good on edited training....and its still enjoyable but its not like it used to be....but that is really a good thing...

I enjoy trying to race well with minimum specific training...for example I have determined if I do 10, 30 minute pool swim workouts using intervals I can get about 90% of my swim speed for a sprint triathlon....VERY efficient training and it leaves time for other things...including hanging with my new wife, who is great...

I still enjoy the atmosphere and "tests" that races offer...I still do the best I can...but I confess its not as good as it used to be but that doesnt mean its not still fun...Triathlon was a cutting edge, hip, adventure for me in 1985....I dont see it the same way now....I now do other type of events to capture the adventureous feel Triathlons used to possess for me....single track mt biking, trial running, Cross Country ski marathons, Orienteering, Adventure racing, canoe/paddle triathlons...off road triathlons....I tell my wife I dont want to read Outside magazine...I want to be Outside Magazine...and this is where I am at today...
Quote Reply
Re: Was this all a lot more 'fun' when you were slower/just starting out? [Lily] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>try doing a race under a fake name <<

Really, really bad idea, due to liability issues.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took last year off from racing because I found that I was a little burnt out after my 2006 season. I did one race at the end of the year (a DU no less), however I did volunteer at a couple of races. THAT was A LOT of fun and it gave me the itch to get back out there and race because almost everyone I saw seemed to be 1) happy to be racing and 2) having fun. Volunteering might give you a bit of a different perspective and perhaps re-inspire you to re-claim the fun you used to have.

===============================================

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

http://www.teamrunningfree.com
http://ironmanredux.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who says you can't have fun even when you are going for a win/racing your best. I have more now fun than I did when I started. I thank volunteers, before, during and after the race. I talk to other racers before and during and after the race. I encourage other racers, especially the other woman that I am racing with. I never understand those women that never say anything back. Why be so serious? Anyway, I also try to smile for the camera when I see it and wave when I see people I know. I high five little kids along the side of the course. You can have fun and still race well. Sometimes it is a nice distraction from the pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question.

I think I have more fun now... fast to faster is more fun than slow to fast to me. Swimming fast is ridiculously fun. I imagine cycling fast is too.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Was this all a lot more 'fun' when you were slower/just starting out? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> I imagine cycling fast is too. <<

Woo hoo, it is!! I was on the track yesterday for some racing and that is pure speed! It's even more fun when you beat some of the guys. ;-)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my second season and will do my first HIM 3-29.I'm so stoked,being able to race in an HIM.Having more fun now,because I am faster and will be able to smell the roses a bit longer.....

CA 70.3 '08 WILDFLOWER HIM '08

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had similar thoughts and am not feeling that motivated to race this year. Last year, I had to come back from an injury. With a lot of work I recovered and raced. However, my perspective seems to have changed. I realized going fast at triathlons was not the most important thing to me. Also, I realized how many other activities I use to do that I've been missing out on with all the tri training (whitewater kayaking, rockclimbing, adventure racing, etc). Therefore, after October, I'll enjoy some down time and move on to some other sports. The good thing is there are many other activities just as enjoyable as triathlon (to me)... and I can always come back to tris after a year or two off. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
                For me,after 22 years, the races are still the same in that I am still happy to be able to go out and swim,bike and run in my fourties when so many my age are getting old beyond thier years.It is the training which is not as much fun anymore.As I am not into all the gadjets and gear that is such a part of our sport these days I am left in the cold by many in the tri-world who are slaves to technology.I am also not part of any coach-led training group which isolates me even more.It's not that I don't agree with coaching and training groups,it's just that with $2000 plus in airfares,$3000 plus in race entries and countless thousands in other tri-related stuff ,I just can't afford to spend any more money just for the sake of joining some group for company on my rides and runs.Years ago there were lots of us who would just go out and train without any strict protocols but we still trained hard and hit the podiums most of the time.More often than not our training included lots of time in the pub giving each other shit about how badly we did that day and planning the next adventure on the road.I think Ironman training lacks that sense of adventure these days especially amoung those trying to hit the top 10% of their age group.It seems we are all being told to train like pros and be way too serious in our approach to something which,for the most part, is a hobby.I miss those days and for me it is sad to see our sport turning into such an industry driven pastime.This year my training will revolve around crossing Nth America by mtb three times from June to November,doing the trip I had planned for last year.I will get fit and I may even do well in a race or two but no matter how well I do in those four events there will be no greater reward than simply being out there experiencing the wonderfull adventures that life on the road will throw at me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been doing this 21 years now and still love everythign about it. Especailly traveling, meeting people. The only thing I miss are the lower entry fees and real race bags, the non-drafting, and just how simple it used to be.

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it more "fun" when I was just starting out? Absolutely! After getting hardware in the Athena division two years in a row, I felt like I'd be a "failure" if I didn't continue the trend. That kind of pressure didn't sound like fun, so I decided it was time to change from sprint to OLY distance. OLY is just a bit above my ability level right now, so it will be a challenge to be ready to finish a September race, and on Race Day, I won't be thinking about hardware. ;-)

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply

Prev Next