Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wardrobe Challenged
Quote | Reply
Ok I am beyond frustrated. Over the last year I've dropped nearly 30 pounds. My pre kid (during Ironman training) skinny jeans no longer fit and are baggy. Although I'm pleased that I am carrying less weight now I know that this is only going to get worse because my body fat % is still higher than during IM (and those clothes are getting pretty baggy now). So, every time I head out of the house to go shopping I try to find at least one piece of clothing so that little by little I can add to my wardrobe that no longer fits with clothes that do fit. My issue is that NOTHING is fitting, no matter where I go, no matter what piece of clothing I choose, and at this point I have no idea what to try on. Our budget is limited to I'm trying to be economical about my purchases but seriously.....I'm starting to think that suspenders are in my future (not really but you get my point). My shirts are huge and I look frumpy and sloppy.

I don't really expect anyone to solve this, so help me laugh during this most frustrating time by sharing your funny wardrobe stories. I'm sure there has to be some out there.

Quote | Reply
Try consignment store shopping. There's a good one next to REI and another one in the Marineland next to the Bookworm. You can get some new stuff for cheap and it's a "green" way to shop since you're essentially recycling clothes. Better yet take in your too big clothes to trade then it's free :-)

I have two friends that are big time Goodwill shoppers. I've often complimented them on their stuff and they say "thanks, Goodwill!"
Quote Reply
Re: Wardrobe Challenged [RunMomRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also find great stuff at Old Navy and Target. Jeans and pants change so much between designers and within designers it is impossible to get it right. Once I figure out what brand and cut works for me I buy in multiple washes.

Old Navy has a new fit that is a normal waist, not the super low barely covering the hoohaa that they usually do. Funny that I walked out of there with two different styles and 2 different sizes. Frustrating but for $20 each I didn't mind spending the time trying on several pairs until they fit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely understand and am having a similar problem right now. My best advice is to find an affordable tailor or alterations place. Lately, nothing I'm finding will fit right off the rack. For certain items, I don't really care but for work clothes, they gotta fit. Lately, I've been able to get things on sale/clearance and then get them altered. Even with the alterations, I'm still coming out ahead and getting really good deals. For work clothes, Macy's has had VERY good sales the last two weeks - and, it seems like they always have some coupon. I found that by going to a less busy store (and one that sells less suiting), I have a better selection and the salespeople are nicer. The coupon that I had did not apply to the shoes that I was buying but I was still given a discount anyway...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen! How come no stories carry clothes in XS. Especially today when the current trend is boxed cut shirts, nothing flatters the smaller body and I look prego in EVERYTHING.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the tailor idea. I had a boxy big jean jacket taken in for only 15 dollars. I find that just some tucks here and there are helpful. Try online as well. Not trying to be pushy but you can check out my site www.fastlanejane.com there are some awesome clearance items and most items right now are at wholesale. Otherwise your idea about buying just slowly is pretty smart. Hang in there and boy you should just be proud you are training for an IM- someday for me!!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell me about it...the only pants I have that fit me right now are two pairs of designer jeans...and I think the only reason they do fit is b/c they are not "American-sized" like most of the big-box-store brands. And the huge difference between sizes sometimes is ridiculous...I mean, I've tried on pants before where there was a 2" difference in the waist from one size to the next!

I want to go to a store and buy work pants like I buy nice jeans...where you walk in, they look you up and down, whiz around the store and pick out three pair...all three of which fit even though you never actually told them your size...and pick the style/color/cut you like best, not whichever pair happens to more-or-less fit!

When I'm out and I see a girl who is noticeably smaller than I am (and there are plenty out there), I sometimes want to stop and ask where they buy their pants...but that might be weird. :-)

Anyway, I'd second the consignment shop...especially if you can find one or two in your area that are more trendy and less Salvation Army/Goodwill. Not knocking the Goodwill, but higher end brands will probably fit better, and I think people generally sell their better things and give away the other stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Wardrobe Challenged [remaven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it wouldn't be that weird. However, it would be VERY WEIRD for me to do the same since I'm a straight guy.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Wardrobe Challenged [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Amen! How come no stories carry clothes in XS. Especially today when the current trend is boxed cut shirts, nothing flatters the smaller body and I look prego in EVERYTHING.

I don't look preggo in stuff and I'm small; it just looks nightgownish.

JCrew stuff is wickedly expensive but made for really skinny people. Jeans even named "stick jeans" which is, btw, evil for so many reasons.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly you didn't get the memo. Clothing companies no longer make clothes for athletic people. The standard is extra room at the waist for pudge and no room for glutes, quads or hamstrings because being fit is so 1990. I've had decent luck with the Banana Republic Outlet. Anything in Martin Fit seems to sit slightly on the hips but with room in the backside and legs. On top, I have a better options, but it's hard to find something with medium arms/torso but small chest/shoulders. Sweaters much fit better than dress shirts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm all about the Target and Old Navy stuff - if it fits of course. The last time I went into Target I tried on a pair of Size 2 dress pants. Waaaaay too big. I asked an employee if they carried a Size 1 or 0... nope, Size 2 was the smallest size and it was falling off of my 120-pound frame. Frustrating. Why does Target hate skinny people? ;)

If you have a store called Maurice's in your local mall, check out their dress pants. I have every color and style I can get my hands on in their Size 2 and they fit me great - they run about $30-$35 per pair. But if you're much smaller than 120 pounds, you might be out of luck there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It so frustrating! I've found that the only things that really fit me well are Limited 0's for dress pants and Levi Jr 1's for jeans. J Crew pants are small enough, but somehow they never really fit right. I really hate shopping for pants when so many stores only carry down to a 4. 10 years ago, some 4's were too small, but it seems like size inflation has really taken off since then because I haven't changed size.

"When the going gets tough, get going!"
Quote Reply
Re: Wardrobe Challenged [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Clearly you didn't get the memo. Clothing companies no longer make clothes for athletic people. The standard is extra room at the waist for pudge and no room for glutes, quads or hamstrings because being fit is so 1990.

This is SO TRUE! My waist is very small, my legs, arms, everything else is athletic build. I've asked my husband on several occasion to point out a 'booty' that is the size of mine (just out of curiosity on how big he see's it) and he has never found one: his reason - my legs are too big (from running/cycling) and most girls don't have that look. He could just be covering his a$$ but at the same time there is some serious truth to it. Sizes are all jacked up. Every time I try on a pair of pants the legs are TIGHT and the waist is HUGE. So frustrating. Within the last year I've dropped to a size 4 (but the majority of my pants are a size 6 - I tossed out the 8's months ago) but on any given day (depending on the brand and store) I can range from a 3 to a 7. It's absolutely ridiculous. I'm 5'6'' 125 pounds (hold my weight very well, most people think I'm like 115) and am finding it next to impossible to find anything that fits anywhere (Macy's, Target, Old Navy, Gap, etc.). I guess I just have to be patient and keep wearing long a$$ shirts to hide the fact that most of my pants are falling off.

Quote | Reply
That's so funny because I also ask my husband to point out somebody that has a similar body to mine, but he never answers!

I lost a few pounds and all of my pants are too big now. My belt is down to the last notch and since I always had problems to buy pants, now it has just gotten worse! However, I recently did find the best (for me, of course) pair of pants at Banana Republic Outlet. I got a size zero Jackson fit and it's perfect! I didn't even need to get it hemmed. I also found a nice XS shirt. I've tried to find something cheap before and I never find my size, everything is always huge! Banana Republic Outlet is still more expensive than Target or Old Navy, but unfortunately, it's my only option so far.

Good luck with your search!
Quote Reply