Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Volunteer Comments
Quote | Reply
Do you have any fun comments you've heard or said that you can share?

This is my 5th year of doing tris. And yes, I know good volunteers are critical. Hang with me till I get to my point, please.

Last weekend, for the first time ever (perhaps my 25th-30th tri of various distances, all short), I had some really negative volunteer comments. Exiting the rocky swim exit, I actually had a vol yell to me that this was a race and to get on in. I was negotiating submerged rocks. The same race I had a vol at the bike dismount yell to hurry up because there were others behind me. Mind you, this was a fairly steep short uphill to the dismount line (Culpeper Sprint tri in VA). I felt I needed to stay clipped in to make it to the dismount line so it wasn't like I hadn't thought about it.

I kinda wanted to say that the people behind me needed to deal with me, but I understood that he didn't understand and just went with it. I really take pride in being a polite and supportive competitor. I don't get paid for this so it makes my day that much more fun to take in the positive energy and roll with it.

Cue to today. I was a vol at a supersprint and worked the mount/dismount line for the first time ever. Surprisingly, there were a few race wheels/aero helmet guys at this "beginner's race" but that is a separate thread. But I tried to say something really positive to every single athlete. It was my first time as a volunteer. I said things like: Great swim, go kill the bike; You look really fast, see you soon; Style points for dismount, and You look like a runner, you're in there etc., well, you get the picture. This was a beginner sprint.

What are some great volunteer lines you've heard or said? By the end, I wished I had some fun new lines to throw out there. These beginners were awesome. They were me five years ago. Underprepared and overanxious. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Volunteer Comments [albarina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love to tell people they look sexy. It usually cracks them up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've posted this before, but during my second lap of the run at the CA 70.3 this year a spectator (I know, not a volunteer) yelled to me

"Kathy! I may never see you again, but I know you're a winner!"

For some reason that has stuck with me, either because it was totally off the wall and funny, or because it helped me finish.

Volunteering at IMAZ, I tried to yell out everyone's name and some sort of "lookin good" comment... I find that hearing my name by the volunteers/spectators makes me want to go faster...

I'm sorry you had negative remarks yelled to you during your race... you didn't deserve them

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a volunteer, I usually yell the TdF, "Allez!" to the cyclists and "Run like you stole something!" to the runners.
As an athlete, I remember the positive comments on my race outfit (I usually run in a skirt)--my own vanity. One of the best things I've ever heard from a volunteer was at the last aid station on the IMLP run. Someone called out my name and said,"Look at you run, girl! You're FLYING!" I was tearing up the course with my lumbering jog, but it was great to hear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During my first Ironman Canada in 2004 while in T2 my volunteer was complaining to me about how tired she was. I agreed with her that it’s really tough being a volunteer for such a long time but unfortunately I couldn’t stay to relieve her as I still had a marathon to run.

The volunteers in that race are the most amazing people. I’m sure she was over 70 but still an integral part of the success of the race. Volunteers ROCK!

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Re: Volunteer Comments [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At my race last sunday, as I was running out of T1 with bike, one of the volunteers yelled: 'Ride it like you stole it' which made me smile (and of course hammer the bike - 43/1200 on that split)

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: Volunteer Comments [CatIsTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although it wasn't a volunteer comment, it still helped...

Last year at IMMOO... a small group of spectators held up a big sign that read: "HOLY SH*T, YOU'RE DOING A F*CKING IRONMAN!"

It made me laugh just when I really needed it, at the top of one of those nasty climbs, and it was something to look forward to on the second loop!
Quote Reply
Re: Volunteer Comments [dupeetriclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha.... that's awesome!!! I LOVE it!

Quote | Reply
I was volunteering for a half marathon last summer at the mile 10 aid station on the course. It was extremely hot, and a lot of the runners would ask the volunteers to throw the cups of water on them. So, after a while, we got the hint and just started yelling "who wants it in the face..." "you look like you want it in the face". Needless to say, it got a lot of otherwise tired, hot, and hurting runners to laugh and put a smile on their face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not a volunteer, but my bf has a penchant for yelling "If you don't do good, you're not getting a ride home." For some reason it always cracks me up and makes me run faster.

my severely neglected blog
Quote Reply
Re: Volunteer Comments [dupeetriclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto from me.

Although it wasn't a volunteer comment, it still helped...

At IMCDA... at the top of one of those short steep climbs where I was moving really slow, a small group of spectators had a tiny little sign that read: "Don't Suck!"

It made me laugh just when I really needed it, and it was something to look forward to on the second loop!

it turns out that our OP is only "mostly" dead........ ElGordo
Quote Reply
Re: Volunteer Comments [GregZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always liked in an aid station or Transition when a volunteer asks, "What do you need?"
It allowed me to know I had support, that I could get what I needed, and allowed me to speed through smoothly.

it turns out that our OP is only "mostly" dead........ ElGordo
Quote Reply
Re: Volunteer Comments [GregZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I laughed at the comments I got at a local Oly yesterday. I get out of my shoes while still on the bike and have a good running dismount. Thing is, I wear socks on the bike and run. So I run from the dismount line to my transition area in socks. I don't care -those socks are never going to be 100% clean again anyway.

The dismount line volunteer pointed to the line as I was approaching and said "dismount here" I responded "I got it!" and dismounted smoothly into my run to transition. Then the guy said "nice dismount" followed by "your socks are going to get dirty" to which I replied "I don't care!" in a jovial tone.
Quote Reply
Re: Volunteer Comments [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a volunteer-but my husband. One person can enter a message to flash at the last turn around of the IMFL, 6 miles out from the finish and right in the "dead-zone". His message read "Hurry up-I'm HUNGRY!"

Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody! Man, I sure wish I would have remembered "Ride like you stole it!" I was volunteering because I talked two of my cycling friends into doing their first tri ever. I talked them into doing their first du ever in Apr. Actually, it was their first race ever in their entire lives. They came in first and second in their AG (55-59) on Sunday and both have committed to an Oct sprint tri involving open water.

My coach never told me that if you want to know people at local tris, you have to grow them! I love it!
Quote Reply
Re: Volunteer Comments [jess!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
not a volunteer, but my bf has a penchant for yelling "If you don't do good, you're not getting a ride home." For some reason it always cracks me up and makes me run faster.
See, that's the kind of stuff that I want to hear. Anyone on the course at IMC, go for stuff like that. Make sure you swear at me too! hahaha :)

Quote | Reply
His message read "Hurry up-I'm HUNGRY!"

What a sweetheart :-)

Hilarious.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I woulda been annoyed at the "get on with it" comment.

When I vol, I always try to yell as obnoxiously as possible and only positive comments like "you rock" or "looking good" etc.

After doing a marathon though, the one and only comment I'll refrain from and I warn every other volunteer / support who comes to cheer me on, is to steer clear of is, '"You're almost there" comment!

People, that last mile of a mary feels like 26 more, imho ;). Cripe, even that last .2 felt horrible. OK, it was my first, but had I had the energy I almost socked the folks who cried "you're almost there" at Mile 24 of my marathon.
Quote Reply