Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vanity sizing
Quote | Reply
WTF... My clothes size keeps getting "smaller"...but not really, thanks to the larger people who need to be in a size that makes them feel good.

But with running shoes?? Can't they vanity size those? So I don't really have to be in a 9.5 or 10 instead of the nice 8 I used to wear? (I think 10 is right around the corner--jeez.)

;)
Quote Reply
Re: Vanity sizing [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look into proper support - your feet shouldn't be stretching so much.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the shoes, is it a width or length issue? Check out your arch? Maybe it's "getting lower"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they are doing the same thing in men's clothing too.

I've worn XL shirts since I was 17 thanks to having swimmer's shoulders. Now I wear an XL and it's like a tent on me.

I've also gone from a 12 to a 13, so maybe they are doing this with shoes as well for men too?????

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, you didn't appear to be walking around in clown shoes the last time I saw you.

On the bright side, it's easier to get shoes on sale. Effing size 8 is never on clearance.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Vanity sizing [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha! Actually, my feet haven't grown all that much...maybe spread out a little over the years. That's why I posted (mostly in jest, mind you)....if I can fit into a size 2 of some clothing, when, in reality compared to my size, I should be in a 4 or 6....I would just rather my running shoes say 8 instead of 9.5 and higher. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...I would just rather my running shoes say 8 instead of 9.5 and higher. ;)

You could pull a Seinfeld and just use a sharpie...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I absolutely hate this, because I am at the bottom end of the spectrum. It sounds silly to complain about, but a size 0 is too big on me, when 3 years ago, I was almost a 4. They don't have anything smaller than a zero, so now I'm forced to shop in the Junior's department. It is very annoying, trying to find 'grown-up' clothes that fit normally in that department. If only I could wear low-rise jeans and bare midriff tops to work! Ha.
Quote Reply
Re: Vanity sizing [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The worst part with clothes I've found is when a shirt is too short so you have to buy the next larger size, but the next size up is wider but not any longer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sister, I got your humor and couldn't agree more! I've heard about vanity sizing for 10+ years now, but it seems to have accelerated in the last couple.

I had a baby in December and decided to buy a pair of jeans at Old Navy to tide me over before I could fit back into my pre-pregnancy jeans. The sales person told me they had just "redone" all their styles and sizing. I am now swimming in size 4, and hello I just had a baby. Since I've outgrown (outshrunk?) those now I'd imagine I'd have to get a 2 or smaller. And believe me, I was never a size 2, even when I was in peak pre-baby shape.

The funny things is that it's so skewed that it cannot be fooling anyone any more. Can it?

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Vanity sizing [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same deal with me. I'm 6'2" 175lb. In High School i wore a XL shirt, now i wear a large in almost everything. If i have a Tommy Bahama shirt on it needs to be a Medium.

Quote Reply
Re: Vanity sizing [ride 'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Navy is probably the worst of the bunch. I am 5'9 175 lbs. I wear a size 6 at Old Navy but I am a size 12 at H&M -- H&M does not do the vanity size thing. Also, I am a size 12 at designer boutiques, if they even carry items that "big" (which is okay since I can't really afford that stuff anyway).

Am I fooled into thinking I am a size 6? No. Old Navy just pisses me off. I don't need my ego stroked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It gets very confusing for guys when try buying clothes for wives or significant others at X-mas and birthdays. Womens "sizing" is all over the map.
Quote Reply
Re: Vanity sizing [alaina1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree... I hate it when 0's are too big (Express, Old Navy, etc...). I wore 5's as a junior at one point and those are smaller than most of my 2's and some of the 0's. Thank goodness I found jeans that fit with Levi's Junior 1's.

I have a long torso and pretty much no boobs, so shorts are just horrible. They are either too short (worse because I only wear low rise pants) or hugely baggy...

"When the going gets tough, get going!"
Quote Reply
Re: Vanity sizing [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It gets very confusing for guys when try buying clothes for wives or significant others at X-mas and birthdays. Womens "sizing" is all over the map.

because men's isn't? have you tried to buy some jeans lately? 32in is not really 32in, it depends if it's a 'relaxed' fit or not, or some other type of fit, not to mention that a brand 36 is another brand's 32. And let's not even talk about shirts/t-shirts where being the same physical shape/size over 10 years I've gone from sometimes XL, usually L down to usually M and sometimes even S (!).
Quote Reply
Re: Vanity sizing [djh2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always have that problem because I'm too tall. I'd fit in a small or medium (no vanity sizing here in Asia just yet) but when I go to Large for length - it's too loose.
ARGH!
Quote Reply
Re: Vanity sizing [alaina1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I absolutely hate this, because I am at the bottom end of the spectrum. It sounds silly to complain about, but a size 0 is too big on me, when 3 years ago, I was almost a 4. They don't have anything smaller than a zero, so now I'm forced to shop in the Junior's department. It is very annoying, trying to find 'grown-up' clothes that fit normally in that department. If only I could wear low-rise jeans and bare midriff tops to work! Ha.

Years ago, I found that clothing sizes were inversely proportional to the cost of the item. In 1989, I was wearing size 14 K-mart jeans, size 8 clothing from the Limited, and my graduation dress (from an outrageously expensive boutique) was a size 4.

I haven't bought clothing with "number" sizes in years, but if I had your problem, I'd check out Wal*Mart or some other discount place.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...I've been claiming that sizes are shrinking, not growing....interesting.
Quote Reply