Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upset stomach (period)
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else regularly get an upset stomach/digest system when they get their period?

Any natural remedies/suggestions?

I'm missing my run tonight b/c I just don't trust myself (my stomach can be temperamental running at the best of times) and am going to do ride the trainer for a bit.

I'm going to start eating ginger when I get my period as a preventative - maybe pineapple too....anything else?

I read something that said red wine would be helpful! I drank a bottle of red wine tonight (minus the glass I gave my brother and the half glass one of my dogs stole when I was out of the room....brat), purely for medicinal reasons, and my stomach feels WAAAY better! but the bf doesn't seem to think it's a good regular solution for some reason ;)

Just wondering what others do :)
Quote Reply
Re: Upset stomach (period) [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alcohol is a bad way to solve problems? hmmm.... :P

Are you skipping the run cuz you might puke or cuz.... well, you know? If it's the latter, that's no reason to skip! I have the shits on EVERY run (don't get me started).

I feel like a can of smashed assholes for almost 2 weeks of every month because of the damn cycle. The only prescription I've found to be effective (other than more cowbell) is chocolate cake. Although that probably falls into the bad regular solution category, doesn't it? :)

Quote | Reply
I could handle puking!

Seriously, you constantly have the shits? What do you do? (I already HAVE to have the 2, 2.5 hours between eating and running (man do I envy the bf who wakes up, has some oatmeal, and goes for a run. That's cheating!!!! He's always like 'you ran without breakfast? are you crazy?' and I'm like 'you ran after eating breakfast? are you crazy!?') I usually only miss a day or two, but it's enough to get on my nerves. I was all excited to do more hill repeats tonight and then I spent the afternoon and evening (pre-wine)....occupied.

Do you think it's the cake, or the chocolate, that helps? I'm willing to sacrifice myself, if necessary.... ;)

Seriously though, how do you run through it? I spent an amazing run with the dogs last week alternately sprinting and then slowing down in an effort to make it home safely (non-period though). Short of working out my sphincter muscles (sorry) I just can't see the benefit. I HATE it!

edit: years ago, when I started running, I'd get an upset stomach pretty well every run, and my stomach adapted, but it's been several years since that happened and I've never had subsequent improvements. help!
Last edited by: Teags: Feb 19, 09 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: Upset stomach (period) [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't run through it. Usually one stop/run is all I need to get me through it. It's a piss off, that's for sure. I can take 4 craps before I go out and I STILL need to crap during my run. I've just learned to plan a route that passes by my house or my parents so I have a place to stop when I need to.

I wouldn't say that the cake helps so much as it makes me feel better. Ya know? ;)

Quote | Reply
I have routes like that too! ....I don't know why I'm excited about that....

Somedays it's just bad. Today I didn't even trust myself on a shorter past the house route (backed up by my ride....the red wine solution DOES NOT work! I'm shocked and sorrowful! Plus I missed part of Top Gear on the BBC which I was watching on the bike (well, "bike"....I have a horrific trainer that may as well not be a bike. If my stomach gets upset on that, it's bad times)).

The 'makes me feel better' was my red wine theory too, but now I'm sorely disappointed in the power of wine. First a dog steals some, then the puppy spills a bit (yeah, it was the puppy's fault) on my sheets (not my side of the bed though....he knows ;) ). I think I'm giving up on the wine fix....
Quote Reply