Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Umbilical hernia?
Quote | Reply
Any womens here ever have one? I've got one, likely from pregnancy (the linea alba fibres were stretched pretty much right out), and now it's "growing". I can feel fluids in it. Even "squish" it. Going to go see the doc about it, but wanted to see if anyone had experience to share... really hoping I don't need surgery (would be my 3rd abdominal surgery - yuck).

AP
Last edited by: AndyPants: Dec 15, 09 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Umbilical hernia? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no information to impart on this other than "Yikes!" and I will keep my fingers crossed that no surgery is required and that you feel better soon! :-)

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Umbilical hernia? [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks... right now it's pretty small, but it's still bigger than it was for all of K's first 5 yrs ;-) although losing some belly fat made it more noticeable...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a small one, the size of a pencil eraser, about 10 years ago. It resolved on it's own.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ex girlfriends son had this (approx 1 year old) There were several nights where he couldn't sleep because of it. We would have to put our hands on it and cup it to make him feel better. She finally got it fixed with surgery and it was night and day with his pain. Has not had any problems that I know of.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Re: Umbilical hernia? [cdnbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah apparently for children, surgery is often required. it's supposed to be quite different for women - mine was a result of pregnancy. But it sounds like he had a full recovery, that's good to know!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey---I have a couple comments just because 1) I have one too, and 2) I'm a surgery resident/MD so I've seen/repaired a lot of these.
The risk of a hernia is that if stuff, i.e. intestine is able to sneak out the hernia it could get stuck (you then wouldn't be able to push it back in like it sounds like you can now). Then, worst-case, that bowel could lose its blood supply or get blocked. Both are emergencies so if you ever had a lot of pain or one you can't push in, you need to see a doctor.
If it's uncomfortable (or you want to look hot in a bikini?), you can go see a surgeon to evaluate for repair. If it doesn't bug you at all, you just have to know that that risk is there and be prepared to go to the ER if that ever happened.
I have an umbilical hernia that I only know is there because it stuck way out when I was pregnant--I had to tape it down to not look like an idiot in t-shirts---but now, 13 years later, I still haven't had it repaired.

Hope that helps at all.

Shannon
Quote Reply
Re: Umbilical hernia? [sleighcastle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that totally helps! It's not very big and doesn't hurt so I'll just leave it for now, and mention it when I see my GP next...

Thanks!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump for RunMomRun

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply