Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UTIs?
Quote | Reply
to the womens:

urinary tract infections - who's had 'em, and what's your experience been?

i just got one for the first time. ARGH!!! on day two, i think. just started antibiotics about two hours ago. yesterday was slightly uncomfortable, but it seems as though it was getting worse by the minute today. pretty much unbearable now.

when do you usually start to feel relief? what have you done to prevent future instances?

any advice most appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: UTIs? [moserspeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for immediate relief to back to the drugstore - pyridium is otc now and it numbs the bladder.....also turns your pee bright orange.

to prevent:

don't hold your pee
drink lots of water (ok you are a triathlete that goes without saying)
get up to pee after sex
cranberry pills (not the juice each capsule is the equivalent of like a whole container of juice) - this has actually been studied. cranberry not only acidifies your urine but it prevents the bacteria from sticking so they get flushed out. I have women dose them all different ways. If you occasionally get UTIs keep them on hand and as SOON as you have even ONE symptom then take 2 3x per day with TONS of water. If you get them more frequently either take 1-2 after sex or daily.

-cat

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had recurrent problems with UTI's since childhood due to a reverted bladder (it tips backwards and doesn't allow to empty completely raising the risk of infection). Cycling can easily bring an infection on. I try to be extra careful by wearing clean cycling shorts and drinking plenty of water.

I've found that there are OTC products that help very well with the discomfort and frequent urge to "go". I can't remember the name of them but you can find them in most grocery or drug stores in the "feminine hygiene" section. They are basically analgesics and in my book, life savers until the antibiotics kick in! most of them turn your pee bright orange, so you won't want to wear your finest panties cuz it will strain them.

Good Luck and drink lots of water!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: UTIs? [CatIsTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a big ditto on the peeing after sex!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a few. Did you get the local anesthetic pill? That will relieve most symptoms pretty quickly.

In order to avoid them in the future, go pee after having sex - EVERY TIME. Seriously. Makes a huge difference. Even if it's like an ounce. It flushes the germs from Mr. Happy off the surface area.

PM me if you need any more info.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been plagued with this for years. Not fun. Definitely get the peridium, but you need antibiotics as well. Also, you may need to not take it for a number of hours if your doc is going to do a culture. Vitamin C and Cranberry extract are great for prevention.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drink cranberry juice. Not the Ocean Spray fake kind but the real (nasty) cranberry juice from the health food store (unsweetened). I am sure the pills work too, but I find that if I stop by the store, get a whole bottle of the strong juice, and down it on my way home, I feel a little better by the next morning. Might be partly placebo effect (drinking the nasty juice is associated with feeling better) but it works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: UTIs? [CatIsTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second all of this, in addition, rinse with water and/or soap and water after sex. ALso after a particularly sweaty run or bike workout, wash soon after that also. I used to get them frequently, and now have a prescription in the house and in my bag with me all the time, so if I get one I take one immediately and its gone shortly there after. If you begin to get them frequently, talk to your doctor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am susceptible to them. One year, I had 10. It turned out I had something the doctor called a "callus" in my bladder (squamous cell metaplasia).
I had that burned out, and it reduced the occurance somewhat.
For me, they are more related to sex than anything. I was in an unhappy relationship at the time, which had an effect, if only on my immune system overall. I often get them still when I start a new relationship or when the sex is sporadic.
I think I got on a vicious cycle of treating the infection with antibiotics, then having to treat the resulting yeast infection (from the antibiotics), then getting a UTI again. I think everything just stayed inflamed all the time.
An untreated UTI can turn into a kidney infection (had that, too) which is more serious - so I always go to the doctor whenever I suspect I have one.
The stuff that makes your pee orange (pyridium, or you can even get it as Uristat over the counter in the US) is the BEST thing for making you feel better. I've never taken any medication that works so well, so quickly.
However, this doesn't address the infection, and I've heard it might slightly affect the diagnostic test, so I try not to take it until after I've seen a doc.
I tried loads of cranberry juice, etc. It didn't help me as much. Getting rid of the bad boyfriend definitely helped.
I agree that peeing after sex is the most important thing for prevention, as well as just trying to create a life where your immune system can be strong. And, if you're having sex - have it often and consistently (ha ha!)
Quote Reply
Re: UTIs? [imsquared] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Getting rid of the bad boyfriend definitely helped.
ok, I'll admit that I have never typed these 3 letters, but this deserves a.... LOL!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you started antibiotics two hours ago you should feel relief now?
Ive 2x got them during long distance races...soooo painful. I often wonder if it is due to the peeing and not wiping after? But I havent got another one since I started drinking even MORE water (or nuun before a race as it has electrolytes) and I also drink the nasty cranberry, which is an acquired taste and you can get used to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd second needing pyridium. that helps with the pain, but i think you need an antibiotic as well to get rid of the UTI. Drink lots of water and cranberry juice (something in it makes it help).

Also, if you're sexually active, make sure in general that you pee after having sex. sometimes semen sitting around can give you one.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply