Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon bicycle
Quote | Reply
Looking for suggestions of good triathlon bicycle for someone who is 5 foot 2 inches. And if anyone has an opinion on women specific vs. 48 cm triathlon bicycle.

deborah hassman
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bicycle [trigirl74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two thoughts on this:

1) The main forum might be a really big source of info on this subject. Among other things, lots of guys who don't drop in on the Womens forum too often, but have gone through the process of finding a bike for a wife or girlfriend. Definitely suggest that you give your thread a title that is very specific about the fact that you need a bike that's on the smaller side of most manufacturers' offerings.

2) I think that Jodi rides something like a 48-49 cm frame, if I remember correctly. She ought to be pretty familiar with the available offerings in this size.

Good luck!

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

JBird

Dec 15, 08 14:37

Post #1 of 15 (453 views)
Copy Shortcut
TT bikes for the vertically challenged Quote | Reply
I know there have been various threads on here about tri bikes for us shorties but here comes the topic again. I'm signed up for my first IM next year and am going to treat myself to a new tri bike. Er, correction, FIRST triathlon bike, since all I have is my entry level road bike. Anyway, I've pretty much got it narrowed down to a Felt or a Quintana Roo and was wondering if there was a general consensus about one over the other? I'm 5'2", more leg than torso. I've been on a 48cm Felt and the size was good and I am going to ride a friend's 48cm QR to check that out. Any thoughts or experiences with these bikes would be appreciated, Thanks!

I know there is a way to post the thread, but I haven't figured it out yet. Research back to December 15 and you will find good information.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'3" and have a Giant Aeryn 1 in an XS.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/...es/women/2283/32108/

I love it and it's on the less expensive side of the tri-bike price scale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you can afford something custom, i've heard really positive things about guru too. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'2, and I'm on a 48 Cervelo P2C. I'm built more with a longer torso instead of longer legs... Women's specific designs just didn't work well for me, plus, many tend to be less aggressive.

This post
from a month or so ago (referenced in an earlier post) should give you a good idea of what some of the shorter girls around here are riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bicycle [swimlinz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went through Tri bike vs road bike shopping and I am 5'0". I went with a custom road bike (Moots) since I ride alot of hills/mountain roads and group rides and finally just went with a custom frame. I don't need to ride aero most of the time and am more comfortable with a road bike for the most part. My custom road bike is sort of between the road/tri seat angle so I can add clip ons when I want to go aero. I looked at a few different companies as far as really small bikes....I believe Cannondale made (or makes) a really small road bike, Trek makes a small women's tri bike and road bikes and I believe Specialized may make smaller bikes. Check out Quintana Roo as well. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon bicycle [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know there is a way to post the thread, but I haven't figured it out yet. Research back to December 15 and you will find good information.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2129224

my suggestion is to narrow your search to bikes with 650c wheels. they will make your life easier!

that means quintana roo, cervelo, felt, giant, and perhaps a couple others.

you should go to a bike shop with a qualified tri bike fitter, preferably FIST-certified. some bike fitters are only good at setting people up in road positions, so make sure you find someone in your area who knows what they're doing. they will be able to help you choose a bike that suits your flexibility, body dimensions, etc.

getting advice from a someone who spends a couple hours figuring out the optimal set up with you will yield a much better, more accurate suggestion than asking for opinions on this site :)
Quote Reply