Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri shorts vs bike shorts
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I am doing my first IM this summer, and I wanted some opinions on whether to wear tri shorts or bike shorts during the race. I use my tri shorts for shorter distances and for my running, but all my long rides over the past 3 years I have worn bike shorts for the extra padding comfort. I figure I will have the time in transition to change into tri shorts for the run. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shorts vs bike shorts [cervelogirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did my first IM last summer and rode in a pair of DeSoto 400 mile shorts - a tri-short with extra padding. I didn't want to have to try to put bike shorts on after the swim, which is why I went that route. I was perfectly comfortable (well, as comfortable as can be expected on a 112 mile bike ride.) I did a lot of long rides in them beforehand, which I also recommend.

Good luck!

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use in the race whatever you use during training. If an extra 30sec to 2min is worth hours of comfort for you- do it! If you really want to save that time, practice doing a 3, then 4+ hour ride with tri shorts.

(I also used the desoto shorts for IM..they are pretty nice- but NOTHING is actually comfortable about being on a bike seat that long, no matter what!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In both my Ironman races I have worn Zoot tri shorts. I agree with both of the other posts ...... firstly, I didn't want the bother of getting changed out of a swimming costume into knicks and then out of knicks into running pants. Secondly, 180 k's hurts regardless of the extra padding. In fact, my back and neck were so sore that I didn't even think about the softer bits!! I am really a sook when it comes to pain and I didn't have any problem with wearing tri pants for the whole race. I think it's going to be a really personal thing - you have to do what you feel confident and comfy with.

Good luck!

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri shorts - you will be far more comfortable - but practice/train in them. Also, I would strongly recommend changing into run shorts (IMWA I did and no problems; IMC I didn't and had major chafage even with lots of bodyglide). If I IM again, I will change into run shorts. While lots of folks do the IM run in tri shorts, you are talking maybe 1min to change, and that 1 min might be worth the comfort! I personally wanted to get out of my dirty salty gross trishorts... (yeah I'm messy) ;-)

Good luck!

Ap

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shorts vs bike shorts [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I wear now too. I believe it was the 2009 model of the De Soto 400-mile bike short where there was a new buoyant pad added to the short, which makes it great for swimming and still comfortable on the run, while providing that much needed padding for a 112 mile bike ride.

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second AndyPants on the changing into run shorts. So worth the extra minute of time in transition...

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shorts vs bike shorts [Mr + Mrs C.C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In fact, my back and neck were so sore that I didn't even think about the softer bits!!

please get a bike fit :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you in a rush? If so, I definitely like the lighter padding for all-around economy. I wound up using Terry low rise bike shorts last 2 times but those are padded almost as lightly as tri shorts. I think if you are in race mode, you won't feel the saddle pain as much as you do in training.

If you are totally in the "I just want to finish comfortably" mode, it might be worth switching shorts. In my first IM, I swam in a swimsuit (don't even ask), biked in bike shorts (very padded Assos ones actually..again an error IMO), and I really enjoyed the comfort of running in soft, baggy running shorts after that.

For the future, I will always stash some baggy running shorts in my area at transition, but only plan to use them if I am just terribly tired of my biking shorts, or chafed or something.

Good "problem"! Good luck and enjoy your journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't worn or purchased bike shorts for years....after trying out tri shorts during a long ride at firend's suggestion I found it so much more confortable without the pad. Maybe try tri shorts for a longer ride? also as mentioned, be sure your bike fits you well. Its great to be able to not change as I did my first year, take so long when wet to get shorts on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I 2nd the Desoto 400 mile shorts for an IM- I did this at IMLou last year. You can switch into running shorts or tri shorts in T2
Quote Reply