Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri shorts vs. bike shorts
Quote | Reply
So I'm getting ready for my first tri this weekend and while I will be impressively slow due to not really, you know, training, we are looking at getting tri shorts/tops to race in.

Originally I'd planned to wear my bathing suit and pull running shorts over it for the bike/run, as the bike is short, but I am still breaking myself in to the saddle so my bf was thinking tri shorts would be best, since I could do everything in them.

Leaving aside that I shrivel up in horror, body-image wise, at this, I have some questions....

-what is the real difference between tri shorts and bike shorts?
-could you swim in bike shorts?
-is there anything I should be looking for, women-specific, in tri shorts (that the bf won't know, for instance)?

And anything else.

....now I just have to not crash my bike and I'll be fine but slow :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shorts vs. bike shorts [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-what is the real difference between tri shorts and bike shorts? Size of the chamois
-could you swim in bike shorts? You could, but I highly suggest not doing so (speaking from experience).
-is there anything I should be looking for, women-specific, in tri shorts (that the bf won't know, for instance)? DeSoto is the best.

Good luck! You'll do great and don't worry about being slow.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shorts vs. bike shorts [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

I suspected bike shorts might not be as good to swim in - I guess the bigger chamois takes on water?

I'm mostly nervous about riding my bike around other bike traffic and turns, I've only had a bike with brakes that I can ride outside for a little while (so a couple of rides) and other than one ride with my bf, it's just me by myself, and I haven't ridden a bike for a good 17 years at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigger chamois takes on water, and feels like a diaper on the run. tri shorts rule, and yes desoto rawks! since you're downtown, why not hit endurosport and see what they have in stock? i know a lot of shops are having end-of-season sales on summer gear right now.

to be honest, the biggest problem you're likely to face is other cyclists nearly taking you out. there were a couple of occasions during the GL1-TAT that were either swerve to avoid (and people do NOT know what "on your left" means, or at least don't care) or end up in a tangled heap of limbs & metal. treat every single person out there like they're about to brake or swoop in front of you at any second, and i guarantee that at least a couple will live up to expectation. be especially careful passing while climbing the rolling hills on the course; people with poor bike handling skills + moving at less than walking pace up a hill = wobbling all over the place, and almost NOONE stays to the right.

there are only 3 real turns on the course - onto watson rd after you leave the gate, the turnaround at guelph-nichol townline (which is just before the intersection), then from watson rd back onto conservation drive. do watch for the gravel by the gate (there's a fair bit of it), and remember that the speed bumps are still there when you come back through the gate!

you'll be fine, though! just ride defensively, and enjoy it! :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Toby says he doesn't think there are shops in Toronto that carry De Soto, but we're going to go to Running Free tonight so a trip to Endurosports isn't out of the question either!

I'm worried about being one of those other cyclists! I've been practicing really basic stuff like cornering and stopping (this is the first bike I'd ever ridden where you have to come off the saddle when you stop....my first stop was a bit awkward as I didn't realize this, but I'm fine with it now) (I've been going to the subway parking lot across the street and riding/cornering through the parking spaces). Toby said not to worry about speed since I can ride 25k/hr without any effort, so with effort I should be able to go faster, except of course I'm going to be nervous and going slow for turns and the hill and everything.

Good to know about the gravel!

The TAT is really late, but Toby decided to do the sprint since we're going out there anyways, so I should get a chance to say hi!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, i was just reading the GL2 page at trisport canada and realised i had it backwards - in june, the TAT goes at 9am and the sprint at 1pm. it's reversed for labour day, so i'll be up at freakin' 5.30am again..

at least it should have warmed up by the time you're racing! these 4-5c nights are going to make for a chilly morning..

be aware - it's not THE hill, it's ALL the hills. the worst one is 1/2 way between conservation dr. and mill rd., but the whole course is rollers. it's slightly faster on the way back than on the way out, though. the only place you'll have to stop is at the dismount line (and the officials will SCREAM at you if you haven't dismounted by about 10' away, but ignore them and roll up to the line. as long as you're off your bike before the front wheel crosses the line, you can't be DQ'd), so no big worries there.

i'm going to try to hang out to cheer you on, depending on weather/feel. i had planned to stay to watch cassie race the du at GL1, but hypothermia said no! forecast says it should be a much nicer day, though :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Rollers. Gotcha. Well, I've got shifting down, so....

I'm such a nervous nelly I'll probably dismount way before the line :)

Hopefully it's a nicer day! Or I'll be hypothermic before the race starts! If you can hang out that's awesome, you guys can laugh at me ;) I just keep reminding myself that everything is little.

And in non-little news, deposit is down for IMC 2010 accomodation and T is in! So, phew! The life of an Ironmanager....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i won't be laughing - i know you'll be working hard out there! just try to restrain yourself from actually rolling on the ground when you see how slow i am *lol*

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Well I picked up a pair of Sugoi tri shorts last night, and a top (technically a bike top I think, not a tri top, but it will do and is a bit longer).

Not an outfit calculated to do ANYTHING for my body image. Running clothes hide so much more. I was doing a good impression of a whale :( Hopefully knowing I will have to be wearing tight clothes will help me this year with my eating though! Yikes! Didn't appreciate how bad it would be until I had them on :)

Wore the shorts this morning while I practised bike handling (mostly turns, as that's what I'm most worried about) and they were surprisingly comfy given how small the chamois was - I think that's a function of being outside though, I always find rides outside more comfy than on the trainer, just because you move more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the shorts have gripper legs, then I suggest a bit of Body Glide on your legs where the grippers will be.

I assume from the posts that you're doing Guelph Lake II? Good luck. I've done GLI before. They always put on a good race, so you'll be in good hands. Don't worry about your bike handling skills. Just be aware of what's and who's around you and you'll be fine. The problems come up with people who don't know the rules (ride to the right, don't block, don't draft, etc).

Oh, and make sure you post a RR here afterwards. Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri shorts vs. bike shorts [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do have grippers....good call, thanks!

And thanks! I am doing GLII.

I do know the 'stay to the right, pass left' rule, I look before I pull out, I know not to draft....so I think I'm good in that respect.

Will do with the RR :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sugoi's stuff rawks! don't worry too much about body image stuff - not only is everyone else out there much more concerned with what they're doing than what you look like, i can guarantee you'll see a couple of people that will make you think "whoa, it could be worse!" ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
And Running Free (the one in Markham, anyways) was having a sale on the tri/bike stuff! I got my shorts for $29!!!!

That's what Toby says....there's always someone else. I've just never been this big and am having trouble adjusting to it, not that I want to adjust to it, mind you. Anyways, that's a whole other thread :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice deal! if i didn't have a number of budget-blowing things going on (new saddle on its way, going to motorhead tonight at the docks/sound academy, rallies next weekend & the wkend afterwards), i'd probably be doing some shopping..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Has the saddle actually arrived yet?

I'm jealous of the Motorhead show....with RHH too, right? Have fun!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nope, not yet. tracking still says it's at canada customs, which i sincerely doubt. i may have a delivery notice when i get home, at about 2am...but we're also waiting on another parcel from the US (motorcycle parts for tanker), which shipped out last monday, and it hasn't arrived yet either.

yep, reverend horton heat and nashville pussy (awesome redneck rock)...guarantee i'll have fun, just not sure what kind of shape i'll be in afterward! i've never been able to stay out of the pit at a club show, but at least i brought my garrison boots with me to change into after work, so i'll have ankle stabilization and the protection of steel toes ;)

will be trying my best to catch up on some sleep tomorrow night, too.. :p

cheers!

-mistress k