Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri short for IM
Quote | Reply
I can't find a good pair of tri short for an IM... I've tried Pearl Izumi and 2XU hipster and with both of them, after 30minutes run, I just want to switch to my regular running short...What do you wear? (I did 2 IM and for both of them I used a bike short and switch to a running short, but I'd like to save time and wear the fitting the whole day.)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri short for IM [IMV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used both the DeSoto Forza tri short and the DeSoto micro tri short. Both are awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just (as in 20 seconds ago) ordered the 400 mile shorts from DeSoto. Given that I will still probably change shorts for the run. It's takes seconds and 26 miles is a long way to not be comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
De Soto is Ok not a favourite, I like Voler and Louis Garneau, and Zoot.
But tri short is the way to go. In the IMs Ive done Ive had less chafing wearing the same thing all day. Plus I think better not to slow down in transitions even at IM. I dont even wear/own bike shorts anymore, just tri shorts for all rides, no matter how long.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri short for IM [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I dont even wear/own bike shorts anymore, just tri shorts for all rides, no matter how long.
i'm doing the same - don't want to get comfy in bike shorts then switch to my race suit and discover my undercarriage isn't as acclimatized to my saddle as i'd thought with a chamois instead of a cushy pad ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Try Sugoi, they make some nice tri shorts

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Shebeest ones. That's what I wore for IMFL last year w/ no issues. FWIW, I don't wear anything other than tri shorts anymore no matter how long the rides are either. For me, "less is more" in that area. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri short for IM [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on Sugoi and on deSoto Forza.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Tri short for IM [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the DeSoto tri shorts for my IM last year. It poured rain the whole time, as I was in Lake Placid. I had no issues with the tri short. I never wear them in training, either. I wear very highly padded bike shorts (Pearl Izumi Microsensor).
I didn't have any chafing or other issues.
But I pretty much roll that way always - bike shorts for all training, tri shorts during races.
First IM I changed into running shorts. If you aren't ever going to be comfortable in a tri short, just switch. Better to be comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri short for IM [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've been doing bricks in both desoto carrera low rise shorts and my zoot trifit suit. both pads are reasonably comfortable on the bike (still "getting my seat" - only put about 120km on the bike so far :/ ), and neither one bothers me for the run, so i figure i'm good to go!

the pad in my orca shorts isn't as comfortable, so i'm reserving them for shorter rides. i haven't run in them yet, but with the pad not being as cushy, i don't forsee any problems.

biggest trouble yet was forgetting to apply bodyglide before a longer ride saturday...finally felt ok again by last night ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I really like Desoto, especailly on the run- feels like you're not wearin' nothin'. Someone with experience should talk about wearing the 400 mile short for the whole IM- I'm interested in this and am considering it for IMlou..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm are you planning to medal in your age group at your IM? If not, I'd wear real bike shorts for 112 miles and then take 20 seconds to swap them in T2 for running shorts. Really... all that sweat after 112 miles, I'd rather run in something dry and clean that is suitable for running.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Tri short for IM [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like my Sugoi ones too! They are shorter than normal bike shorts, and the pad inside dries so fast. WAY comfy for running (I actually use it on my long runs even when I don't bike first :-D!)

-----
Follow me on Twitter! megankillian
Quote Reply
Re: Tri short for IM [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was about a month ago - have you had any more experience in your Orca shorts? I have a fairly new pair and I love the way they fit and feel but there's an oddly-placed seam that is KILLING me....I've worn them for a couple of shorter rides and a couple of longer ones now...wore them in today's HIM and I've got a couple VERY raw spots from it. Between them and my saddle I'm not sure which I want to light on fire more right now...yay for open wounds in "the region"...

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore a pair of Shebeest last year at IM CdA and LOVED them. Pockets on a back, supportive, comfy pad.

http://www.veltecsportsusa.com/...=201&itemno=2281

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+3 or 4 or whatever on DeSoto.

I have several pair (probably around 9-10) of what is currently the carrera short and I love them - they are all I train and race in.

I have not worn "real" bike shorts in over three years now, so I can't comment on wearing them for the IM then going to running shorts.

Re: Tri short for IM [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those lovely raw spots, grab either Desitin or mix equal parts Aquaphor and Maalox (any flavor :) ) into a paste and sleep with it on. The Maalox/aquaphor blows diaper rash cream out of the water... gotta love having a sister that's a pharmacist.

Edited to add: "Aqualox" pain in the ass to mix together. Its easier to mix together small batches, like 4 tablespoons of each into a bowl and wisk together for what seems like ages, then put into jar w/lid. Or, head up to your pharmacy and ask them to compound the two (it's common, don't feel weird about it). Also, you can add in Neosporin+pain relief for some additional TLC.
Last edited by: swimlinz: Jul 13, 09 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: Tri short for IM [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these are the ones i have:

no idea what model they are, but i think they're older stock - got them off ebay.

the only real problem i have with them is the sausage leg factor gives me chafing while running (would be fine with longer inseam, but instead i just use some bodyglide just below the legs). as long as i apply chamois butt'r before riding, i'm fine in them.

i also picked up a pair of orca tri briefs on sale for $10 at a local shop, and they're great for running, but my current saddle causes chafing issues at the back of where my thighs meet my undercarriage (have rub marks on all of my shorts in this spot)...since the briefs don't provide any coverage there, they were awful to ride in. also forgot sunblock that day, and sunburned my cheeks! i think i may just keep them for running until i get a new saddle.

i don't honestly think i'll be picking up any more orca gear. it works ok, but de soto's stuff works GREAT and keeps my bits and pieces happier.

oh yeah, and for any chafing, i just use weber vitamin E ointment. figured i'd give it a shot as it's my favourite thing to use on tattoos (plus i have plenty around the house), and by the next day everything feels fine. cheap and plentiful!

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Jul 14, 09 7:53
Quote Reply