Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri short for Adamo saddle?
Quote | Reply
I ride an Adamo TT saddle, and am having trouble finding a tri short that works well with it. Who is riding the same saddle and what works for you?

Here's what I've tried:
--2XU comp short (2010 model), this is my default short. Seams and padding work with Adamo, but my pair are way too big now (which I unfortunately found out last night pulling out race clothes to get ready for my 70.3 this weekend). I also do not like the fabric--it's thick and heavy. Short was re-designed in 2011, with a different chamois, so I don't know how the new model fits.
--Rocket Science Sports--love the fabric and the chamois, but the seams are in the exact place (running along thigh crease) where I sit on the saddle, so it's a no go.
--DeSoto Forza tri Short--same as the RSS, great fabric and chamois, but seams are in exactly the wrong place

In the meantime I guess me and my baggy pants are going to shuffle off to the race.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Tri short for Adamo saddle? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the pad in the kiwami turbox shorts is the best i've found for the v-flow max, which is similar in width to the adamo. i also race in the kaiman x-club suit, which has the same pad.

i'm also thinking of taking a shot with the new de soto carrera shorts, as they seem to have quite a wide pad, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Oh my - I just had one of those mega-light bulb moments. I have no advice, but I've been having trouble with tri shorts too, even with pairs I had used for years. And now it hit me (like a ton of bricks), they started when I switched to the Adamo.

Might give the Carrera a try. I used to love the Forzas but yeah...same problems with the seams.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri short for Adamo saddle? [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know the answer to the question but if you figure it out please let me know. I cannot figure out a good tri short that goes with these and Ive been suffering for three years.

I love desoto but the matchup between the seams and Adamo on Carrera is NOT good. Forza is pretty good w it. Craft are okay. Everything else... Terrible. I've resorted to bike shorts for now...

http://bethanyrutledge.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri short for Adamo saddle? [Atlrunrgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which carrera shorts? i have some from 2008 or '09 that have the "invisipad" and it's complete misery - the new ones (see the link, which shows the pad shape) have a totally different structure.

then again, if you say the forza is good (which does have the invisipad), perhaps we're just built differently.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I have some old ones and new ones...prob ten pairs total. I love them for everything BUT long distance cycling. I do have one super retro pair that must be pretty old.. Got then in a lot on eBay that have a bigger pad that's not too bad.

But, like you said... It prob depends on the person and your position

http://bethanyrutledge.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, everyone, I'm relatively new to the tri world and like to read these posts for information which usually consists of things I never would have considered, like tri shorts fitting saddles. Are certain shorts designed with a certain saddle in mind, or is it just a matter of trial and error by the rider? That could be costly. Also, what's the advantage of wearing bibs? I'm doing the Providence half iron and Tremblant Iron and feel like there is so much I don't know.

Many thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the Adamo and have worn almost every type of DeSoto shorts out there. Never had a problem. But I ride way forward on the Adamo, so there's really nothing to rub.

Last week I got a pair of the Soas tri shorts and in every way they are the best tri shorts I've ever worn. They probably aren't for everyone because they have a low waist and only a 5 inch inseam, but I had no question if I would chafe at all. Soas did send me the shorts for free..under no obligation what so ever. I'll be racing in them this year, giving up the DeSoto micro tri shorts that I've worn for 4 years. I also ordered another pair (and paid for them) as soon as I got back from my long ride. They are worth checking out. The sizes run small, I wear a small in most tri shorts and the medium Soas shorts fit great. The company was started by a female triathlete to fit the needs of female triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri short for Adamo saddle? [misko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
misko wrote:
Hi, everyone, I'm relatively new to the tri world and like to read these posts for information which usually consists of things I never would have considered, like tri shorts fitting saddles. Are certain shorts designed with a certain saddle in mind, or is it just a matter of trial and error by the rider? That could be costly. Also, what's the advantage of wearing bibs? I'm doing the Providence half iron and Tremblant Iron and feel like there is so much I don't know.

Many thanks

I think it is just a matter of trial and error. You have to try a bunch of different seats/shorts until you find what works for you. Most bike shops will let you try a lot of different saddles before you buy and John Cobb has a money-back guarantee, so that way you don't have to spend a lot of cash to figure it out.

I had an epiphany moment at my HIM race last weekend when I wore the DeSoto Forza shorts of my team kit instead of the DeSoto 400 mile shorts in which I usually ride. I had replaced my Adamo ISM race saddle with the Cobb V-Flow Plus because of continuous saddle problems and skin breakdown over the last year. There was no change with the new saddle. Same old problems in a different place and even worse discomfort in aero.

However, when I rode out of transition in the Forza shorts, I felt like a new woman! The Forza shorts have only a very minimal pad (you almost can't even call it a pad) and that was magic for me. In hindsight, think that the larger pad of the 400 mile shorts bunches up between my legs and the saddle and causes me more chafing than the thin chamois of the Forza. Sure, my sit bones will have to toughen up a bit more since I won't have the padding and I have not ridden longer than 53 miles this way yet, but I am cautiously optimistic that the thinner pad/Adamo combo (switched back yesterday) will be the right combo for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear the Desoto forza tri short, but the men's version, its longer and I like the 4 pockets, the small fits great. No problems with the Adamo in the forza's

Quote Reply