Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri bike fit and purchase
Quote | Reply
I am looking at two bikes, Cervelo P2 and WSD Trek Speed Concept 7.0. I would prefer to stay less than $2500 if possible. I haven't tried either bike yet but will before buying. I have been riding a Trek road bike which is a tad too big at 52cm. Any thoughts on these two bikes that make one a better choice than the other. Any other suggestions for other bikes to try based on my measurements? I am 5'5'', 158lbs, longer torso, shorter legs.

Also considering getting a pre- purchase bike fit and basing my decision on that, has anyone tried this method? Thanks.
Last edited by: kate60: Nov 5, 12 8:24
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike fit and purchase [kate60] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently made a new tri bike purchase. I was looking at both the P2 and SC 7s pretty seriously. I liked them both, and felt like either could have been perfectly adequate for me and I could have had a good fit on either. Then my favorite LBS got in a Shiv Tri, and, even though it was a little more $, I ended up going with it because I liked the guys at that LBS so much more. I ended up buying a fit with the bike, which I would do again in a second as my bike fitter was AWESOME! My point here isn't necessarily that you should look at the Shiv (though it's a great bike :)), but more that if you end up liking both bikes, the shop may end up being a good thing to consider, as you will most likely be spending a lot of time and additional money there. Also, my LBS gives me discounts and price-match on everything else I buy through them because I bought my bike there--might be something else to figure in when choosing bike/cost/etc.

Fun times :)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a bike fit! It makes a huge difference and also will identify any problems/issues you might have. Find a good bike fitter/shop get fit and then buy your bike.

"You can't win the race on the swim, but you can LOSE it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a certified fitter myself, I would highly recommend going to an independent bike fitter if you have on in your area before you plunk down a whole lot of money for something that you may have a doubt on in the back of your mind. Knowing your body and what you need to make it perform to it's fullest potential is the best thing before going to look for equipment. Typically independent fitters will have no bias on bikes and really are only concerned about making you the most comfortable and therefore fast. Then taking that information and finding the best tool for the job ;)

Also when looking for a local fitter you want to make sure that they have a lot of experience fitting triathletes, not just road cyclists using a tt bike. Try looking on the Retul, Wobble-Naught or Dartfish sights for fitter listings.

Good luck!
Quote Reply