Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training plan overload
Quote | Reply
Alternate title - My lack of ability to make a decision

27 Weeks to IMTX and I can't seem to pick (and stick with!) a plan. This will be my 9th IM. The last couple have been quite half-assed and my times reflected that. This year I'd like to really focus & execute well, but I'm totally waffling already.

My biggest problem in the past has been sticking with a plan. I skip workouts all the time & change plans about every 2 weeks (eek - this sounds horrible as I even type it)

Plans I've got:
Endurance Nation 26 week Ironman plan (purchased in 2006)
Ironman Start to Finish 24 week plan (by Roch Frey & Paul Huddle)
Matt Fitzgerald's boot w/ the 10 levels of IM plans
TriFuel plan
Beginner Triathlete advanced plan
19 week IM plan from my old tri club (by Grasky Endurance)

I've never followed any of these close enough to consider that I've 'used' them before.

oh, and I have a copy of Carmicheal's Time Crunched Triathlete on hold at the bookstore, although I think it only goes up to half ironman.

Having a coach is out of the question at this point. I tried that in the past & I did the same thing - skipped workouts & didn't follow instructions. Yes, I suck.

I totally know that following the plan is far more important than which plan I pick, but I've got to start somewhere.

Any advice? tips? guidance?

Am I the only one who gets stuck in analysis paralysis?
Quote Reply
Re: Training plan overload [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've done 8 IMs before you know what you need to do. Make your own plan. Get a calendar and write in S B or R on the appropriate days and maybe add "ez", "hard" or "long" to the letters - that's it. Don't plan too much, too detailed. KISS right? Just consistently do SBR with some breakthrough/key workouts each week. But you know this already...

What are your limiters? which discipline? is it time? is it injury/illness? is it diet?

Work on those.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Training plan overload [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinda funny, after typing up that post I was just writing down my season goals & my limiters to put together a plan to address them.

And just for the record, biggest limiters:

1. Settling and scraping by - having done IMs before, I don't have 'the fear' anymore. I'm very durable & stubborn, so I can 'always' finish, but I'm mired in mediocrity (ie - what difference does 25th place in my age group mean vs. 35th? Okay, not even that, more like 75th) I'm trying to change this mindset b/c it is not about 'just finishing' for me, that this year I want to do better.

2. Diet/weight - I've got about 35 pounds to lose. I could go so much faster if I were lighter. BUT again with the mediocrity - my 10K PR 35 lbs lighter, 50:21. My most recent 10K (at 35 lbs heavier), 55:32.

3. Discipline - see #1

I totally don't trust myself to write a plan. I think I'd believe in it even less than one of the canned plans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to find a training partner that will hold you to the workouts. Use what ever plan they are using. It might not be perfect for you, but if you do their workouts with them you'll be better off than doing 1/2 of the workouts that are in the plan your using.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK so what do you *like* doing? do you prefer to S, B or R?

Also: I am in the same boat as you re: diet, and am slowly making progress now - but I had to rewire myself and my triggers/responses to food and take a long hard look in the mirror. You are going to have to want to lose that 35lbs in order to tackle goal/limiter #1. Time to look at your habits and influences that are getting in your way for achieving that goal (assuming you really want it). Is it an emotionally difficult relationship? Does work really suck? Something is sucking that discipline out of you re: food. If you've done 8 IMs, you obviously have some discipline and mental toughness. You might need to apply it to another facet of your life.

Don't write a plan then. Just get out every day and do something that gets you closer to your goal. There's no point in having a plan if you won't follow it. So don't have one. Or: plan one week at a time. Make your "to-do" list for training Monday morning and see how well you do at checking it off. Read the "how'd you do" threads here to see what I mean. One week is easy to plan. One tri season is not.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with Andy; you need to make a checklist for the week. Long run, long ride, run w/threshold pace; 2 rides w/ intensity; a couple of swims; whatever. Then just check things off rather than planning out an entire 6mo

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much ladies for the advice :) I really do appreciate it.

I'm already working on implementing and will start with the much needed accountability.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a drop in group for running, biking and masters swimming. Something where there are always people running on a Saturday morning at 9 am and you can choose to drop in...so they are always there if you are struggling with motivation. Check out a cycling club. It isn't as cold to ride with others. I wouldn't write a plan for the rest of your training to TX because you may feel overwhelmed by it and then bag it altogether. I would just try to do something every day and think of a higher frequency of workouts rather than mega-training. Plus, that should help with weight-loss.

Happy training!

KK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your compelling "why" behind your racing? What are your goals - what is it that emotionally connects you to training and racing? Maybe a bigger question is, what is it that is holding you back and preventing you from following a plan?

It's hard to make improvement without diligent effort and discipline - you already know that based on your comments.

I think the biggest step for you is to get some serious accountability in place - if you don't want to use a coach, you need to identify a training partner (or a life partner) who can help you stay focused, remove obstacles and help you tap back into that fire that makes you want to go do an IM race. Someone who won't let you "waffle" or accept "half-assed" performance.

IM racing is hard stuff! Give yourself as many tools as possible to get the job done.

MirZ

Triathlon Lifestyle Expert and Licensed Sports Nutritionist

Get your FREE training blueprints at http://www.triathlonexperts.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suggestion dont do what you dont want to do, have 3 key sessions a week which by the end of the week you should have done the rest do as you feel . fact is you have been writing your own program for 8 IMs so trust your self the most important think is that you enjoy what you do, the rest will take care off itself

a female client of mine wrote the underneath.
nothing better than knowing who you are and then make the best out of it.

As regards putting in the hours and committing to structured training, the only hesitation I have about this is making training feel like another job. I love variety and find that if I put too much structure on things, they lose all of the fun and I end up making excuses to avoid them. So for example, if I have to swim every day at a certain time doing the same sets etc., I go nuts and end up dreading the session. Whereas, if I’m left to my own devices, I’ll generally (but not always) fit in the sessions around my own timetable. Maybe that means that I’m not suited to a strict training regime but I think that if I could include variety and flexibility in my training,(i.e. training with the group, training on my own etc.) I would be able to keep up the commitment better. Let me know what you think.

As regards taking it “seriously”, if by that you mean committing to the programme, I’ve dealt with that above. If it means caring about results, I’ve noticed that I perform better when I don’t care too much, as getting too competitive means my head gets in the way and my performance suffers....maybe a bit strange but true! ;-)
Quote Reply