Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Question (run sucks during race)
Quote | Reply
So I thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has some good feedback or advice. During training, my runs seem fine, etc. But then when I raced this past weekend, my run just was humiliating. To be fair to myself, I knew I wasn't as prepared as need be (this was like a c or d race), but it still sucked to hit the run and die. I just didn't feel energy, etc.

Also felt kinda odd tummy wise and ended up burping some, which helped alleviate the discomfort. But this was off an on the whole time.

So other than the fact that I need to log more miles overall, which I already figured, anything else? Could it be as simple as nutrition? Maybe not taking in enough on the bike?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I refuse to have another run like that!!!

Emily

------------------------------------------------------------
Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Re: Training Question (run sucks during race) [bdiva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe going too hard on the bike?

What did you do for nutrition? What were the distances for the race? Temps/weather?

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm right there with you. I LOVE the bike. I used to be a decent runner....actually qualified for Boston last year......right now is a different story. I had to do an embarassingly few mile repeats today and it was all I could do to get out there and do them. I think my problem is my head, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realized I didn't provide much info. It was wildflower long course, so hot, but not too bad. I think 80's. On the bike I had 3 bags of cliff shots, but apparently only ate maybe half to 2/3. I also had water, drank maybe 3/4 bottle, and a bottle of a gatorade/water mixture that I drank about 3/4 of. Also had maybe 1/4 of a bottle of gatorade endurance around mile 44.

So as I write that I'm thinking that could be part of the issue? That's not enough calories, is it? Hmmmm.

Em

------------------------------------------------------------
Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
based on similar experiences, it sounds like you didn't eat enough...i used to feel weak at the half-way mark until I started eating 'real' food on my long irdes like peanut butter and honey sandwiches or bananas... you definitley have to fuel the 'engine' to make sure you have a successful run. i also try to make sure to 'top off' with a gel about 10-15 minutes before my ride is over to give me some extra energy for the run. this 'system' has worked well for me--i am typically able to catch most of the folks who passed me on the bike. :-)
Quote Reply