Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Plan Help!
Quote | Reply
Hi. I'm completely new to this. I did a sprint tri last summer and trained completely wrong for it. I went hard all the time, did the tri on tired legs and still had fun! So, I'm back at it this year to train better and see if I can improve my times. I was a leisurely runner before the tri and I like to run. I'm not fast, but I like to make gains in my speed and overall fitness. I did end up achieving my goal time, which was 1:45 (15swim/55bike/30run).

Long story short, I have been using a 19 week 80/20 endurance plan with HR bike and power run. I haven't started swimming yet because I can't fit it in right now. I am planning to add it next week. I started the plan in January and I generally do about 3 - 4 hours of bike time and 2 - 3 hours of running per week on this new plan and I feel like I am making gains. My legs sometimes feel tired after a workout, but not like they did last year, all the time.

So, my plan ends in May. My tri is in July. I only did the one tri last year. What do I do? Go back and adjust dates and do a new timed run to keep making gains? Or find a tri that is in April/May and do 2 tris this year?

Any advice is helpful! And not sure what, if anything, I put in my signature.

~kea
Quote Reply
Re: Training Plan Help! [keakathleen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your goal is to keep improving and have some fun along the way, I vote for an April/May race. That will be a good gauge for where you are at, and you can use that excitement to build for the July race.

If you can't find another tri, a local 5km or 10km running race could be fun too.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Plan Help! [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. If I do a race/triathlon or something close to the end of the plan, then what do I do in-between? Make my own in-between plan? I have seen a bunch of training weeks on here and I suppose I could use weeks in the training plan I do have. But, do you pick the last 4 weeks of the plan?

For example, let's say there are 8 weeks between races. Do you start again and do the last 8 weeks of the plan after the race?

~ kea
Quote Reply
Re: Training Plan Help! [keakathleen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, you can totally repeat the plan to get you up to the second race. If after the first race you identify some weaknesses that you can work on, that might give you a focus for the in between weeks as well.

I tend to schedule my season by picking my "A" race and then working back from it. This year I'm also doing another race, a lower priority one, and that luckily fits in right where my plan says to do a practice race.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Plan Help! [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, good call on working on weak areas. I will plan on trying to find a race or tri, if I can. Thank you for the advice! This is a great forum.
Quote Reply