Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training During Pregnancy
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I'm new to this site and am looking for some advice. I have recently discovered I'm pregnant (very early days - only 6 weeks). Not totally out of the blue (we were trying!) and super excited with the news, the reality of it is sinking in and very different to the idea!... Mainly that I'm starting to feel a little concerned about my training and how the pregnancy is going to affect things.

New to triathlon (I’ve done a lot of running events in the past including 2 marathons) and having dabbled with triathlon last year, I’ve trained hard over the winter and this is my first full season racing with 3 events down and 2 more to go – both Olympic distance. I’m loving it and currently train 8 sessions a week and hope to continue this leading up to the 2 Olympics (one in July and the other in August) with a half marathon in September.

I’m after advice from anyone who’s been through this, and am interested in anything you have to say!

So far, I’ve been proactive and signed up to a pre-natal pilates class (which has now filled in my only rest day of the week!) I have reasonable core strength, but figure improving this can’t hurt as I want my body to return to normal as quick as possible and for me to get back to training at a fairly intense level as soon as I can… I’ve lost a lot of weight over the last few years (around 4 stone) with the help of running and now triathlon (and an all-round healthy lifestyle/diet of course) but I am feeling quite horrified that I will lose my fitness during pregnancy if i struggle with energy / carrying the bump etc and that the weight might start to pile back on.
Quote Reply
Re: Training During Pregnancy [BebeStone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!!! I applaud your enthusiasm to stay fit/keep training/racing/not gain too much weight. Have you discussed this with your midwife/doctor yet?

The reality is - it's different for everyone. I think the key point is to listen to your body. If you are feeling good & your doctor isn't concerned, then carry on. At some point you will slow down, either because your body/baby doesn't like what you are doing or you physically can't.

Your blood volume is about to dramatically increase. Hitting those target heart rates becomes harder/impossible. If it feels uncomfortable, back it off. Now is not a time for fitness gains or PRs, just a chance to maintain/hopefully not lose too much.

You are more likely to overheat in the summer - drink lots, stay cool, train at "off" hours.

Not trying to be negative, just don't get too down on yourself if things change and your body isn't cooperating the way you think it should.

I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant with my second. Life has gotten in the way of staying as fit as I'd like this pregnancy, but I'm still feeling pretty good & doing what I can. Some weeks it's more than others. At this point I'm just counting down to being done & very much looking forward to getting back in shape this fall.
Quote Reply
Re: Training During Pregnancy [BebeStone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! These are exciting times. I am a triathlete and a professional who cares for pregnant women, and a mom.
You are concerned that pregnancy will affect things. You are correct. But, it isn't forever and assuming no unexpected complications you can maintain a lot of your fitness. Women who exercise regularly have less risk of diabetes in pregnancy and a higher chance of normal birth.
Becoming a mother will affect you in many ways some of which you will anticipate, perhaps not all. Your priority while pregnant will be good health for you, and your child. Fitness can be a part of that with a few precautions. Here are some general guidelines from American College of OB/GYN on the topic. Good luck!
http://m.acog.org/...ncy?IsMobileSet=true
Last edited by: niagirl: Jun 14, 16 17:49
Quote Reply
Re: Training During Pregnancy [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said.
Quote Reply
Re: Training During Pregnancy [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm at 30 weeks with a first time pregnancy.

First trimester was unpleasant--I was nauseous and slow and had terribly low energy.

Second trimester was great--I didn't get back to running my usual paces, but got in a few sub-7min/mile runs and did plenty of advanced yoga and some interval training. It was hard to get clear information about what was advisable and not in terms of athletic pursuits, so I just went according to comfort.

Third trimester has slowed me down quite a bit. I haven't gained much weight for the pregnancy but what I have gained has all been in the belly and has made my center of gravity very funny. I run at a pace where I am passed by the elderly and overweight. I didn't know if was possible to "run" this slowly. It is very humbling. But I'm still outside and moving, which I am grateful for. Have done a few trail bike rides as well. When I feel overtaxed now I just stop and walk or end the workout. It's hard not to let your ego get in the way. I have to fight my learned tendency to push through pain and extreme discomfort.

Relaxin does funny things to your body. Be careful with your ankles and joints!
Quote Reply
Re: Training During Pregnancy [darkhorsepick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies.

Although darkhorsepick - I wish I had ever managed to do sub 7min/miles, my 5K PB is 23.52!!

Thanks for the link to the American College of OB/GYN. This was an interesting read as I've struggled to find much help and guidance online.

I haven't seen a midwife yet, I have a first appt booked for 2 weeks time so will discuss it with them, but the general opinion from your replies and other things I've read online seems to be to listen to my body and slow down when it's telling me I need to. I too will have to learn to not let my ego get in the way! I think I'm slightly afraid that if I stop when I feel I need to and don't push through the pain, I will have forgotten what that's like when the baby is born and will never fully get back to it and push through that pain barrier!

Happy pregnancies everyone. I have a long way to go....
Quote Reply