Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training/exercising during periods of personal stress
Quote | Reply
Hi all, this is my first post in here. I've signed up on slowtwitch to use the training log and track my workouts, and found myself checking out the forum....

I am writing because I am curious how other women athletes approach training during times in our lives when things aren't so great (divorce, job lay-off, family death, relationship problems, financial problems, the list goes on and on). Of course everybody and every problem is different, but I have noticed my response to emotional stress is a fairly predictable pattern: hard to get out the door, I don't meet my training expectations (which are not any higher than before) and thus feel more miserable. And, like the rest of you, I'm not usually one to make excuses and slack off in training. It's that the enjoyment and dopamine boost of exercise is somehow gone when I'm really stressed.

It's interesting to me because I have noticed both men and women who use training and exercise as an outlet for these types of personal stress times and seem to achieve personal strength and growth as a result of their training, and I wonder what goes through their minds, and if I can somehow apply that to my training and life goals and see if it works.

So, how have your training routines, goals and "mantras" changed during stressful times? What do you say to yourself to put the stress aside and enjoy the moments of exercise? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Training/exercising during periods of personal stress [trudgen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll start by saying I probably have not had serious personal problems compared to most. When I get stressed (usually work or finance related) exercising is my time to forget about it and think about whatever I want to think about. Sometimes I do forget about whatever is stressing me out and other times it's all I think about. In the latter situations, I'll run through the worst possible (well realistic) outcome and try to think of solutions or what I would do. There's a 50/50 chance on these occasions that I come back relaxed rather than more stressed.
Quote Reply
Re: Training/exercising during periods of personal stress [trudgen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's interesting to me because I have noticed both men and women who use training and exercise as an outlet for these types of personal stress times and seem to achieve personal strength and growth as a result of their training, and I wonder what goes through their minds, and if I can somehow apply that to my training and life goals and see if it works.

Training is stress relief for me. I am very anxious and have trouble focusing if I don't get a morning workout in, so getting up and exercising first thing is a preemptive strike against anxiety for me. It helps me deal with stuff better. Not in any conscious "I can handle X at work, I ran 9.5 miles this morning and rode 12" way but just that it's calming. So if I wake up and want to go back to bed, I only have to think how much better I'll feel throughout the day if I exercise.

What do you find yourself doing in that stressful circumstance that you would normally be spending training time? What do you do instead?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When things get really stressful I personally put *training* on the back burner and simply focus on trying to get out the door for a nice easy run or even just a walk to try and calm me down. Trying to stick to a plan during those times just makes me more stressed and makes me feel worse then I already do. But you know what, if I don't get that done then so be it. Yes, exercise oftentimes is a stress reliever but those times when it's just adding to the stress level it's just not worth it in my book.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, staying focused when I am upset is one of the hardest things in training and racing. If I can do it, it's also one of the most rewarding. Other problems seem somehow much easier to address after nailing a hard workout.
I think the key is to be 100% engaged with what you are doing right now and to put everything else aside. I find it a huge help to have a number (or a person!) to chase. A real concrete goal that I can fill my head with. Focusing on technique can be a big help as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exercise during times of stress is a good thing. But there has been some research that shows that intense stressful exercise during times of stress might not be. I'll look for a link and try to post it. It's somewhere in my school notes from last semester.

I don't remember the specifics, but your body can only do so much to recover, and stress and hard workouts might be overdoing. Making sure you get good quality sleep, eat right, and exercise is important to helping your body deal with stress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My stress is usually related to time (not having enough) so I skip workouts when I'm particularly stressed, the feeling of "it's x o'clock already?" when I get back is just not pleasant.

I haven't had any of the other, more significant stresses that you mentioned (knock on wood) so perhaps the opposite is true. It can either take your mind off things, or give you alone time to let you think things through.
Quote Reply
Re: Training/exercising during periods of personal stress [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Exercise during times of stress is a good thing. But there has been some research that shows that intense stressful exercise during times of stress might not be. I'll look for a link and try to post it. It's somewhere in my school notes from last semester.

I don't remember the specifics, but your body can only do so much to recover, and stress and hard workouts might be overdoing. Making sure you get good quality sleep, eat right, and exercise is important to helping your body deal with stress.

I would second this! The way I see it, you only have so much 'emotional energy' or 'focused attention' to give every day. It can be used on emotional issues that require attention, work, training, family... the list goes on.

So even though intense training is rewarding, and often makes you feel better afterwards, sometimes I've found that I need to be gentle with myself. When I know that I won't be able to focus well during a hard workout, I lower expectations in terms of speed, number of repetitions, or overall distance.

I'm definitely not suggesting you ditch exercise all together during periods of stress-- but instead of doing an interval session on the track, maybe go for a nice trail run, or whatever makes you happy.

Just remember to be kind to yourself :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a general rule workouts help me with stress but depends on how much and how many areas of my life. My season ended early and my training went TOTALLY out the door as I am moving - changing cities, changing jobs, had a custody battle with ex (won) and my bird died - all at once - oh and I entered menopause. So I am now just doing what I can when I can but had only gone swimming 2x in 2 months, handful of runs....bike commuted but that is it. Getting a house that I have lived in for 13 years ready to sell has been hard enough but add all the other things and training had to go to the wayside.

I will be back at normal training level when I can but one too many things just got in the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, there are 2 different types of stresses that I deal with. One is stress and the other is stress that gets me **really upset**...and by this I mean... really upset..can't eat, etc.

The first...just general stressful situations (work, finance, fight with the hubby, etc...) since I am a morning and evening workout-er, the morning helps me be able to handle everything during the day a little better...I'm calmer, more focused and I get stressed out by my job which is daily, very stressful, less. The afternoon workouts help me take my mind off of the stuff that stresses me out during the day (work, deadlines, etc) which would exacerbate the already existing stressor.

The second stress- the kind that makes me want to crawl in a hole and hide, or keeps me on the verge of tears for days on end... I try to make the morning workout a priority. I will hit my expected training goals 60-70% of the time here, but usually by the end of the day I am so emotionally exhausted that I can go home, knowing that I've done something to keep me sane :)

My husband was in a bad bike accident in February. 1st time in his life he'd broken a bone, and he broke 3-- straight, easily fixable fracture of the left wrist, major fracture requiring surgery of the right wrist, and broke his hip. This was 2 or 3 weeks before the Bar exam that I was taking (which I didn't want to take in the first place but got talked into it.. I went to law school but KNEW I didn't want to practice). I was still working full time...And, my baby sister was 8.5 months pregnant...So we'll say my stress level before he went over his handlebars was already about a 9.5 out of 10. Not a lot of room.

There were 2 things that kept me sane.
1- My prayer and quiet time was the most important thing for me to do each day...
2- the second most important thing we discovered, is that I had to get out the door to to run or swim or hop on the trainer... and to be with some friends for an hour each day was very important. In fact, my husband, broken and pretty much helpless... MADE me go 4 mornings a week to do something. He and I both know that my stress level is greatly reduced by physical activity.

So... if it is something that HELPS you handle your stress, do so in increments that don't increase it. Don't set any new goals and if you find yourself stressing b/c you didn't get your track work in on the right interval..change it from a track workout to just a run. Now, if I'm angry...gimme a track workout, or bike or swim intervals that will knock me over.. THAT is a great way for me to handle anger!!!

good luck..and remember, slowly..in the nose....out the mouth... will automatically calm you..Mr. Miagi knew his stuff :)

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Re: Training/exercising during periods of personal stress [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But there has been some research that shows that intense stressful exercise during times of stress might not be.

You're right and when you think about it, it makes sense: The mind and body are connected. Intense exercise is stressful for the body. Intense emotional stress is too (body secrets cortisol and other steroids which keeps it reved up). Together, you're compounding stress.

Making sure you get good quality sleep, eat right, and exercise is important to helping your body deal with stress.

x2

Quote Reply
Re: Training/exercising during periods of personal stress [KT-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! I appreciate all the input. I have never felt so “at home” with strangers before! Thanks!

KT-Tri said- For me, there are 2 different types of stresses that I deal with. One is stress and the other is stress that gets me **really upset**...and by this I mean... really upset..can't eat, etc.

This second kind of stress I was specifically referring to in my original post, although of course the daily stress plagues everyone. The daily stresses- work, time, money- I agree can be helped by some exercise. However the "life-altering stress" is a different bag. About few years ago, I learned my long distance boyfriend had been having an affair and I ended the relationship. That was one of those times where I couldn’t eat or sleep, and I lost weight and strength and would try to go on runs and just end up walking and crying home. After working through that and finding a healthy place I got really into training, did my first IM and first 50k run last summer, it felt great. This year, I went back to school and am stuck in an awful relationship with my primary advisor, I’ll spare you the details, but let’s just say it has somewhat of the same effect; the burden feels endless. I’m seeing a therapist and have decided the degree is worth it no matter what (I finish in June ’11), and so now I’m focusing on some semblance of a training regime, because I tell myself it should make me feel better! That’s why I asked you ladies!

Tigerchik said- What do you find yourself doing in that stressful circumstance that you would normally be spending training time? What do you do instead?

This is a great question. Mostly, I find myself just sitting and thinking. Worrying and scheming. Sometimes I’ll call my sister and vent to her, look at the clock and realize I could (should?) have done a 45 min run instead. Or I’ll watch a movie or read to try to get my mind off of things. Occasionally I will stress eat.

GhiaGirl- Exercise during times of stress is a good thing. But there has been some research that shows that intense stressful exercise during times of stress might not be. I'll look for a link and try to post it. It's somewhere in my school notes from last semester.

I would love to read this. Lately I’ve realized that the structured schedule of IM training is not a good idea right now, neither is training again for an IM. I have been doing what “feels good”- swim sometimes, run sometimes, but this also often means curling up in bed with a movie or book, or napping the afternoon away. I am trying to be patient and good to myself, but it’s difficult. I want my old strong, happy, energetic, accomplished self back! I want to want to go on long runs and get the rush of exercise and the thrill of racing. Perhaps a different venue for exercise- yoga, climbing, etc.- is what I should try, for a new challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of what you do instead are healthy. Stress eating not so much but sitting and thinking are good, calling a sister, etc.

you're not doing anything in that time that's making the situation worse (that's what I was looking for).

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Training/exercising during periods of personal stress [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My urge to run is very strong during stressful times. I crave the time alone to think. I suspect the running also has a tranquilizing effect. One time I ran for mental health and over did it, came out of it with an injury, so I have learned to rein it in. There is a line below which the running is good, and beyond which it tears me down.

In really stressful times, I run for the running, not for the paces or the time goals, just to get out there.

The biking and swimming? They don't have the same effect for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a very timely post. I just got laid off a week and a half ago, and was very surprised to find the exact thing you mention - that the stress-relief training usually provides was completely gone. Despite having tons of free time to train, it's been really hard for me to get out the door. I've been dealing with it a lot like lil'pups and just sort of doing the best I can and put my focus on just getting out there.

I think stress effects our bodies in all kinds of different ways and not to be cliche, but you have to take it day by day/do the best you can/blah, blah, blah...

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Training/exercising during periods of personal stress [Rae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with Rae. When I am feeling really REALLY stressed (like now!!) I have nothing more to give. I would love to go out and exercise and feel better, but I just can't. I can do a nice walk, but nothing strenuous......I just don'thave the mental energy. I wish I could be different, but I can't!! Anyway, that is absolutely no help, except to know you are not alone!
Quote Reply
Re: Training/exercising during periods of personal stress [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the things I found that helps that is to schedule things, not necessarily workouts, but volunteer things, or lunch with friends. Since so many of us are used to go go go when we have a lot of time, we tend to think I'll get to it later and put it off, but if you have appointments etc, then you have to go run when you have time because you won't have time later. if that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I approach sex as exercise in stress. really helps. Just do it and keep doing it
Quote Reply
Re: Training/exercising during periods of personal stress [ajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha!! You are too funny!! I love it!!
Quote Reply
Re: Training/exercising during periods of personal stress [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you in NYC?? I am moving down - and will have lots of free time in september (well when in town - will be back and forth to Boston) - we could meet up which I know helps me make sure I train ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Training/exercising during periods of personal stress [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually in Seattle now, (but too lazy to change my ST handle.) But thanks for the offer, meeting other folks definitely helps me get my butt out the door.

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you mapped out your "why" relative to training and racing? What are your compelling goals, the fire in your belly that makes your want to get up, get out and do triathlon on your GOOD days? Often, we have our training plans all figured out (the tactics), but without a crystal clear, big picture of why we are doing this the tactics have no anchor. Then when that blue day appears, we float, rudderless on a sea of ambivalence.

My favorite book in the universe is Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill - it's not just about making money, it's about finding your "why" and tapping into your desire to accomplish it. Whatever that might be for you with regard to racing, in your low moments it may be a helpful trigger to get re-energized. Without a strong sense of purpose, efforts can wane.

Your stress may be your system's way of telling you to take a break to process some other issue going on in your life. Exercise can certainly help pull you out of it... if you can muster the energy. Alternatively, free-writing, mind-mapping, and dumping your troubles into a notebook can go a long way toward relieving a burdened mind to free you up to pursue your passion.

MirZ

Triathlon Lifestyle Expert and Licensed Sports Nutritionist

Get your FREE training blueprints at http://www.triathlonexperts.com
Quote Reply
Re: Training/exercising during periods of personal stress [MirZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even though during college, running was my 'stress relief', now it much more revolves around swimming. Glad to hear everyone else's input!
Quote Reply