Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainerroad - power vs cadence?
Quote | Reply
So I jumped on the trainerroad bandwagon recently - love it - and I have Garmin Vector pedals and they give me a prescribed power output right? - But I'm wondering - do we just go into the gear that gets out HR up to get the power they want while forgetting about cadence, or do I try to keep 80+ RPMs while targeting the power they want? Because if I take cadence into account (maintaining 80+) then I'm not stressing my heart too much...
Meaning to keep 80+ RPMs with the power they want, I'm in an 'easy' gear. If I up the gear (which increases HR) but still givig the power output they want, my cadence drops.
I hope that makes sense.
I'm talking about for a normal stretch of time... level...
Thanks ladies.
s.m
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad - power vs cadence? [space.monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the workouts will tell you what rpm to aim for (Jay Peak for example says 75+ while seated and 70+ while standing; local hero does as well) and a lot of them will ask you to spin a lighter gear at a higher cadence (endurance spin) to get used to spinning.

Personally, when I'm not told what cadence to aim for, I try to keep it light and spinny because my natural inclination is to grind at a low cadence and I'm trying to actually learn to efficiently use a wider range of my gears (had a road bike less than a year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like what was mentioned already, many of the workouts will provide you a prescribed cadence. When it comes to all TR workouts though, unless otherwise stated, you want to keep your cadence in a safe/efficient range around 85-100. Your HR will go up and down naturally through most of the workouts and this is a good thing and a vital part of structured training. As long as your FTP is accurate, rest assured you are getting a good workout in, even when your HR is low during the rest intervals.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah, cadence, the red herring of cycling.

I rarely pay attention to cadence on TR. Rarely as in never. I tell my athletes that I care a lot more about what they do and not what rpm's they do.

I worry about my watts and my athletes watts, if they are in range to elicit the physiological response I designed the workout around. ie let's say they ride Elephants, did they manage to hit vo2 for all 6 5 min intervals?

Watts win races, cadences don't.

I'd also argue that producing more torque not less torque while on the trainer isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad - power vs cadence? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Watts win races, cadences don't.

Hah! Love this!!! Might be one of my next tattoos...

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply