Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tracking your cycle on your training logs?
Quote | Reply
Are you tracking your menstrual cycle in your training log or using any of that information in your training schedule? This topic came up in the thread about modifying your period for race day and Allie cited this article: http://www.thinkmuscle.com/...anet-estrogen-03.htm

From the article:
"Several coaches suggest their female athletes log their menstrual cycle and associated physical and emotional states. They can also chart their exercise and athletic performance to establish strongest and best training days and when they are impaired. This will facilitate modifying a training schedule by planning for strenuous sessions, peak training and when rest is needed. Factors that can be altered are volume (number and duration of repetitions), intensity (speed and load), and difficulty (skill level and injury risk). Nutritional considerations should also be factored to optimize recovery and fuel stores. Considering that testosterone peaks around ovulation, it may be beneficial to plan for peak strength training loads at this time."

I would love to hear if anyone has experience with this subject.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking your cycle on your training logs? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only notice a difference in cycling, but I think it's because I enjoy running, so I never really pay attention to pace etc, and if I feel a little slow running, at least I'm running and that usually helps my mental state. But on the bike my watts are about 25% lower for the same perceived effort. I don't modify my training really. If I have a ride scheduled that day (usually it's just 1 day for me, the day before I start my period) I attempt the ride, but if I can't get the intervals (usually I can tell w/in the first 10 minutes of a ride...even in the easy warm up...but I'll give the first couple intervals a go) then I throw in the towel.

My training plan doesn't really incorporate rest weeks, but quality rest between hard workouts week in/week out. So bailing on a workout or two every month doesn't bother me. Not sure if it bothers my coach when i do that :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking your cycle on your training logs? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I track it but don't train to it. Start of my period gets it's own special "other" workout in TP.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply