Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Toes on FIRE
Quote | Reply
Someone in the main forum posted about having foot burn (on the ball of his foot). I chimed in but too asking a question but the posting flew by due to the incredible speed at which threads move there. So here we go...

Prior to 2003 IMCDA I never had foot pain while riding my bike. During the race that day (on the bike) my toes felt as if they were ON FIRE. My guess was that it was the 'foot burn' I've heard other people talking about, just in a different place. Since then its only gotten worse (when I ride) and now happens during every ride. I know that i need knew shoes (bigger) because my foot has gotten wider since having my girls, but outside of that does anyone have any experience with this? I can't figure out how to make it stop. Basically the pain (BURN) comes on about 15 miles into any ride I have and stays. I ride through the serious uncomfortablness of the pain but it sucks. It's gotten to the point now that I'm constantly wiggling my toes, standing up, adjusting anything and everything I can to alleviate the burn (which totally distracts my ride).

I'm not sure what to do and my hubby (cyclist for a gazillion years) has no idea beyond "buy new shoes".

Leslie

Quote | Reply
I've got the same thing going on. Mine starts really bothering me after a couple of hours and if it's hot it's worse. Riding w/o socks has helped me and when it starts to hurt I have to loosen the straps on my shoes. This Sunday, my foot went numb--which made pedaling a little interesting!

I recently found out my seat was a bit high. I fixed that and it's helped some but I'm going to look into those wedges and see if that helps.

I hope you find some relief. (Me too) It totally sucks and hurts like hell until you get your shoe off.

FYI, I do have some problems w/ neuromas in my feet. You may have developed one. I'm trying to wait until I just can't take it anymore for a cortisone shot. I had one in my left foot 4 years ago and it's helped a ton. Now my right foot is bothering me again!

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Toes on FIRE [wolffpack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you have morton's neuroma. It's when the nerve between you metatarsals are being pinched. So, then the nerve gets inflamed. That's why when you take your shoes off, it feels better. The bones can spread out to relieve the pain. Try a few things: wider shoe, ice your foot, take an anti-inflammatory. what kind of pedal do you used? I was using speed play. Switched to a bigger base pedal so more of my foot was support. There are pads you can try to help keep the bones apart. Hopefully, you would not have to go to a cortisone shot. and last resort, an operation to remove the nerve. I was also looking into custom bike shoes that are made to my feet. It's a really painful problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Toes on FIRE [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It sounds like you have morton's neuroma.[/quote]
So I'm assuming I need to go to my podiatrist on this one? Could this have anything to do with plantar fasciitis too? I had that during IMCDA in my left foot (although both feet have toe fire now) and had to walk nearly all of the run just to get through the race.

Quote | Reply
I don't know if Plantar fasciits and and morton's neuroma have anything to do with each other. Pf is when the sheath on the bottom of your foot gets inflamed. the sheath that covers your tendon on the bottom of your foot. Both have to do with inflammation. Custom shoe inserts can be a hugh help for pf. Not the kind you buy at the drug store. The kind where they take a mold of your foot. cost about $350.00. but worth it. good luck with the podiatrist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paging Dr. Roof....Dr. Roof. Paging Dr. Roof.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been there with my toes and balls of feet on the bike- going numb, achey/burning, etc. I have a habit of not relaxing my feet when cycling. I tend to try and grip with my toes
like if I was wearing thong sandals or something. Yeah, a little strange.

I don't ride as much anymore, but I recently had a bout of metatarsal myalgia (hope my spelling is correct here). It started around mile 5-8 on most of my runs along the balls of my feet.
Hot, burning sensation, then about a mile or so later my toes would go numb. Lots of different theories, toe box too small, socks taking up too much room/too tight, frictional areas on
feet, etc. I started to ice and use my TP massage ball and calf roller with use of ibuprofen. Cut back on my mileage for a couple of weeks. Really lube up my feet prior to putting
socks on and wearing either my Pegasus roads/trails and leaving my Mizunos at home (toe box seems more confining). Haven't had a reoccurrence *knocking on wood*

N~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had it horribly. so i bought KEO peddles for bigger platform, and carbon soled shoes. after that my feet didn't burn until close to 100 miles. prior to that they burned around 40 miles.

it sucks. new shoes and evaluate the peddles and platform is my advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of along the lines of what kittycat suggested... new/different pedals, or adjustment to where your foot/the power of your pedalstroke is hitting your current pedals. Maybe a set of Speedplays or something, so that you have more room to move? Otherwise, I would say a Morton's Neuroma is a good guess. In that case, different pedals or an adjustment there probably still help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of toxins accumulate in your feet (if you rub your feet you can feel them). I have been using a product similar to this http://www.official-foot-detox.com/ for years and love them. They have helped with hot spots and stinky feet :-)

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply